C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Considering a 58 but no VIN tag, concerns ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:03 AM
327mosport
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 58 but no VIN tag, concerns ?

Found a 58 I'm interested in, nice driver, reasonably priced but does not have its VIN tag.

Seller said the state police gave the car a thorough inspection when he bought/registered it due to the missing tag. They verified the car was not stolen and gave him some paperwork.

Couple questions;
1. How much of a negative effect does the missing VIN tag have on the cars value ?

2. Will it make it more difficult to sell ?

3. Can reproduction tags be ordered, if so which vendor ? Simple thing to make but due to potential fraud maybe these aren't available ?

4. Where on the frame do I find the VIN stamp ? anywhere on its undersurface or does the body have to be lifted to find the VIN ?

Thanks guys-
Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,314 Posts

To start with, DO NOT take the sellers word, that everything checked out with the police, and is okay. Take the VIN to the DMV of the state that the car is titled in, and see what they say about it. Make sure they are aware that the VIN tag is missing.

I find it hard to believe that the police would give any approval or paperwork, to a car without some kind of VIN tag. Normally in this situation, the state will issue their own version of a VIN tag.

1) I'd put the effect at 20% or more.

2) It should make it harder to sell, to anyone with knowledge of Corvettes. Even a state issued VIN tag, which clearly hurts a cars value, is better than no VIN tag at all.

3) Repro VIN tags are available, but the legality of them is questionable. The only correct legal way to replace the VIN, is with a state issued tag.

4) There is a VIN stamp on the top of the frame, under the drivers door. With a lift, wire brush, mirror and some luck, you may be able to locate it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car, without a VIN tag. It just sets off too many red flags, for me.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:55 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

What is the VIN format on the title?
Is it a typical 58 corvette number or does it have a state assigned VIN? If state assigned is there a state VIN tag or sticker
Old 08-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Unless the seller can produce a state issued VIN, you need. To keep on looking for the right car. Even with a state issue it will be difficult and costly to sell.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Every potential buyer is going to have the same doubts and questions as you.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

I would think a 50% deduct would be more like it. The car has value, but it will always be tainted. If you can steal it, drive the snot out of it and don't worry about diminished value.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Any pictures of the "'58"?

Have you seen the "police issued" documents?

I would ask to make copies to take to the DMV and have them verify if they are legit or fakes.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

If your heart is not set on that one, here are a few more C1s...

1960 Corvette - $38000 (Muskegon)

1960 Corvette - 283 4 speed, Silver with Blue Coves, Black Interior, $38,000. firm, No Trades.
1961 Corvette Very Low Miles - $49995 (Troy)

1961 Corvette FI
Up for sale is a 1961 Corvette. This Corvette was originally fuel injected. The fuel injection scripts are still on the front fenders, it has the tach drive oval hole on the firewall, the mounting holes on the driver inner fender for the air cleaner and the air duct hole opened on the driver side of the core support. It shows only 29,685 miles. It is our understanding, from the previous owner, that it was used as a road race car until being put back to street driver status some 20 years ago. The body is very straight and solid, the doors close perfectly with no dropping. I have not seen any evidence of previous collisions. The core support has two cutouts that were used to duct air for cooling the brakes. Chrome and stainless are very nice. The frame is totally rust free. The convertible top looks new. The interior appears to be original except for door panels and kick panels. They are missing the metal trim but I have some spares. The tach and radio are not correct. The wheels and trim rings are from a Monte Carlo. I have the correct block, numbers match. The engine in it runs great but it is not correct. It drives and stops well, no issues.
This is an excellent car for the person that wants an original "Fuelie" and is willing to spend the money to put back to original. Everything is available. Or drive it like it is.
1961 Corvette - $44500 (Medford,OR)

Excellent car. In the last ,1000 miles 327 engine rebuilt, rebuilt 4-speed tran. with hurst shifter, new clutch, reconditioned radiator, new toyo tires, powered coated wheels. Car has both soft top and hardtop. I have owned this car 42 years.
1960 Corvette Roadster - $40000 (Olympia and)

