C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Memories of Magazine cars that led to developing your tastes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Memories of Magazine cars that led to developing your tastes!

On Ebay, I spotted a Magazine car that instantly took me back to thumbing through to find that article. This was one of my role model cars from the 70's that led to my Corvette Religious level fanatic viewpoint on Corvette building. What were some of the cars that most influenced you in the hobby or on your builds or what you chose to buy!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Astoria Chas.

K-Motion.....

JIM
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Back in the early '70s there was a Chrome bumper C3 maybe Mulsanne blue with a white stripe, flared fenders, and at the time the fattest tires you could imagine on the cover of Corvette News. I loved that car as it looked like it was ready to road race. I still want to recreate that type of build to this day.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Back around 81 on the cover of Hot Rodding, Hot Rod or Popular Hot Rod, something like that, there was a cover with a maroon mid year convertible and a yellow 78-80 Z-28 both were blown, tubbed and had roll cages. The Corvette belonged to a guy who worked for the UPS name Mike Prince if I remember correctly and the Z-28 belonged to a guy whose nickname was/is Gofer. Both were beautiful but I loved that Corvette. Also some buddies of mine have had their cars, non Corvette but beautiful just the same, on various covers. Ricky Griffin and Scott Whidby. Scott still builds pro-touring '69 Camaro's with another buddy, Bob Harrell. Great guys and car builders.

Back to the Vette, I've looked online several times for the cover of the magine but can't seem to find it. I probably have the title wrong.

/Tracy
Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I probably have that Hot Rod!

If I can find it fast without going on a full house search mission, then I will post it up! I have all of the special Corvette edition Hot Rods, Car Crafts, Popular Hot Rodding and Annuals and stuff out about a week or so ago back to the late 60's and all thru the 70's.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The article on the original Grand Sports in a 1967 issue of Car and Driver started a fever that has not abated to this day. That issue had a Meyers Manx with Formula 1 tires on the cover.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't really pin-point what led me to my 1966 GTO, other than my brother had/has a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville and I remember seeing and reading about the GTO in various factory literature he had with it - when I started looking at other cars I just loved how the GTO seemed to have a classier interior - at least in my eyes.. Keep in mind, "looking at other cars" meant flipping through magazines because I was just a kid...

Two things stick very firmly in my mind relative to the corvette however. My Uncle would take me and my brothers to a couple of go-kart tracks next to the airport in Erie and one day there was a black midyear there and although the go-kart tracks are long gone and the entire area changed, I can't go down that road without seeing that black corvette, in my mind, parked exactly where it was, facing exactly as it was.. The next thing relates exactly to the original posting here and I still have the magazine from 1997 that I saved, not even sure where or how I got it, but I saved it:

Those two black corvettes sealed the deal that I would try to have one someday..

With both the GTO and corvette - dreams do come true, if you work hard enough for them..

Rich

Last edited by Rzepka_r; 09-01-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

I can remember the moment for all 3 of my cars. All the way back in the year 2000 I went with a friend to look at a go-cart he had stored at a friends house. We went in the garage and there was a 96 SS Camaro and I about lost my mind, it was love at first sight! So I ended up with a 00 SS Camaro brand new a year later. At a cruise in back in 2006 a girl I used to work with had a 02 Z06 and I had that same feeling all over again. It took a few years, but I got a 03 Z06. Shortly after buying the Z06 I was walking my dog one day and heard a car coming up behind us. It was a 1960 Corvette and I fell in love! Almost 5 years to that very day I bought that exact car. My garage is not the biggest, but I have made the most of the space

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

I saw the same Road and Track cover as Garrett and speced out a Sebring Silver Z06 with saddle interior, but then saw the Silver Blue roadster on the cover of Car and Driver and decided I really wanted an open car for my first new car.

The topless fun factor for all those early years far surpassed what the Z06 would have provided. I rode and drove other SWC and found them wanting for the feel of freedom that my roadster had/has.

Nowwww, for the current WOW and $$$$ factor an original owner Z06 far surpasses my original owner roadster, but then I didn't buy a Corvette for an investment, I bought it for FUN and FUN it is. I still have the smiles...... Not the same smiles as Garrett, but smiles just the same....

October 62 Car and Driver cover
https://www.google.com/search?q=63+c...ml%3B375%3B500

Last edited by Ol Blue; 09-02-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling correctioni

Get notified of new replies

To Memories of Magazine cars that led to developing your tastes!

Quick Reply: Memories of Magazine cars that led to developing your tastes!