C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is my used 62 Fuel Injection unit worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
FOR SURE, it definitely is some kind of a hybrid/built unit. Without having it on the workbench, I can't tell for sure what parts are on it.
When looking closely at the plenum tag, it is clear that the tag has been removed, or at least, messed with. I do not know of any such 7370 unit. There are multiple components/parts/features which ARE NOT consistent with a 62 unit (7355 or 7360 units).
I would suspect that the plenum tag has been made up by someone (repo plenum tags with any number desired are readily available).
Below is a perfect example. This is the plenum tag that is attached to the FI unit on my 56.
Tom,
What is the function of the interesting plumbing under the intake manifold in the engine valley?
I had to make a smaller crankcase vent when I went to the Hilborn on my 62.
Bruce B
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Default How much?

Originally Posted by Ironcross
From the pictures the air side is not 62`s and wrong fuel filter is on the fuel side

the 62`s are the best, and I do have another complete 62 air side....for the right price I could be talked out of it............
I have a friend that is nearing completion of a 62 FI that looks much like yours. Black too. He is a great car guy but has always done mustangs and rods. I was shocked when I saw it was a FI. The fellow he bought it from had already done the frame to what appears to be ncrs specs with the markings etc. My friend has done a beautiful paint, chrome, etc restoration. The car doesn't have the FI on it. How much for your spare FI unit? He said one guy offered to sell him one for $12k but he thought that was too much. I told him it probably would increase the value of the car more than that but I wasn't sure. He's not a computer guy so I told him I'd look around for him. Any insight you can give me to tell him would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dudley
Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Tom,
What is the function of the interesting plumbing under the intake manifold in the engine valley?
I had to make a smaller crankcase vent when I went to the Hilborn on my 62.
Bruce B
It's part of my home made PCV system.
The engine is a SB400, which as you know, ANY SB after 1967 (EXCEPT some service replacements) DID NOT have the hole in the rear of the block for a road draft tube or the fitting for a PCV hose.
So, I installed my own plumbing into the rear of the block with brass pipe/fittings which run under the adapter plate and all the way to the front of the lifter valley. The forward end of the pipe (which is almost up against the front wall of the valley) is capped off with 3 small holes drilled through the cap. My thinking is that the forward end of the pipe would be more likely to suck in vapor and less likely to suck in liquid oil. So far, it has worked great.
My primary objective was to be able to retain finned valve covers WITHOUT any holes for crankcase ventilation.
The 63 FI units have a vacuum port on the right, rear of the plenum for a PCV valve and 57-62 plenums have a vacuum port on the left rear of the plenum. So I patterned my PCV system after the 63 setup, except the PCV valve is on the left side. It's been like this for several years with ZERO issues. The PCV valve that I used is the generic replacement valve for a 63 with FI.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:43 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Tom,
Nice work as usual.
I would hate to see holes in the 9 fin covers.
Bruce B

Quick Reply: What is my used 62 Fuel Injection unit worth?