C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which gear lube would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Which gear lube would you use?

Changing out the original rear differential gear lube on my 1966. Researched all CF archive info on gear lubes, got analysis overload, then decided to use GL5 Dino (non synthetic) to stay original. Would you use GM gear lube brand plus add the GM limited slip OR use Sta Lube with the anti slip component already in it. I don't know if the GM gear lube of today is applicable for a 1966 rear end and I am not familiar with the Sta lube brand. Thank You for any info.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I like Torco brand, your choice of natural or synthetic, then add the OE GM Posi additive from the little plastic bottle.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Don't forget to do the figure 8's.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmichaelson
Changing out the original rear differential gear lube on my 1966. Researched all CF archive info on gear lubes, got analysis overload, then decided to use GL5 Dino (non synthetic) to stay original. Would you use GM gear lube brand plus add the GM limited slip OR use Sta Lube with the anti slip component already in it. I don't know if the GM gear lube of today is applicable for a 1966 rear end and I am not familiar with the Sta lube brand. Thank You for any info.
I would recommend buying the GM Lube and GM Additive. That is what I have always done. A little bit more $, but you only do this a few times in your lifetime.

The current GM lube is a 80W-90 GL-4+, which is fine for both manual trans and differential. This is THE SAME AS IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN since forever, and is what I have in my own car.

You can buy from places like CC or Ecklers or on-line at GM discount parts, etc and probably get a better price than at your dealer. I have done it both ways, although I have gotten GM Dealer Corvette Club discounts in the past (around 30% discount). You can ask them.

There are a lot of different ways/opinions on this. This is just one, based on my 50+ years with these cars.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 08-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which gear lube would you use?

Quick Reply: Which gear lube would you use?