1960 Corvette Roadster..... Soft top only.... Factory 4 speed car...stock as a rock.....it has a non numbers matching motor from a 1960 Corvette with an automatic transmission... Interior is stock and correct....... Engine compartment is lovely with all the correct shielding where it is supposed to be, correct generator etc..... Trunk is super nice with correct spare and jack ....correct hubcaps like new white walls.....top is very nice..... Glass is good .... The only problem is the paint us a little weak ..... She is a great 10 footer, the front half of the car has some bubbling in the gel coat..... I personally would drive it and have driven it and I still get a thumbs up from everyone I pass.....please respond to this ad with any questions or concerns..... Thanks !!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ohiovet
What is the VIN format on the title?
Is it a typical 58 corvette number or does it have a state assigned VIN? If state assigned is there a state VIN tag or sticker
Is there any answer to these questions?????
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM
appaloosa 0012
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A corvette without the VIN is a nightmare.
An assigned VIN by the state is a headache.
An original VIN is a relief.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 PM
327mosport
Heel & Toe

Sorry I haven't been able to get online earlier to reply.

I don't know what format the VIN has on the title. I'll call the seller tomorrow, find this out and ask more questions. I don't have any pics to post. I haven't seen it in person yet.

50% deduction seems pretty severe. I've always thought 58's are a special year. As long as its proven legit, the VIN on the title matches the frame & has paperwork from the state -I wouldn't think it'd take that big a hit.

More info on it; Triple black, NOM 327 with 4 speed, 2 tops, clean rust free frame, presentable paint, interior needs nothing, chrome & stainless very nice, original steel wheels/hubcaps. Owner says it may be a former fuelie, has high hp tach. He's not familiar with Corvettes enough to know what else to look for. Seller has lost interest, admits he's eager to see it go. I'm pretty sure 35k will buy it.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:52 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

This is a subjective call. Some people want matching numbers and some do not care. As far as I'm concern, a car that does not have it's original vin tag is a parts car. And 58's are the ugliest vett ever made.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Some people think 58's are the best of 58-62.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

WOW, really, you think the 58 was the ugliest corvette ever made?

personally I love the 58.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:56 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I am a 58 Lover myself...

But a 58 with vin trouble at 35K as opposed to the 60 I posted above (with no VIN trouble) at $38 ASK (he may take 35K as well...)

I'd go with the silver 60...

If the VIN issues can be solved legitimately... and you don't mind taking the hit when you go to sell it, then have at it and have fun. Just remember that there is a reason why you got it for $35K when you go to sell it (if you have to)

Regardless... best of luck!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:32 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
And 58's are the ugliest vett ever made.

Wow. I wanted a 58 but ended up with a 61. I would trade my 61 in a flash for an equivalent 58. I love the hood.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

When I purchaced my 57, I was very concerned about the screwded VIN on the door jamb.

I wasn't happy untll I removed the body and personally checked the VIN stamped on the frame. I took several pictures of it with the body in the back ground for future refference.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a 58 but no VIN tag, concerns ?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:17 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
When I purchaced my 57, I was very concerned about the screwded VIN on the door jamb.

I wasn't happy untll I removed the body and personally checked the VIN stamped on the frame. I took several pictures of it with the body in the back ground for future refference.
Yep, 57 cars had screwed VIN tags in the door jamb. They did not move over to tags welded to the steering column until midyear 1960 model.

Unfortunately, some DMV systems think that the entire 60 model year used welded tags on the column.

More than one person has gotten their early 60 car impounded while it was straightened out. There was a guy on the forum several years ago who had his tag confiscated and destroyed! After he proved the tag was correct, the state paid Backeast to make him a new VIN tag. They were going to issue a state-issued VIN, but it would have diminished the value of the car, so they caved in and paid for a repro tag.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Kyle'56
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say, "that's a negative ghost rider." Just enjoy searching and steer clear of that one.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM
327mosport
Heel & Toe

Default Relief !

Spoke with seller- he said the title had the cars original VIN when he bought it. Since the tag was missing the state police came out and searched for a long time on the frame, finally found the vin which matched that on the title.

State police provided him with a letter of affidavit as to the cars VIN and the current title has the cars original vin, not a state issued one.

So things are looking up, yes ? I'm again excited about making the roadtrip to see this 58.

Quick Reply: Considering a 58 but no VIN tag, concerns ?