C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacing clutch cross-shaft stud welded to frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:32 PM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally did the job and replaced both ball studs and the cross-shaft. They were peened over real good. The bracket on the motor was easy but the frame one, well, and I ground the surface smooth with a die-grinder/cut-off wheel. Hit it with a hammer and punch a few times and it wouldnt budge. I hit it with a big hammer many times, and it still wouldnt come out. Ground it more and hit it more to no avail.... finally, I drilled out the center with a drill to allow the metal to collapse and got it out.

I thought about tapping the ball stud to accept a 1/4" bolt to retain it with a bolt & washer (seeing how the OEM one was drilled out easily). No luck; the replacements from Zip are hardened steel -I ended up just welding both ball studs in place.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I bought a new frame bracket with ball stud already in it and Mike Coletta welded it on my '61 in like 5 minutes. That was like 5 years ago and I drive the car a lot.

While you're under there put a zerk fitting in the Z-bar tube and grease the snot out of it and you'll save those ball studs for another 50 years if you grease the part regularly.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Also, I've heard of guys putting a wooden dowel in that tube to take up some of the space otherwise you will be putting a s... load of grease in it.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Steve59
Also, I've heard of guys putting a wooden dowel in that tube to take up some of the space otherwise you will be putting a s... load of grease in it.
Yes, some use a tight-fitting wooden dowel with a groove down its length so the grease can travel to each end
Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 AM
SteveA922
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old thread.....

I'm also building a bracket to mount to a new bell housing and have a question. The parts manuals show an o-ring that fits over the ball studs resting between the bar and bracket and so I orders a set. There is no way they will slide over the ball and the shafts are welded so they can't be slid on and then reinstall the shaft. I don't see any mention of these in this thread or on any other threads I've searched. Are people just not using them? (And yes I understand this post sounds more like it belongs on a **** site). LOL.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:54 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveA922
Old thread.....

I'm also building a bracket to mount to a new bell housing and have a question. The parts manuals show an o-ring that fits over the ball studs resting between the bar and bracket and so I orders a set. There is no way they will slide over the ball and the shafts are welded so they can't be slid on and then reinstall the shaft. I don't see any mention of these in this thread or on any other threads I've searched. Are people just not using them? (And yes I understand this post sounds more like it belongs on a **** site). LOL.
They will go over the ball. it just takes a little pressure! They will shrink back down after they go over the ball. The correct ones are a felt material with a vinyl skin on both sides of the felt to minimize the wear.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-17-2015, 04:11 PM
SteveA922
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks John. I ordered them from CC and they appear to be felt like and do have the outside skin. I pushed pretty hard to no avail but will try again. Do you soak them in anything first or at least grease them?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveA922
Thanks John. I ordered them from CC and they appear to be felt like and do have the outside skin. I pushed pretty hard to no avail but will try again. Do you soak them in anything first or at least grease them?
Yep, I grease them up pretty good and then wipe the grease off after installing them.

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch cross-shaft stud welded to frame