C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Is Not For Me, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 Is Not For Me, Right?

Hey guys! First time poster here.

I'm just here to ask if a driver's car, costing around $35-$50,000 is something that I'll be able to enjoy hassle free? I'd like to drive 1-3 times a week when the weather is nice. I wouldn't mind fixing something 1-2 times a year. Does that sounds about right for a C2 or do these cars require constant love and care?

My first classic was a Jag. And you know what? Those beautiful looks aren't worth the trouble. I just don't want to go down that path again. It's painful. I ended up HATING something that I loved. Just a horrible feeling.

PS - I do most of my own repairs on modern cars. Alternators, belts, plugs, AC compressors, fuel injectors, easy stuff. BUT! I'm terrified of carburetors. So many many years watching my dad battle them haha

Thanks so much for really honest opinions!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Once these cars are dialed in, they run pretty trouble free. When you first get it you go over each system and do any repairs, maintenance needed and then you go!

Don
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Compared to an old English sports car these cars are much easier to work on, maintain and source parts for. But unless you get lucky, you're probably looking toward the higher end of your 35-50k budget for a good solid, mechanically sound driver. My .02

Last edited by Gary's '66; 08-26-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Buy a C2 that gets driven not a garage queen

Hi Snappy,

I agree with previous posts.

If you look for a C2 that is driven regularly and purchase from the driver you will have few problems.

Stay away from the show car that is seldom driven - these are the ones that will keep you busy.

Phil
Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

I'm honestly looking at 67-69 Camaors. Restomods with crate engines. I've even found some that have the LS3 just like my 2011 SS. That might sound blasphemous to some of you guys, but it's cool, you get classic Camaro looks with modern reliability. The whole setup is really well suited to my busy lifestyle. And while I can afford a classic, I can't afford monthly repairs. Yearly, sure. But I'm not in a position to drop a mortgage payment in repairs each month haha. And I've been there!

But the C2 coupe has these curves and lines that drive me wild. I don't need to wax on, but it might be the best design in the history of the automobile.

Anyway. My wife has oked me on the classic since we have an SS convertible that's always going to be solid. And I really want to buy something that I can keep forever and have a relationship with.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:48 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

There are a lot of guys here who have installed an LS in their C2. Some like NCRS type cars, others like restomods. You will find them here with an LS3 on a stock frame, LS on a custom frame, suspension upgrades from C4's or C5's, or other.........you will see it all here, just search.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Originally Posted by 5thvet
There are a lot of guys here who have installed an LS in their C2. Some like NCRS type cars, others like restomods. You will find them here with an LS3 on a stock frame, LS on a custom frame, suspension upgrades from C4's or C5's, or other.........you will see it all here, just search.
I have seen some! Just not sure I can afford it. Maybe it would be worth saving for?

But you guys tell me, when it comes to the C2, isn't it a religious experience? I'm being serious. It seems blasphemous to heavily mod a C2.

But thanks! I'll do some more research!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Most C2 corvettes that get heavily modified these days were in pretty bad shape to begin with and nothing of real rarity.

Last edited by Gary's '66; 08-26-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

A nicely sorted 2nd Generation Corvette should be just as reliable as a nicely sorted 1st Generation Camaro. It's basically a '60's Biscayne with a weird backwards-*** spring in the back. And 3 times the u-joints.

Ray
Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The Camaros going to be cheaper on parts and repairs if youre paying someone. Any old cars going to need something sooner or later.
I just wish they had more legroom or Id have a C1 modded to death
Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If you can do the basic maint. as stated you should be just fine. Once you get the car sorted out, it should run fine. You will have issues from time to time, but that is expected by myself.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Just did an under the hood tour of the 327, really simple, straight forward. My dad told me rear brakes are a bit tricky. I don't know, probably not a lot to be afraid of.

Thanks for the encouragement
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I have seen some! Just not sure I can afford it. Maybe it would be worth saving for?

But you guys tell me, when it comes to the C2, isn't it a religious experience? I'm being serious. It seems blasphemous to heavily mod a C2.

But thanks! I'll do some more research!
To get into a C2, you should be fairly committed. Or maybe it's legally committed.

Some folks will be unhappy if they see that you have heavily modified a formerly fairly original car. A subset of that group will actually criticize you for it, just as some other religious folks might do about other aspects of how YOU live YOUR life. That's the problem with fanaticism. Most likely, though, nobody will shoot you or bomb you over it.
If you ask what I think or what I would do, I'd tell you politely, but I won't offer unsolicited criticism. When you own it, you can do what you want with it.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Ok, one more question, just coming from a place of ignorance... is fiberglass anything to be afraid of? If I buy a car that looks good enough for me, not show worthy or anything, just good enough - will the paint deteriorate over time due to the fiberglass?

Or is a bad paint job just going to wear down over time regardless of what's underneath?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

snaphappy,

As OldKarz stated: "If you can do the basic maint. as stated you should be just fine. Once you get the car sorted out, it should run fine. You will have issues from time to time, but that is expected by myself."...it's the sorting out that all of us experience in order to get a warm and fuzzy with their ride.

My experience is enjoying the car and modifying it to suit my tastes/desires for long haul tripping. A few of the subtle and not so subtle changes to my original 300 horse small block:

Pulled the original engine/trans and rearend for a generic 327 (I like that vintage look) and built it to mimic a solid lifter L76 in looks using the '70 solid lifter LT-1 cam, lifter and intake, then added a Keisler 5 speed, coupling that to a 3.73:1 posi rear.

