C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 speedo fit to clamshell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 AM
DRC
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 58 speedo fit to clamshell?

Working on a friends 58, speedo not fitting that great, all the original pieces.

If I snug the speedo top to top of clamshell the two bottom screw holes don't reach the gauge pod holes, if I screw the bottom 2 screws into the gauge pod then the speedo top has a gap to the top of the clamshell.

So, is there a secret, does the speedo snap into or just on the clamshell surface, etc.? Or is it just "it's a 58 Chevy!" and that's about as well as it fits?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM
5869vette
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it`s true it`s a `58 chevy and some fits better than others.
Sounds like the alum. casting on his is warped.
Post some pics so we can get a better idea of the fit.

Tony
Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

You have to put the 2 lower screws in first loosely and work with the top third mounting point to get the best fit you can (shim, or slightly bend tab on the top possibly) . Don't force anything, the pod housing is easily damaged. Pilot Dan
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM
DRC
Pro

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
You have to put the 2 lower screws in first loosely and work with the top third mounting point to get the best fit you can (shim, or slightly bend tab on the top possibly) . Don't force anything, the pod housing is easily damaged. Pilot Dan
Thanks. I did try two bottom loose and I have a gap between the clamshell top and the speedo top. The bottom of the pod does line up fairly well with the lower gauge housing surface. Is it just that there is going to be a gap up top?

One thought was to loosen the nuts holding the lower gauge housing to the clamshell and push the lower housing up a little to shorten the opening where the speedo goes. Although that lower housing top does line up nicely with the bottom of the clamshell, don't want to mess that up.

Seems the overall opening with both housings bolted together is slightly taller than the speedo pod.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRC
Thanks. I did try two bottom loose and I have a gap between the clamshell top and the speedo top. The bottom of the pod does line up fairly well with the lower gauge housing surface. Is it just that there is going to be a gap up top?

One thought was to loosen the nuts holding the lower gauge housing to the clamshell and push the lower housing up a little to shorten the opening where the speedo goes. Although that lower housing top does line up nicely with the bottom of the clamshell, don't want to mess that up.

Seems the overall opening with both housings bolted together is slightly taller than the speedo pod.
It would be much easier to assist you if you could post a picture of the problem. In short, the speedo bezel (chrome) must be centered in the top housing. That is what you have to work towards, or figure out why it is not lining up. If the top tab on the speedo case is bent (which can happen), it can be tweaked to get the bezel square.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 AM
DRC
Pro

It would be much easier to assist you if you could post a picture of the problem. In short, the speedo bezel (chrome) must be centered in the top housing. That is what you have to work towards, or figure out why it is not lining up. If the top tab on the speedo case is bent (which can happen), it can be tweaked to get the bezel square.
Sorry pics not posting. Appreciate the help. One question if you don't mind. Does the speedo pod chrome bezel lay on the clamshell surface or does it go into the groove, pod top sort of snap into that groove?

I do understand if the answer is at best it does not fit perfect into the clamshell.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRC
Sorry pics not posting. Appreciate the help. One question if you don't mind. Does the speedo pod chrome bezel lay on the clamshell surface or does it go into the groove, pod top sort of snap into that groove?

I do understand if the answer is at best it does not fit perfect into the clamshell.
The way I install it is to have the clamshell upside down on a soft protected surface and manipulate the speedo pod starting with the top first and then the bottom while trying to achieve a uniform alignment all the way around. Hold it exactly where you want it, and then tighten the screws and top nut evenly making sure it holds it's position.
PM me if you need some help, I am close bye and take Scenic Drive lots of times when I am out with the cars and could take a look at it if you like.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:26 PM
DRC
Pro

The way I install it is to have the clamshell upside down on a soft protected surface and manipulate the speedo pod starting with the top first and then the bottom while trying to achieve a uniform alignment all the way around. Hold it exactly where you want it, and then tighten the screws and top nut evenly making sure it holds it's position.
PM me if you need some help, I am close bye and take Scenic Drive lots of times when I am out with the cars and could take a look at it if you like.
Thanks, will give it a try again. I have the clamshell and lower gauge pod installed in dash. Speedo I could swear was lined up fairly well but now that I am securing all tight it just seems off.

Am I correct that a 1958 Corvette has about 12,000 pieces?!

Jersey Shore?, just saw that, scenic drives? Meaning Windmill Hot Dog stand? Yum!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRC
Jersey Shore?, just saw that, scenic drives? Meaning Windmill Hot Dog stand? Yum!
Scenic Drive is that winding, hilly road with the S turns that faces the water near where you live. Great views of NYC and the Harbor. It's a good test for suspension and brakes as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM
DRC
Pro

Scenic Drive is that winding, hilly road with the S turns that faces the water near where you live. Great views of NYC and the Harbor. It's a good test for suspension and brakes as well.
Oh yea. That's a good run for Vettes and Harleys. It's actually called the Dragon's Toe I think, a small version of the Dragon in N.C.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 speedo fit to clamshell?

Quick Reply: 58 speedo fit to clamshell?