C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OEM air cleaner on DUAL-AFB carbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM
ecgarzone
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OEM air cleaner on DUAL-AFB carbs

Has anyone used a Corvette OEM single or dual quad air cleaner on AFB carbs mounted to an OEM intake.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ecgarzone
Has anyone used a Corvette OEM single or dual quad air cleaner on AFB carbs mounted to an OEM intake.
Probably not, as there was never an OEM Corvette dual quad intake that accepted AFB's.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

As John stated, never was a dual AFB version.
The dual carb Corvettes used dual Carter WCFB carbs.
That said, I am running dual AFBs (on an Offenhauser manifold), and use a modified single large oval aftermarket air filter housing.

Typically I see 2 small single round or 2 small Edelbrock (triangular) air filters on the dual AFBs.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-19-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I made a new base plate for a 61-2 2 piece air cleaner for a 59 with a fast FI unit with a larger air horn, you could probably make one for the dual quads.
Mark

Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Options

You have a few challenges.
You will probably have to use an adapter if the manifold bolt/hole patterns are different; this will raise the height of the unit. The stock air filter is only about 1.7" tall, a 2" will not work. Also, there are no stock air cleaner elements (other than stock) which are that short and adequate diameter. Also, you have minimal hood clearance to start with.
You almost have to use a stock dimension air cleaner OD because of hood brace in front and distributor in rear. If you can use the stock manifold, the carb to carb distances should be correct for a stock 2X4 cover. (Edelbrock or Isky are different) If you have to use a stock 1X4 lid, you can make an adapter to go from the two studs over to one stud in the middle.
The bottom is the easiest part. Just modify a stock base or get a flat aluminum sheet and cut it to fit. You might be able to find a large pizza or pie tin that is 14" across.
Play doh works great for checking clearances.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM
ecgarzone
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oem air cleaner on dual quad afb carbs

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
You have a few challenges.
You will probably have to use an adapter if the manifold bolt/hole patterns are different; this will raise the height of the unit. The stock air filter is only about 1.7" tall, a 2" will not work. Also, there are no stock air cleaner elements (other than stock) which are that short and adequate diameter. Also, you have minimal hood clearance to start with.
You almost have to use a stock dimension air cleaner OD because of hood brace in front and distributor in rear. If you can use the stock manifold, the carb to carb distances should be correct for a stock 2X4 cover. (Edelbrock or Isky are different) If you have to use a stock 1X4 lid, you can make an adapter to go from the two studs over to one stud in the middle.
The bottom is the easiest part. Just modify a stock base or get a flat aluminum sheet and cut it to fit. You might be able to find a large pizza or pie tin that is 14" across.

Play doh works great for checking clearances.
I have mounted the AFB carbs on the stock Corvette manifold using adaptor plates available from Hedman Performance parts. All plumbing and linkage is good, and car runs well. Only thing left is to solve the air cleaner issue. Centerline and air horn diameters at 5 1/8. I intend to order one from Corvette Central and hope for the best, or return it and do some metalwork. Thanks to all for the replays.

Gene
Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ecgarzone
I have mounted the AFB carbs on the stock Corvette manifold using adaptor plates available from Hedman Performance parts. All plumbing and linkage is good, and car runs well. Only thing left is to solve the air cleaner issue. Centerline and air horn diameters at 5 1/8. I intend to order one from Corvette Central and hope for the best, or return it and do some metalwork. Thanks to all for the replays.

Gene
Sounds like later AFBs which used the Holley sized air horns which are larger than early AFBs and Rochesters.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM air cleaner on DUAL-AFB carbs

Quick Reply: OEM air cleaner on DUAL-AFB carbs