C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Seat Tracks and Seat Frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default 1960 Seat Tracks and Seat Frame

My 1960 seat tracks are rusted/frozen and I need to remove the seat frame to get access to the bolts holding the tracks to the body.
The front cage nuts holding the tracks to the frame are obvious. Where are the rear ones? I've looked and looked and I can't find those bad boys. Can anyone help me locate them?
Thanks,
Bud Weisser
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Captain Bud
My 1960 seat tracks are rusted/frozen and I need to remove the seat frame to get access to the bolts holding the tracks to the body.
The front cage nuts holding the tracks to the frame are obvious. Where are the rear ones? I've looked and looked and I can't find those bad boys. Can anyone help me locate them?
Thanks,
Bud Weisser
If your seats are in the full rearward position, the rear bolts are covered up by the frame.
To access the rear bolts, you are going to have to get (ie force) the seat frame to slide forward so that the rear bolts are uncovered.
Good luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
If your seats are in the full rearward position, the rear bolts are covered up by the frame.
To access the rear bolts, you are going to have to get (ie force) the seat frame to slide forward so that the rear bolts are uncovered.
Good luck!
That will give me access to the bolts that hold the track to the body. I need to remove the seat frame from the track. The front cage nut is visible but I can't find the rear nut that hols the frame to the track.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

That will give me access to the bolts that hold the track to the body. I need to remove the seat frame from the track. The front cage nut is visible but I can't find the rear nut that hols the frame to the track.
Bud,
Tom's info is spot on. The attached PDF shows the mounts in my 60 as well as info from the '60 AIM and the ST-12. This should get you going. I've also attached some info on the seat track refurb that i did when I got this car. The tracks were pretty much frozen at the time.

Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1960 Seat Mounts.pdf (477.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: pdf
Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DZVette
Bud,
Tom's info is spot on. The attached PDF shows the mounts in my 60 as well as info from the '60 AIM and the ST-12. This should get you going. I've also attached some info on the seat track refurb that i did when I got this car. The tracks were pretty much frozen at the time.

Dave Z
Dave, the pictures are perfect! I'm concerned when I try to move the seat far enough forward, because it seems stuck in the far aft position, I'll break the mounts in the back. I guess I need to be gentle with it.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Betty Floyd
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, the pictures are perfect! I'm concerned when I try to move the seat far enough forward, because it seems stuck in the far aft position, I'll break the mounts in the back. I guess I need to be gentle with it.
I used PB Blaster and turned the bolts back and forth a little everyday and they finally came out. It just takes time.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

They will move with a big enough hammer! They have large diameter rollers in them, and have never had a set that I could not get to move with a little WD-40 and a BFH.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Mcmurb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DZVette
Bud,

Dave Z
As a fellow 60 owner turning my own wrench on projects just like this, your sharing of your project steps complete with pictures and text as you did is much appreciated. The project alone is hard enough, but to document it like you did is above and beyond and the favor is not lost at least by me.

Well done!

Bart McMurry
Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcmurb
As a fellow 60 owner turning my own wrench on projects just like this, your sharing of your project steps complete with pictures and text as you did is much appreciated. The project alone is hard enough, but to document it like you did is above and beyond and the favor is not lost at least by me.

Well done!

Bart McMurry
Bart
Your welcome. I get a lot from here and I like to give some back where I can. Glad you find the info useful.

Bud,

I'm with John above, try some PB Blaster or Kroil if you have it and try to pry the frame back and forth a little at a time. See if you can get the penetrant up into the tracks. The tracks ride on the large rollers and the small ball bearings in the cages keep the assembly centered in the tracks. If you can get under the car you might shoot some penetrant onto the bottoms of the bolts in the nut plates as well.
As Betty said above, patience and persistence.
Dave Z
Old 08-09-2014, 07:44 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

For the internals of the tracks here is another reference as a additional pictorial to Dave's excellent document.........HERE

The above tracks on a '59 I worked on were seized up and I could not get them to move easily with repeated attempts of penetrants, pushing, etc.

When tracks are like this, I use a short 2x4 block in the front inner corners, and as John said , a really BIG BFH, and keep wacking at them to get them to move forward. That's really the only way to get them to move sometimes. Of course when the release handle is raised.

Rich

Last edited by rich5962; 08-09-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Seat Tracks and Seat Frame

Quick Reply: 1960 Seat Tracks and Seat Frame