C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 a/c decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 PM
DRIGUY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 a/c decision

I have a 66 roadster big block non a/c and desire to add a/c. The decision is which shop to go with. My car is a really nice driver, but not a numbers matching high dollar car so i'm more concerned with functionality than exact originality.

Shop 1 recommends Gen IV kit as it comes. These folks do a lot of custom installation.

Shop 2 recommends Gen IV interior components and according to them more advanced components under the hood, with as much hand line connections as possible; a hybrid system. The owner believes his suggested hybrid system performs better in hot/humid Florida weather and uses more current technology. In this case the owners does all the vintage installations.

The costs are basically the same. Both are well respected shop with good reputations and in business over 20 years; are Vintage Air dealers/installers; and have significant experience with C2 corvette a/c (original and aftermarket), as well as, other vintage car and hot rods.

What's the opinion about a hybrid system vs a complete Gen IV system?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Technite73
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 25 Posts

Why not mention the shop's names and ask for feedback from members who have used these shops.

I personally know of at least 2 shops in Ft Lauderdale that do these installations.

Originally Posted by DRIGUY
I have a 66 roadster big block non a/c and desire to add a/c. The decision is which shop to go with. My car is a really nice driver, but not a numbers matching high dollar car so i'm more concerned with functionality than exact originality.

Shop 1 recommends Gen IV kit as it comes. These folks do a lot of custom installation.

Shop 2 recommends Gen IV interior components and according to them more advanced components under the hood, with as much hand line connections as possible; a hybrid system. The owner believes his suggested hybrid system performs better in hot/humid Florida weather and uses more current technology. In this case the owners does all the vintage installations.

The costs are basically the same. Both are well respected shop with good reputations and in business over 20 years; are Vintage Air dealers/installers; and have significant experience with C2 corvette a/c (original and aftermarket), as well as, other vintage car and hot rods.

What's the opinion about a hybrid system vs a complete Gen IV system?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:28 PM
DRIGUY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technite73
Why not mention the shop's names and ask for feedback from members who have used these shops.

I personally know of at least 2 shops in Ft Lauderdale that do these installations.
I'm in Tampa, the shops are Marks Air and Air Innovations.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

If it were my car I'd go with shop one using the gen IV setup. I don't see any advantage in a hybrid system. The gen IV system works fine and you will not void out the warranty.
Just saying.......
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS409
If it were my car I'd go with shop one using the gen IV setup. I don't see any advantage in a hybrid system. The gen IV system works fine and you will not void out the warranty.
Just saying.......
I would vote for shop #2, everything else being equal, because the Gen IV installation as designed by Vintage Air has one big drawback that I don't like: you lose the passenger side fresh air vent.

If the "hybrid" element planned by shop #2 consists of re-routing the refrigerant and heater hoses in order to retain that fresh air vent, that is the best possible scenario, in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't know what a Hybrid system is but I have now installed 3 standard Gen IV systems and 5 Gen IV systems with Vintage Air Front Runners and the side port compressor (3 are in my personal cars). All the systems work great. Every time someone asks this question the loss of the right fresh air vent comes up, the factory Air system also eliminated the right vent. I just don't know what the big deal is if its to hot in the car turn on the A/C that's why you installed it in the first place.
Mark
Old 08-24-2014, 03:36 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark6669
I just don't know what the big deal is if its to hot in the car turn on the A/C that's why you installed it in the first place.
Mark
The problem is the spousal unit. Her comfort can make or break a 2000 mile road trip.

I have the pre-Gen IV Vintage Air system that uses the factory stock slide cables. It is so cumbersome to use that I mostly either have full heat or full AC. That makes the fresh air vents important in my environmental comfort strategy.

I am giving serious consideration to getting the Gen IV evaporator unit and controls, bringing my system into the 21st century.

Of course, I will have to make up my own hoses in order to keep that fresh air vent functional.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Technite73

I just had mine done by Bill Anderson in Pompano here in south Fl-( thanx to your recommendation)have enjoyed the VA Gen IV in 90+ heat and my wife says thank you to Ron
Old 08-24-2014, 06:10 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Check out the Old Air a/c. You don't loose the vent or the glove box. You can get the old Delco compressor or the Sanden.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default A/c

I have the older Vintage Air system in my 66 coupe. The install was not to difficult. You can see my system and decide for yourself if it is something you want to tackle on your own. I have heard good things about Marks. I don't know if he has experience with C-2's though. Have you checked with Classic Auto Air in west Tampa? They used to do installs at their shop. I can also check with one of my friends that does work on my company cars. He has a few vettes and other classic cars. PM me for more info. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To 66 a/c decision

Quick Reply: 66 a/c decision