C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Corvette Tool - Guess what it's for ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Too funny all these guesses. I think you should have let it run for a couple of days...cause reading all these were funnier than sh*#!!!!

This was the result of a conversation I was having with Rich over the phone and saying there has got to be a better/easier way to install these things and we were throwing all sorts of crazy ideas out there....and the light bulb went on for Rich.

I still like my idea of loading the plug on the end of a shotgun shell and firing it into the hole. But Rich didn't think that was such a great idea....go figure.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Man, you made a tool for a job that I hope to never have to do again...

How often do you need it?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpe04
Looks like it would be handy to push the retainer on the fresh air vent .
Hmm, maybe that too, I usually use a 1/4" drive deep socket for that.

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
:ack :
okay, okay, Roy.....You made me give in before I went to bed.

Originally Posted by MrPbody
male or female?

Russ
I chuckled when I read yours Russ, but then I thought about it. It starts use as a Female, then ends up being a Male. So I guess it's........ Transvestiteish.

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
Too funny all these guesses. I think you should have let it run for a couple of days...cause reading all these were funnier than sh*#!!!!

This was the result of a conversation I was having with Rich over the phone and saying there has got to be a better/easier way to install these things and we were throwing all sorts of crazy ideas out there....and the light bulb went on for Rich.

I still like my idea of loading the plug on the end of a shotgun shell and firing it into the hole. But Rich didn't think that was such a great idea....go figure.
Dennis, if the Corvette had a steel firewall that explosive idea might work.

Originally Posted by Revfan
Man, you made a tool for a job that I hope to never have to do again...

How often do you need it?
Eleven times for a C1, Seven for a C2, unsure for a C3. I'm going to have to get some C2 and C3 plugs to try it out on them but I think they're all the same plug and tip size and may just have different head identification markings.

--

Whenever I restore a car and get the firewall insulation I dread the fastener task. Over the years I've tried different methods, but always seem to need another person out front while pushing the plugs inside with the "push-tool".

I mostly work alone. This lets me do it easier and faster. It took me longer to make the tool than it does to install the 11 plugs with a helper. But now it'll be a lot easier for me with the tool.

Rich

p.s. BTW, the Winner of the guessing game was DZVette !! He emailed me right after I posted the thread and got it immediately. Thank Dave for letting us have some fun.

Dave, what kind of Prize would you like? Remember now.....We're in a Family Forum!

Last edited by rich5962; 08-14-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Should of gotten patent first somebody goanna steal it.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rtruman
Should of gotten patent first somebody goanna steal it.
I was thinking of that yesterday, so this morning I'm starting the process. Maybe it'll be good, maybe not. It's a real niche market tool for a very limited application, but may be interesting to see where it goes.

The last time I applied for a patent it took 2 1/2 years and tens of thousands of dollars paid by the company I worked for at the time. Then the patent office rejected it because they had no clue about the design. Re-submitted it with a enhanced description and clearer differences to their prior-art comparisons, and then they approved it.

I'm also going to talk to the parts suppliers and see if they have any interest. If they do, I may get some made outside at a REAL machine shop. I'm just a "machinist-wannabe".

Rich

Last edited by rich5962; 08-14-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Dang it that's what I was just going to say it was for No prize ? by the way my 55 uses metal ones not rubber and I think up to 58

Last edited by 1955 copper; 08-14-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
Dang it that's what I was just going to say it was for No prize ? by the way my 55 uses metal ones not rubber and I think up to 58
Roy, You got a prize a few years ago from me, remember?

Hmmm, metal insulation fasteners? Really? The '56 I have here has it's original insulation and fasteners and they're rubber.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Hmmm,

I am going to ahve to make one of those, I have been fighting a couple rubber retainer plugs on the '72 by the steering column.

Thanks!

Doug
Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Hmmm,

I am going to ahve to make one of those, I have been fighting a couple rubber retainer plugs on the '72 by the steering column.

Thanks!

Doug
Doug, when you can......please measure the diameter of the hole(s) in the FW, and the rubber fastener length from the back of the head to the tip, and the tip diameter for me?

add.....If it's really different from these here, maybe I could make a new size tool here and send it to you to test out for me.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by rich5962; 08-14-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Steve439
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
I was thinking of that yesterday, so this morning I'm starting the process. Maybe it'll be good, maybe not. It's a real niche market tool for a very limited application, but may be interesting to see where it goes.