Added shoulder harness safety belts bolted to the frame.
Added daytime running lights.
Added LED parking and taillights.
Added 4 way flashers
Added relays for the headlights (REALLY made a difference)
Added Classic Auto Air Conditioning

Finally, with modern radials (Michelins) and KYB gas shocks on a vintage, stock frame, I decided to do the "best of both worlds" adding a complete undercar, mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust system with an H-pipe and Dynomax shorty mufflers to the factory side exhaust system. Made this work by using a set of Doug's Electric cutouts. Push a button and with my bride aboard, conversation and radio music is achieved on long hauls. When it's just me, the radios off and the side pipes are open to provide "the best of both worlds"!

Sorry for this litany of changes listed but I've done so to let you know the possibilities are endless (governed only by your wallet) to make your ride satisfying to YOU.

Once you have done the sorting out, the confidence to drive her, stretching her legs, will grow exponentially. My wife and I did a 5,800 mile trip to the coast last year. Trouble?? Oh yeh, 1 quart of oil burned!!!

Just fall back on the fact that if you maintain 'em, fluid levels always up and clean, she'll treat you well.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
snaphappy,

As OldKarz stated: "If you can do the basic maint. as stated you should be just fine. Once you get the car sorted out, it should run fine. You will have issues from time to time, but that is expected by myself."...it's the sorting out that all of us experience in order to get a warm and fuzzy with their ride.

My experience is enjoying the car and modifying it to suit my tastes/desires for long haul tripping. A few of the subtle and not so subtle changes to my original 300 horse small block:

Pulled the original engine/trans and rearend for a generic 327 (I like that vintage look) and built it to mimic a solid lifter L76 in looks using the '70 solid lifter LT-1 cam, lifter and intake, then added a Keisler 5 speed, coupling that to a 3.73:1 posi rear.

Added shoulder harness safety belts bolted to the frame.
Added daytime running lights.
Added LED parking and taillights.
Added 4 way flashers
Added relays for the headlights (REALLY made a difference)
Added Classic Auto Air Conditioning

Finally, with modern radials (Michelins) and KYB gas shocks on a vintage, stock frame, I decided to do the "best of both worlds" adding a complete undercar, mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust system with an H-pipe and Dynomax shorty mufflers to the factory side exhaust system. Made this work by using a set of Doug's Electric cutouts. Push a button and with my bride aboard, conversation and radio music is achieved on long hauls. When it's just me, the radios off and the side pipes are open to provide "the best of both worlds"!

Sorry for this litany of changes listed but I've done so to let you know the possibilities are endless (governed only by your wallet) to make your ride satisfying to YOU.

Once you have done the sorting out, the confidence to drive her, stretching her legs, will grow exponentially. My wife and I did a 5,800 mile trip to the coast last year. Trouble?? Oh yeh, 1 quart of oil burned!!!

Just fall back on the fact that if you maintain 'em, fluid levels always up and clean, she'll treat you well.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Thanks Jim, this was awesome!! All the feedback I've received has been really encouraging!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Fiberglass is nothing to be afraid of, it is just different to repair than metal. The paint lasts just as long as on metal so not to worry about that.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Is Not For Me, Right?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

I saw a guy on youtube kinda complaining about how hard it is to drive around town. That's nonsense right?

My SS with the LS3 is a manual shift, and when you're in traffic the car isn't happy, it's a bit jumpy, wants to go you know? So my wife thinks it's hard to drive around in traffic, but I don't mind at all. I have a custom exhaust, so I'm always happy to sit in it while it's running

Now the C2 doesn't have power steering. I get that. But I find it hard to believe that's it's hard to drive in town. Going stoplight to stoplight is my favorite thing to do!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Ok, one more question, just coming from a place of ignorance... is fiberglass anything to be afraid of? If I buy a car that looks good enough for me, not show worthy or anything, just good enough - will the paint deteriorate over time due to the fiberglass?

Or is a bad paint job just going to wear down over time regardless of what's underneath?
Let's just say there are some "considerations." Some cracks will probably develop in a few places, but overall the paint job done 18-22 years ago on my '67 has held up well.

BUT--certain substances, such as air conditioner compressor oil, can soak through from the inside and ultimately bubble the paint on the surface. Some folks think this can be solved with repeated solvent treatments, but others and I are dubious and think the affected fiberglass is unsalvageable in terms of getting paint to stay good. By far the most commonly mentioned issue of this type IS the A/C compressor, and that's solved by replacing the hood (having sealed the underside surface of the replacement hood and installing an aftermarket A/C pulley shield invented because of this issue.

So, join the fun if you believe the C2 is just about the most beautiful car ever designed, but be prepared for an occasionally bumpy ride. Otherwise, it might not be worth it to you. Whatever you decide, I hope the choice you make adds a lot of fun to your life.

Last edited by SI67; 08-26-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:18 PM
appaloosa 0012
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 856666
Hi Snappy,

I agree with previous posts.

If you look for a C2 that is driven regularly and purchase from the driver you will have few problems.

Stay away from the show car that is seldom driven - these are the ones that will keep you busy.

Phil

Quick Reply: C2 Is Not For Me, Right?