C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 coupe/ starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Dennis 613
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 64 coupe/ starter

The starter hung up and wouldn't disengage, I got out and removed the battery cable. I felt the starter and it was normal temperature, when I felt the solenoid it was very hot so I removed the starter. I got a starter that is correct for my car complete with solenoid and installed them, now when I turn the key I get nothing, and if you leave the key on for very long the ballast resistor gets very hot, I removed the starter and connected a jumper cable to a ground and to the hot, then I used a screwdriver to go for the hot to the solenoid pole and the starter engaged and spun. Could it be a problem in the wire harness. a wire grounding out, because when I turn the key on the voltage goes form 12v to 9v right away. Just thought I'd ask before I get back under the car disconnect the harness and remove the tape to take a look. Thanks Dennis
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Dennis - It sound like your new starter-drive doesn't have the right amount of clearance. When the starter drive kicks out the gear (we used to just call it the 'Bendix') it engages the flywheel ring gear. There's supposed to be clearance so the two don't 'bind'. Typically, rebuilt starters come with some shims so you can effectively shift the starter closer or further away to create that needed clearance.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Starter

Is it possible that you reversed the pink and purple wires ??? The purple wire goes on the "S" terminal, and the pink wire goes on the "R" terminal. The "S" terminal is the one closer to the block. The purple wire should be thicker than the pink wire---just in case the colors have changed from the heat & age.

RON
Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Dennis 613
Advanced

Default 64 vette starter

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Dennis - It sound like your new starter-drive doesn't have the right amount of clearance. When the starter drive kicks out the gear (we used to just call it the 'Bendix') it engages the flywheel ring gear. There's supposed to be clearance so the two don't 'bind'. Typically, rebuilt starters come with some shims so you can effectively shift the starter closer or further away to create that needed clearance.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
The 2 shims I had are installed with the starter, today I'll get some more and try shimming it out a little more, because the 2 shims together only amounts to .011, thanks for the information. Dennis
Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Dennis 613
Advanced

Default 64 vette starter

Originally Posted by rongold
Is it possible that you reversed the pink and purple wires ??? The purple wire goes on the "S" terminal, and the pink wire goes on the "R" terminal. The "S" terminal is the one closer to the block. The purple wire should be thicker than the pink wire---just in case the colors have changed from the heat & age.

RON

I don't think they're reversed because they're sort of fixed in position, but I'm going to check it out this morning.
Thanks Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To 64 coupe/ starter

Quick Reply: 64 coupe/ starter