The last time I applied for a patent it took 2 1/2 years and tens of thousands of dollars paid by the company I worked for at the time. Then the patent office rejected it because they had no clue about the design. Re-submitted it with a enhanced description and clearer differences to their prior-art comparisons, and then they approved it.

I'm also going to talk to the parts suppliers and see if they have any interest. If they do, I may get some made outside at a REAL machine shop. I'm just a "machinist-wannabe".

Rich
I'd probably buy one; I'm a tool junkie, especially specialty tools.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're selling them I'm a buyer! I've got to do this on the 57 when it comes back from paint.
After fighting with the ones on my other vettes, this would be awesome since I'm always by myself in the garage as well.

I'm voting for a group buy on here!

Anyone else second the motion?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Will do on the hole diameter and rubber gizmo dimensions.

I am thinking that a piece of thin wall steel tubing with a hole cross drilled in one end may work for one time small jobs, vs something you use a lot.

Is there a definite purpose to having the hole 1.25" deep, vs open ended?

Doug
Old 08-14-2014, 06:13 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steve439
I'd probably buy one; I'm a tool junkie, especially specialty tools.

Originally Posted by Marks69BB
If you're selling them I'm a buyer! I've got to do this on the 57 when it comes back from paint.
After fighting with the ones on my other vettes, this would be awesome since I'm always by myself in the garage as well.

I'm voting for a group buy on here!

Anyone else second the motion?
Thanks for the interest guys, but I'd likely contract it out to the Corvette vendors to then buy through them. I don't know if I want to go into the business of making and selling tools, plus I'd have to be a "Supporting Vendor" here and I doubt that will be in my future. I want to restore the cars. But I will think about it.

Maybe I'll make a few and you guys can pass them along to whover needs it when you're done, or send back to me if nobody needs it at that time.

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Will do on the hole diameter and rubber gizmo dimensions.

I am thinking that a piece of thin wall steel tubing with a hole cross drilled in one end may work for one time small jobs, vs something you use a lot.

Is there a definite purpose to having the hole 1.25" deep, vs open ended?

Doug
Doug, Thanks for that info when you get around to it. I also have a few C2 & C3 samples coming so I can experiment, and may have to come up with a different design for one or both of those.

Yes I had the thinwall tubing idea too for the simplicity, but the tool needs to be the right diameter to fit the holes, with the right ID for the plug tip to fit, and most importantly to "release" properly. I think standard tubing "off-the-shelf" will not fit and work right, that's why I made a prototype. there are a few "features" of the design I haven't divulged at this time.

Open ended could work, but strength is a issue when pushing it the plug. I broke my first aluminum prototype. Yes the depth on this one has a purpose, mainly to prevent "punch through" of the tip when being inserted in the tool.......it bottoms out the tip to help prevent that.

Thanks Guys,
Rich
Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Sounds like a good idea... add it to the Corvette Brotherhood lending library!

I am loaning out Seat Stuff etc etc... take a look!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Revfan
Sounds like a good idea... add it to the Corvette Brotherhood lending library!

I am loaning out Seat Stuff etc etc... take a look!
Yup, that's the idea.....Nice of you to do that too.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Great idea-good luck with your business plan!

Mike
Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

awesome, good job.

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette Tool - Guess what it's for ?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:34 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Cool Tool but As I recall last time I did this I simply took a slim screwdriver with round shank and ground a blunt end on it, inserted it in the hole in the head of the rubber plug, put some silicone on the pointed end of the plug and pushed it right through with the screwdriver tool. As I recall it was very easy to do by myself. I believe that is what the hole is for.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What an absolutely great idea. I'll be needing me one of those in another month or so, so if you are renting, or selling please let me know.

Thanks,
RK
Old 08-15-2014, 02:31 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Cool Tool but As I recall last time I did this I simply took a slim screwdriver with round shank and ground a blunt end on it, inserted it in the hole in the head of the rubber plug, put some silicone on the pointed end of the plug and pushed it right through with the screwdriver tool. As I recall it was very easy to do by myself. I believe that is what the hole is for.
Then you were 12.5X luckier than I (and 30x more skilled). I tried everything.. even mangled a few of the plugs. Glad I had extras.

Quick Reply: New Corvette Tool - Guess what it's for ?