C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Drive to Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Drive to Carlisle

Like lots of guys here on the C1/C2 Forum I believe that this cars were meant to be driven. Well, this past weekend I put my money where my mouth is!

I drove the '63 to Carlisle, 350 miles round trip and the old girl never let me down. Not saying I didn't have an issue or two but nothing that caused me to have to stop and make roadside repairs. Water temp remained good in 85-90 degree weather going up and the carb surged a little when it was hot but kept going. A brake light switch wire fall off (fixed at the fairgrounds) and the windshield leaks like there's no gasket around it! You know, you'd think a car named after a boat would be more waterproof! The windshield must be pretty common since I saw many midyears with towels laying at the base of the windshield. Guess this gives me one more thing to do this winter.

All in all the car was solid and the trip back was great, cool and dry, just right cruising in a SWC. Too bad the weather at the event wasn't as good.

Man I love these cars!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Good for you! I drove mine 570 miles home after buying it last year. I also found out I need a new windshield seal...go figure! The future of these cars depends on their getting exposure I've been saying for some time now...
Old 08-26-2014, 12:23 PM
appaloosa 0012
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never leave home without some good old towels .You never know how bad is going to rain!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I drove my 61 to Carlisle from Mass a few years ago. It's a 1,000 mile round trip. I take the newer Z06 these days. Alot more comfortable, but doesn't get any where near the attention the old ones do on the road, that's for sure.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by capevettes
I drove my 61 to Carlisle from Mass a few years ago. It's a 1,000 mile round trip. I take the newer Z06 these days. Alot more comfortable, but doesn't get any where near the attention the old ones do on the road, that's for sure.
You got that right. One cool thing about driving a classic is not only does it make you happy but it makes plenty of other people happy. Thumbs ups, waves, pictures being taken from other cars; it sure spreads the joy!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM
DavidTheJeweler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick fix

I drove 664 miles each way and enjoyed every minute even with the rain. A little clear packaging tape will seal the wind shield top edge and will peal right off when you get home. I'm not
convinced anyone can keep these cars dry when it rains.
Originally Posted by VetteJohn
Like lots of guys here on the C1/C2 Forum I believe that this cars were meant to be driven. Well, this past weekend I put my money where my mouth is!

I drove the '63 to Carlisle, 350 miles round trip and the old girl never let me down. Not saying I didn't have an issue or two but nothing that caused me to have to stop and make roadside repairs. Water temp remained good in 85-90 degree weather going up and the carb surged a little when it was hot but kept going. A brake light switch wire fall off (fixed at the fairgrounds) and the windshield leaks like there's no gasket around it! You know, you'd think a car named after a boat would be more waterproof! The windshield must be pretty common since I saw many midyears with towels laying at the base of the windshield. Guess this gives me one more thing to do this winter.

All in all the car was solid and the trip back was great, cool and dry, just right cruising in a SWC. Too bad the weather at the event wasn't as good.

Man I love these cars!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Great cars to ride in ....

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
You got that right. One cool thing about driving a classic is not only does it make you happy but it makes plenty of other people happy. Thumbs ups, waves, pictures being taken from other cars; it sure spreads the joy!
I guess 20,000 miles on one trip made a lot of people happy

Going on 56,000 miles since 2010, and about 240,000 since 1970.

I really like making people happy....

www.corvettevagabond.com or the sticky at the top of this forum. The car is packed and the 48 states await.

I should really get a real car......
Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Been driving my Corvette to Carlisle Event for the past ten years. My 65 coupe for the last five years. I am not sure which is more fun, driving it there or the Event. So far I have had Zero problems. Next year I plan on being in the 50 year tent. Wouldn't miss it for anything.
This year I won Celebrities Choice Award. What a nice surprise.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 AM
jpaul
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Drove my 59, 1200 miles to Lancaster ( SACC national convention ) then to Carlisle. Love the cruise control that I installed several years ago. Caravanned with a club member who drove his original 55.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Default Congrads!

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Been driving my Corvette to Carlisle Event for the past ten years. My 65 coupe for the last five years. I am not sure which is more fun, driving it there or the Event. So far I have had Zero problems. Next year I plan on being in the 50 year tent. Wouldn't miss it for anything.
This year I won Celebrities Choice Award. What a nice surprise.
Congratulations on the award. I also got one and like you wasn't expecting it. The machined plate was really cool looking and very different from other awards them have given out.

John
Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidTheJeweler
I drove 664 miles each way and enjoyed every minute even with the rain. A little clear packaging tape will seal the wind shield top edge and will peal right off when you get home. I'm not
convinced anyone can keep these cars dry when it rains.
I don't think anyone has or will top Jack for miles driven in a Corvette.

I put 3000 miles on my 67 going to, participating in and driving home from the Hot Rod Power Tour. We encountered rain 3 days of the tour, sometimes a downpour, and I only got a few drips from the convertible top. I would suggest most water leaks are from a improper fitting top and weather-stripping, not a windshield leaking. My earlier leaks were around the vent windows from a poor fit. A little tweaking with the vent window and weather-strip and my leaks have almost disappeared. A great indicator of an improper weather-strip fit, from my old bodyman friend, is to put a dollar bill between the vent window and windshield frame, if it slides out when pulled, adjustment is needed. Once it stays in place you will find the leak issue has been solved.
Rick
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jpaul
Drove my 59, 1200 miles to Lancaster ( SACC national convention ) then to Carlisle. Love the cruise control that I installed several years ago. Caravanned with a club member who drove his original 55.
I may have spotted you two at a toll booth on the Pennsylvania turnpike leaving Carlisle. Both cars were white - you pulled out first and waited for the '55.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM
jpaul
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, that was us, the 55 got a celebrity award from Jerry Heasley
Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Rickenbach
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't go to Carlisle, but I flew to Eastern PA, and drove back 1900 miles to Western Colorado in a '66. Surprisingly the car ran like crap until I started rising in elevation, once I hit the mountains she was hitting her stride and I couldn't keep from smiling. Windshield leaked like a sieve, and the wipers weren't in the right configuration. That's what I get for buying a car that the previous owner rubbed with a cloth diaper for 12 years. She'll get driven now, until I find the '67 that fits my needs.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 PM
JLSmith
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickenbach
I didn't go to Carlisle, but I flew to Eastern PA, and drove back 1900 miles to Western Colorado in a '66. Surprisingly the car ran like crap until I started rising in elevation, once I hit the mountains she was hitting her stride and I couldn't keep from smiling. Windshield leaked like a sieve, and the wipers weren't in the right configuration. That's what I get for buying a car that the previous owner rubbed with a cloth diaper for 12 years. She'll get driven now, until I find the '67 that fits my needs.
You bought one! That was pretty quick. I'm still looking!
- Jeff
Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Rickenbach
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSmith
You bought one! That was pretty quick. I'm still looking!
- Jeff
I couldn't wait. I needed one to tide me over.

Get notified of new replies

To Drive to Carlisle

Quick Reply: Drive to Carlisle