C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cone Brothers Chevrolet - does anyone remmeber

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Cone Brothers Chevrolet - does anyone remmeber

Does anyone remember Cone Bros Chevrolet in Anaheim, CA? I found this bit of history on them and am curious as to when North Los Angeles Street Changed to Anaheim Blvd....................... Does anyone know?

CONE CHEVROLET, Fullerton, CA (1929-98 became Mullahey Chev) Drag sponsor

'Red' Cone established Cone Brothers Chevrolet which predates Cone Chevrolet. Cone Bros existed at least as early as 1927 at 215 North Los Angeles Street, Anaheim, California (the street is now named Anaheim Blvd). Cone Chevrolet in Fullerton was located at Harbor and Santa Fe until it was moved to 600 W Commonwealth Avenue around 1964. Cone was a family run business until it was sold to Tim Mullahey in 1998. Cone Brothers Chevrolet in Anaheim seems to have been connected with Cone Chevrolet.

Cone was well known in the 1960s for sponsoring drag race cars and for its connections with other California performance dealers and specialty shops including Bill Thomas. A Cone sponsored 1962 Bel Air driven by Hayden Proffitt ran a Bill Thomas prepped engine. The connection suggests that Bill Thomas may have sold some of his super cars through the Cone dealership. The owner of Cone was on the board of the local drag racing strip (Orange County International Raceway). Cone Chevrolet had a good high performance parts inventory even as late as the 1980s.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 PM
carcruse
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Here you go:

http://records.anaheim.net/CityClerk...&page=1&dbid=0

Last edited by carcruse; 08-08-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carcruse
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I don't live too far from the old Cone site. It's a used car dealership now.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I don't live too far from the old Cone site. It's a used car dealership now.
Would love to see a picture if you are in the area and have a chance.

Thanks,
Rex
Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Would love to see a picture if you are in the area and have a chance.

Thanks,
Rex
Seems the used car dealer didn't fair too well. In the service department they are running the "Cone" body shop. Here's a picture I took this past week:

Old 08-30-2014, 02:57 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Hey Rex,still looking, but it looks like you might have a line on a frame!

Does anyone remember Cone Bros Chevrolet in Anaheim, CA? I found this bit of history on them and am curious as to when North Los Angeles Street Changed to Anaheim Blvd....................... Does anyone know?

'Red' Cone established Cone Brothers Chevrolet which predates Cone Chevrolet. Cone Bros existed at least as early as 1927 at 215 North Los Angeles Street, Anaheim, California (the street is now named Anaheim Blvd). Cone Chevrolet in Fullerton was located at Harbor and Santa Fe until it was moved to 600 W Commonwealth Avenue around 1964. Cone was a family run business until it was sold to Tim Mullahey in 1998. Cone Brothers Chevrolet in Anaheim seems to have been connected with Cone Chevrolet.

Cone was well known in the 1960s for sponsoring drag race cars and for its connections with other California performance dealers and specialty shops including Bill Thomas. A Cone sponsored 1962 Bel Air driven by Hayden Proffitt ran a Bill Thomas prepped engine. The connection suggests that Bill Thomas may have sold some of his super cars through the Cone dealership. The owner of Cone was on the board of the local drag racing strip (Orange County International Raceway). Cone Chevrolet had a good high performance parts inventory even as late as the 1980s.
I got you some of the info above and I wish we could find more. Mullahey Fullerton was a victim like as happened to many Dealerships not next to a freeway of having their Chevrolet Franchises pulled, who would not relocate during the GM bail out in the recent years. Apparently the Cone Family still owned the land and leased it to the Mullahey group. This is a lot completely in Fullerton and never a part of Anaheim being miles to the northwest. It started in the early 60's as the Cone Chevrolet "Fullerton" used car lot when the main Cone Fullerton was operating on Sprada. When the Cone Family lost their Chevrolet tenant, they have leased the land to subsequent Used car dealers and the Cone body shop was still operating, but I haven't driven by in over a month. When my Father and brother were running SCCSCC and bracket race drags in the 90's, they sported Cone sponsorship stickers on our family 68 Corvette (Dana Chevrolet car originally), in trade for some parts support. They had our car in their showroom at various times on display, while Cone was in operation. Some members of the family sure like stickers!!!!! Yuck!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 08-30-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I got you some of the info above and I wish we could find more. Mullahey Fullerton was a victim like as happened to many Dealerships not next to a freeway of having their Chevrolet Franchises pulled, who would not relocate during the GM bail out in the recent years. Apparently the Cone Family still owned the land and leased it to the Mullahey group. This is a lot completely in Fullerton and never a part of Anaheim being miles to the northwest. It started in the early 60's as the Cone Chevrolet "Fullerton" used car lot when the main Cone Fullerton was operating on Sprada. When the Cone Family lost their Chevrolet tenant, they have leased the land to subsequent Used car dealers and the Cone body shop was still operating, but I haven't driven by in over a month. When my Father and brother were running SCCSCC and bracket race drags in the 90's, they sported Cone sponsorship stickers on our family 68 Corvette (Dana Chevrolet car originally), in trade for some parts support. They had our car in their showroom at various times on display, while Cone was in operation. Some members of the family sure like stickers!!!!! Yuck!

