C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM
mausny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look

1960 vette chassis
AMCE front XP900 front clip
1964 327/365hp motor
4 speed tranny

So I'm looking to keep the car the way it looks but change a few parts.

It had drum all the way around. I want to put front disc brake on. There is a set on ebay for around $300.00 is that an OK kit?

I have the generator still and want possibly switch it over to an alternator and run a new MSD ignition. thought?

I'm looking to lower the front end. Id there a company that offers drop spindle's?

The fiberglass is weak and old. I don't want to soda blast the car so what's a good way to strip it. Mainly the engine bay. I'm pulling the motor and want to clean the engine bay up. the rest of the car I will bring to a body shop to do.

There is a lot of people in the North Houston area that have the knowledge to help me do this, please feel free to stop by my new shop and help me get a game plan on what to do this car..

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Just ONE pic? You are a TEASE!

I commend you for preserving the history of the car... don't see enough of these kinds of restorations when they are tastefully done.

Best of luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Yes, there are dropped spindle supports. Depends on how far you want to drop it, and why it is raised in the first place (gasser style straight axle, stock suspension with square tubing risers, stock suspension with stiffer springs?). If any of those, perhaps a return to "stock" configuration might be what is needed. Also check your tire sizes.

I put in 53/54 Chevy passenger car stock spindle supports to drop my front end about 5/8". Does not sound like a lot, but it was exactly what I wanted / needed. I think Fatman offers a 2" drop version.

Plasticman
Old 08-08-2014, 11:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Skip the MSD
Period cars are cool, how bout a Mallory unilite with a better coil painted black..or yellow?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

tractionmasters on the rear!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM
mausny
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Skip the MSD
Period cars are cool, how bout a Mallory unilite with a better coil painted black..or yellow?
I have the full Mallory set up with street strip switch! should get it checked and just use it! need to rebuild the generator or get it tested!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM
mausny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Yes, there are dropped spindle supports. Depends on how far you want to drop it, and why it is raised in the first place (gasser style straight axle, stock suspension with square tubing risers, stock suspension with stiffer springs?). If any of those, perhaps a return to "stock" configuration might be what is needed. Also check your tire sizes.

I put in 53/54 Chevy passenger car stock spindle supports to drop my front end about 5/8". Does not sound like a lot, but it was exactly what I wanted / needed. I think Fatman offers a 2" drop version.

Plasticman
Yes I have tubing risers in the front coil springs, there is also air shocks in the rear. this car has not been touched since 77' and was built by my uncle (big gear head) in the late 60's. So not that I'm learning that this is the look of back then, I may just clean up those parts and re install them. The car sure does look cool sitting in the shop. I just don't want to ruin history or waste time and money on changing the car when I should have done my research. Thanks guys.

I'm pulling the motor to get checked out and built for 93 pump gas. I take more pics as I do the build. Here is a few just so you can see what I'm starting with.
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Get it sorted & safe, painted in early 60s racing fashion and you are done!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Get some old school type graphics and a bass boat paint job

Even a front entry Mopar style scoop would look proper on something like that;nothing too showy or perfect; White fenderwell headers etc etc. Love it
Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by mausny
yes i have tubing risers in the front coil springs, there is also air shocks in the rear. This car has not been touched since 77' and was built by my uncle (big gear head) in the late 60's. So not that i'm learning that this is the look of back then, i may just clean up those parts and re install them. The car sure does look cool sitting in the shop. I just don't want to ruin history or waste time and money on changing the car when i should have done my research. Thanks guys.

I'm pulling the motor to get checked out and built for 93 pump gas. I take more pics as i do the build. Here is a few just so you can see what i'm starting with.
tell me more about the gas tank fill. Does the car have the standard 16 gallon tank? Or something larger like a 24 gallon larger tank. If the later, it is very rare.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:28 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Take a close look at the brakes and suspension before you change anything. You never know, but the car may have old race history with special RPO BRAKE PARTS

SEE THE SCREENED BACKING PLATES ???????? THEY HAVE CONVERS OVER THEM

Last edited by jimgessner; 08-08-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that is a time machine! Takes me back 44 years ago this month when I bought a 62 with the same front end treatment.

I have no input for your questions, but if everything is made mechanically sound and reliable just driving it would be a blast, IMO.

Enjoy. Doug
Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Rick Gower
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
tell me more about the gas tank fill. Does the car have the standard 16 gallon tank? Or something larger like a 24 gallon larger tank. If the later, it is very rare.
Jim,

I believe we went thru this with this car a while ago on this forum. No big tank or brakes, just an old custom car from the 60's.

Rick
Old 08-09-2014, 01:47 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks like a very cool project. I am interested in seeing the progress.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:52 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Do you know what the original color was?

Do you have any pictures from your uncle of the car, "back in the day?"

I'd be real tempted to go with a black n white theme like this...

but use the No 8 like and 8-ball... since its all kind of crazy anyway
Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

and if anyone else is interested in doing a car like this (sans nose)... I saw this at the HAMB
1960 Barn Vette $32K
60 Corvette, been in barn since 1985. 283 engine and 3 speed trans works great. Puff of smoke when started, ( valve seals ). All gauges work. Solid frame, drives and stops great NYS inspected. All Crome, grill included. Also included, new carpet, door panels and dash pad, Extra numbers correct 283 block
Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Go really slowly on all the modifications. Get the car running. I have drums all around on my '58 and the car works just fine. No need for disc brakes on the street. Same with the MSD ignition and the dropped spindles.

Just get it running and drive it for a year.

Now if you're like a lot of us really enjoy buying parts just order a lot of crap and put it on the shelf in the garage. You can buy all the stuff but you don't really have to install it. That way you can preserve the time capsule and still run up a big balance on your Visa card.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look

Old 08-10-2014, 04:16 PM
mausny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rick Gower
Jim,

I believe we went thru this with this car a while ago on this forum. No big tank or brakes, just an old custom car from the 60's.

Rick
Your correct rick, this is a stock small metal tank and my uncle put the filler cap on the side in the 60's. The fiberglass work wasn't done well so I'm going to have to fix it but still want to keep it like he had it.

As most of you know my uncle meant a lot to me, He died fighting for this country. His name is on the memorial wall in DC. He always loved these cars growing up and after getting blown up in a fox hole in Vietnam he was able to save money to finally buy this corvette. He was a hell of a mechanic for only having one arm and eye. He later passed away due to bad blood transfusions. I served in the Army as well and did a tour to Iraq. I have respect for car and want to bring it back to life the way he enjoyed it with my aunt.

I may continue on this post with the build or start a new one. The build has already started. So any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Congratulations on your modified Corvette. I bet you had 20 offers on the way home with that on a trailer.

I would rather look at that than 10, 100 point restored ones.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My hat is off to you and your uncle for both serving. Sorry you lost him far too soon.

I spent 8 years in Saudi Arabia in the 70s and 80s working for an engineering and construction company and can only imagine the difficult and unpleasant conditions our service men and women had to deal with while in that part of the world.

That car has to be very special for you with the history you mentioned;

Enjoy it and please keep us posted.

Doug

Last edited by Workin On 59; 08-10-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: 1960 restore keeping the old school street racing look