C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

towing 67 body on dolly w/open trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Default towing 67 body on dolly w/open trailer

Guys, so I will be towing my body to the body resto guy in Tucson. I made a very secure, metal body dolly (which I think I over built). I have me small metal straps to bolt the body to the dolly, plus I am using tie down straps to the dolly, and once I get on the trailer I will use 4 large tie downs. Now, I have towed a lot of stuff, but got to thinking how the dolly really has no suspension....but the trailer does, its a two axle. Here are some pics (see attached). Looking for a response from someone who has towed a body on a dolly....I have to go about 75 miles....comments from anyone with this experience, please.....
Attached Images     
Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I would worry more about the trip back home after its done...just in case it cracks/rattles apart....

Is your Frame/rolling chassis done?

If so I would put it on the chassis to pick it up from painter...
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I towed my 1962 on a dolly to the body shop about 90 miles. My dolly has support in the front and rear and uses all the factory mounting points. I had my doors on but no top, windshield was also still installed. I have a dual axle aluminum trailer.

No problem, went on interstate mostly, then about 1 mile on gravel road very slowly….worked fine for me. If you have air tires on the dolly you might lower the pressure a little bit…..mine are hard rubber tires.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You MUST, repeat MUST support the nose and rear like factory front and rear attch points do or you are asking for mega disaster...good luck.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Old Vet
I towed my 1962 on a dolly to the body shop about 90 miles. My dolly has support in the front and rear and uses all the factory mounting points. I had my doors on but no top, windshield was also still installed. I have a dual axle aluminum trailer.

No problem, went on interstate mostly, then about 1 mile on gravel road very slowly….worked fine for me. If you have air tires on the dolly you might lower the pressure a little bit…..mine are hard rubber tires.
I have tires with air in the, but actual have the hard solid rubber too. I have 1/4 metal straps with tabs attached to the four mid body bolts. I ran two smaller tie down straps through the bottoms of the doors then attached to th3 dolly. I will strap the think to the trailer with 4 large tie downs.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT1driver
You MUST, repeat MUST support the nose and rear like factory front and rear attch points do or you are asking for mega disaster...good luck.
I think you can see the front is supported. I was under the impression that coupes were good with no rear support. I believe I could quickly make a rear support out of wood....
Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 66jack
I would worry more about the trip back home after its done...just in case it cracks/rattles apart....

Is your Frame/rolling chassis done?

If so I would put it on the chassis to pick it up from painter...
Actually, I am strongly considering putting it on a rolling chassis for the trip back from the body man.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

I just transported our '62 about 160 miles.

Instead of using my car (metal bed) trailer, I borrowed a friends wood decked trailer.

I ran 4" x 6" skids down the length of the trailer and secured the skids to the wood trailer.

I set the car mounts directly on top of the skids. Then I ran additional 4" x 6" skids along the front and rear of the car, again directly under the body mounts. The rear did required additional material to make up for the difference in height of the mounting locations. I had doors, trunk lid and hood off of the body. I was able to strap/secure the body directly through the door openings.

In my opinion, this made transporting the body much safer. The body was secured down low directly on top of the decking. I was worried that if I tried to leave it on the dolly, there was just too much "air" between the body and the trailer deck. I didn't want it to catch air while travelling.

Bottom line is that I arrived at my desired location without any problems at all.

Pat
Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

My painter is about 75 miles away have transported 6 cars with no problems rural and interstate highways, just has to be supported it all mounting points.
Mark
Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Owner trasnsported his '59 body on my solid dolly to and from paint shop hours away with no issues, but i'd also suggest rear support as well on yours.

Rich
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Thanks. I will get some metal to make something to support the rear.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Keep a sharp eye out for all the people chasing after you offering you handfulls of cash.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:58 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  IMG_1359.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  73.1 KB

I was afraid of the height of my wooden dolly so I shortened it for transport. It went about 50 miles on country roads both to the painter and back again without any problems. Oh by the way it helps if your brother owns a rollback.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

As mentioned, fully support front and rear.

I would use larger ratchet straps for sure.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
As mentioned, fully support front and rear.

I would use larger ratchet straps for sure.

Yes. Those straps were just extra reassurance for holding it to the dolly frame. I actually had the four body bolts attached to metal strapping from the dolly to the frame (you cant see those)...Here's the final pic of the get-up about a 3rd of the way of the trip...just past the border patrol check point....good thing I was legal...or would illegal be ok....I don't know anymore....
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2014, 11:04 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
Keep a sharp eye out for all the people chasing after you offering you handfulls of cash.

No one did, but lots of looks.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:18 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
Yes. Those straps were just extra reassurance for holding it to the dolly frame. I actually had the four body bolts attached to metal strapping from the dolly to the frame (you cant see those)...Here's the final pic of the get-up about a 3rd of the way of the trip...just past the border patrol check point....good thing I was legal...or would illegal be ok....I don't know anymore....
Where did you take it to get painted, Mexico?...

Get notified of new replies

To towing 67 body on dolly w/open trailer

Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

No photos available but when I transported my coupe for paint I used Nolan's plans for the wooden dolly. I strapped the body as you indicated in first post, securing the body to the dolly, and strapped the dolly to the open trailer. Then I drove from Southern VA to central NJ without incident. The car was then transported from central NJ to Easton, PA the same way and, after completion of body work was transported back to VA the same way. No damage occurred to the body during these transports. Prior to paint work the body was mounted to the running, rolling chassis.

As far as people chasing you with cash it happened on the way home from finished paint. Stopped for a break and snack. Guy pulls up in a pickup and offers $200.00 for the car. I asked if he had it with him and he said no. I told him if he was going to offer big money like that he better be ready to close the deal. They walk among us and they breed.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed some of the pictures show people using the straps with the hook on the end. I was using those and one day the hook slipped out and I almost lost a desk out of the back of my truck on the interstate. I went to Lowes and bought D-links and inserted them on all of my straps where the fabric and hook are connected. Maybe overkill but I feel better.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 66jack
Where did you take it to get painted, Mexico?...
I expect it would have been cheaper....but no, not Mexico. Funny, I only live about 7-10 miles from Mexico (as the "crow" flies). An interesting fact (not sure if well known); the Border Patrol has inland check points (this one 25 Miles or so from the border and on the road from where I live to Tucson) to check out vehicular cargo. They actually catch a lot of People. And I did take the body to Tucson - TKO Auto Restoration -

https://www.facebook.com/tkoauto

Quick Reply: towing 67 body on dolly w/open trailer