C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Is Not For Me, Right?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

My C2 has power steering. If you find one that doesn't, it can be added pretty reasonably.

The biggest, most costly mistake people make when buying a car is not having the frame and birdcage inspected for rust.

As you mentioned, the styling is awesome and if you're looking for a long term relationship this car is it.

They are simple to work on and aren't a constant hassle. All my post purchase expenses have been maintenance items and improvements.

I had a Porsche 944 Turbo and gees it was fun to drive but I don't think Warren Buffet could afford to keep it on the road so I know where you're coming from.

I own a 69 Camaro too, and it's about the same to maintain. Same rules apply - don't get a rustbucket.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 PM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I saw a guy on youtube kinda complaining about how hard it is to drive around town. That's nonsense right?

My SS with the LS3 is a manual shift, and when you're in traffic the car isn't happy, it's a bit jumpy, wants to go you know? So my wife thinks it's hard to drive around in traffic, but I don't mind at all. I have a custom exhaust, so I'm always happy to sit in it while it's running

Now the C2 doesn't have power steering. I get that. But I find it hard to believe that's it's hard to drive in town. Going stoplight to stoplight is my favorite thing to do!
Ok I kinda know what your struggling with. I asked a lot of these same questions before I made the jump. Just got my 65 vert last week after owning 3 c4s and a c6 over the past 20 years. When I asked the guys in the c6 section about thinking about a c2, many said I would be disappointed. But I found many of the c2 owners used to have c5s and c6s and prefer the c2s. After a week of owning a c2....I absolutely love it. It has a fun factor that is far beyond my c6 to drive. Not as fast, not as smooth, not the bells and whistles....but fun as hell to drive. Not to mention the continuous horn toots and thumbs up. I'm lucky enough to be able to own both cars.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

It has a fun factor that is far beyond my c6 to drive. Not as fast, not as smooth, not the bells and whistles....but fun as hell to drive. Not to mention the continuous horn toots and thumbs up. I'm lucky enough to be able to own both cars.
This, is a nutshell, is what most of the C2 experience is about...

But
The trick for you will be finding the well sorted out driver in your price range. The closer you are to 50 (or if you can go a little more) the better off you will be because you "should" be getting a car that has had most of the important stuff done.

The best values will be in the 63 Convertibles and 64 coupes/verts.

I spent 40K on a driver 67 Convertible, and have had to do a lot of work... and its almost ready. I have put about $6K more into it, and it has taken about 9 months... when I am finished, it should be able to be driven a fair amount without too much worry...

But...

they are 50 year old cars... things happen.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Like you, I have always loved the C2 style. The 64 is a great way to go because the price is the lowest of the 5 years that they made that style. No regrets on my end.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
Like you, I have always loved the C2 style. The 64 is a great way to go because the price is the lowest of the 5 years that they made that style. No regrets on my end.
'64 is the cheapest car for car, and has the best of the minor styling changes which makes it my pick. I bought a solid presentable numbers matching car for a tick under 30k and drive it straight home 570 miles last year after selling the c6. Best decision I ever made. It has been the most reliable old car I've ever owned by far- there are no guarantees in a 50 year old car. There is no comparison to the razor edge handling of modern sports car, but I enjoy the raw sensations of the c2 of the c2 and it's a great performer when you factor in when it was designed. The sheer effect of the car visually in and out is second to none in my book, sitting with rare classics costing many, many multiples more. Go for it. Forget any comparison to your late model car.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:21 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
A nicely sorted 2nd Generation Corvette should be just as reliable as a nicely sorted 1st Generation Camaro. It's basically a '60's Biscayne with a weird backwards-*** spring in the back. And 3 times the u-joints.

Ray
Dang - you are going to destroy the illusion of superiority that we all share with owning old Corvettes.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Well ..I hate to disagree...but I believe upkeep for a Camaro will be MUCH cheaper than an old Corvette.

ANYONE in the garage or body shop business can fix anything on a Camaro for nickels compared to what an experienced Corvette shop charges.

The joke is that Corvettes are made of "unobtanium".

...and not just any body shop "should" work on an old Corvette, they can make some very expensive mistakes.

If I had it to do over ..I would buy a steel bodied muscle classic....they are sooo much easier to make "near perfect" if you are so inclined. ...and a "nice" highly optioned steel bodied car usually cost about what a very sound entry level mid year Corvette begins at. (There are exceptions to that of course...like a Hemi Cuda Convertible or some of the COPO cars).

A LOT depends on how big of a guy you are too. If you are a big man, old Corvettes can be very cramped for extended drives.

If you haven't... you ought to drive one. Dealers like Greg Wyatt that deal in steel and fiberglass classics might be a big help if you are ready to lay down some cash...jut don't expect many test rides unless you are serious..

Good luck ...Stan
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Like you, I too had a classic Jag. In fact, I was also the president of the local British Car Club for a few years, and had plenty of exposure to Jags. I've owned two Vettes now for the past 27 or so years (a 58 & a 64), and believe me, there is no comparison to the Jag. The Vettes do need work every now and then, sure, but the Jag never let you forget it was a Jag and needed attention all the time. I loved the classic looks of that Jag, but, after only 10 years, and never getting any closer to being 'finished', I couldn't take it anymore, and sold it. I haven't regretted it. The Vettes stay 'fixed' once you've attended to the problem, and you can enjoy them for a relatively long period, before the next problem crops up.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

I don't think Greg Wyatt has anything close to down around 50k for a c2, but if the OP is in the area his shop/farm/airstrip/ dealership of Corvettes is a must see. He's a great guy and did Steve here on the forum a real solid with some shifter trouble. I have no affiliation. Also, I don't think he has many non corvettes in.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:51 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys! First time poster here.

I'm just here to ask if a driver's car, costing around $35-$50,000 is something that I'll be able to enjoy hassle free? I'd like to drive 1-3 times a week when the weather is nice. I wouldn't mind fixing something 1-2 times a year. Does that sounds about right for a C2 or do these cars require constant love and care?

PS - I do most of my own repairs on modern cars. Alternators, belts, plugs, AC compressors, fuel injectors, easy stuff. BUT! I'm terrified of carburetors. So many many years watching my dad battle them haha !
If you get a 327 car with a Carter carburetor you should be fine. All a Carter AFB ever needs is to have the float bowls wiped out with a rag every 20 years or so.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I saw a guy on youtube kinda complaining about how hard it is to drive around town. That's nonsense right?

My SS with the LS3 is a manual shift, and when you're in traffic the car isn't happy, it's a bit jumpy, wants to go you know? So my wife thinks it's hard to drive around in traffic, but I don't mind at all. I have a custom exhaust, so I'm always happy to sit in it while it's running

Now the C2 doesn't have power steering. I get that. But I find it hard to believe that's it's hard to drive in town. Going stoplight to stoplight is my favorite thing to do!
No power steering?? My 63 has PS. PS, PB, PW & AIR were options on all C2's (except for 427-435 cars, no AIR). If you take your time you can find a well optioned C2.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Paddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by appaloosa 0012
I sold my 1967 Camaro 350 SS (clone) when I found a 1963 SWC in a gagrage. After replacing/repairing all of the mechancial systems and installing new bushings, bearings,ball joints etc. I had the car stripped and repainted with base coat/clearcoat.

I have owned the car for ten years and have updated it with some more modern features such as new carb and intake, 4 wheel disc brakes, cam and HEI, but I have basically kept the look and feel of the original.
Love to drive the car to Cruise-in and shows. Way more attention getting than the Camaro!

Go get a C2!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 Is Not For Me, Right?