Thanks Derek. I've sent you a couple of emails and just tried a PM here but your PM box was full. Hope you got at least one of my emails, sent both to the address you suggested.

THANKS for ALL your help !!! Wish I could return the favor(s).

Yes I did find a pretty decent Cone Bros. license frame.

Last edited by Dr L-88; 08-30-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Hey Rex,

You are one of the good guys that just likes people and would be a role model for someone like me that just isn't a real people person. I have been a Corvette enthusiast going on very close to a conscience 50 years now since riding around in the family 1957 C1 and then the 1964 Coupe going to the drags and such and Corvette owner myself for an honest 30+ years.

You have great tastes in cars and a very likable and humble demeanor, unlike me at times. That led me to open up somewhat for good for some, and bad with some unfortunately, but with you it was all good except the green thing that happened which was appreciated but declined. Because the car you have is a Socal car, I opened my personal vault of literature somewhat, and also shared a small part of my collectibles and models, and memorabilia and such for you and a few others and was glad to help! Therefore I have had some enjoyment out of watching your Ownership search and journey because you are a true enthusiast.

When I get into work sometime next week (my job is mostly field work going from location to location or sometimes multi-state travel), I will see if any of the emails came thru and one of these days I will post up shots when I am ready of my cars! I just ain't into the build threads or restoration threads for my own projects, because I want my own personal touches into every car I have done, so I don't know if you get to that, if you have opinions or observations rolling in or critics and such! My Father is 81 years of age, so he is liking a little exposure and sharing of his car above, unlike me and mine.

It's all good! But never try to PM me! It just stayed clogged up and I am just to lazy too clear it, because then people will resume sending me messages again!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 08-30-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM
c322348
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pass by the Cone body shop on occasion as well since I live in Fullerton. If anyone has one of those Cone license plate frames available, I would display it proudly on my '64 coupe with the YOM plates.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Joe Demaria
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes I do .and u are wondering .about walter.he sold cars to the stars .

And had a lot of copo .z code cars .he Loved selling cars .Racing and sponcering .his Employees all the Best .true family man .that still today wark together .I can't give up pesonal info thow .Respect for the family .his wife had a Lot to do with .the family Business .I'm sorry to see Cone Chevrolet .go after sutch Outstanding Sales Service .Perfict timing grand opening in 1961 for the Corvette .and now Classic cars .glad he seen .all the Best Year .in car sales to all the Beautiful stars .and public .a true family Friend

The following users liked this post:
Dr L-88 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 04:56 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joe Demaria
And had a lot of copo .z code cars .he Loved selling cars .Racing and sponcering .his Employees all the Best .true family man .that still today wark together .I can't give up pesonal info thow .Respect for the family .his wife had a Lot to do with .the family Business .I'm sorry to see Cone Chevrolet .go after sutch Outstanding Sales Service .Perfict timing grand opening in 1961 for the Corvette .and now Classic cars .glad he seen .all the Best Year .in car sales to all the Beautiful stars .and public .a true family Friend
My father and Brother used to get Dealership cost on all parts. They cut us out some sponsor stickers, and my Father went to events, even though we weren’t employees or family! They just liked our cars! My Dad’s car sat in their showroom on two occasions!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-10-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cone Brothers Chevrolet - does anyone remmeber

Quick Reply: Cone Brothers Chevrolet - does anyone remmeber