C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 p/w switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 PM
BILL88
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1966 p/w switch

hi,
i picked up a 1966 a/c coupe. my question concerns the p/w switch. when i push the switch for the driver`s door window forward, the window goes down. on passenger side, push the switch back & window goes down.
shouldn`t each switch when pushed to the rear of the car make both windows go down? are wires crossed on one of the motors?
thanks,
bill
Old 08-28-2014, 03:12 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BILL88
hi,
i picked up a 1966 a/c coupe. my question concerns the p/w switch. when i push the switch for the driver`s door window forward, the window goes down. on passenger side, push the switch back & window goes down.
shouldn`t each switch when pushed to the rear of the car make both windows go down? are wires crossed on one of the motors?
thanks,
bill
Yes, each switch should move its corresponding window down moved rearward and up when moved forward. Something seems to be wired backwards on driver's-side circuit, but couldn't the error just as easily be at the switch end as at the motor end?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default switch

Originally Posted by SI67
Yes, each switch should move its corresponding window down moved rearward and up when moved forward. Something seems to be wired backwards on driver's-side circuit, but couldn't the error just as easily be at the switch end as at the motor end?
If the drivers door side switch moves the passengers window and vise-verse, I think the switch assembly might be turned around. It is not keyed, so I think it could be installed backward in the console. If it is, pushing the passengers sw. fwd. would make the drivers window go down. As stated in an earlier post, the PW's should work with the key off.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
If the drivers door side switch moves the passengers window and vise-verse, I think the switch assembly might be turned around. It is not keyed, so I think it could be installed backward in the console. If it is, pushing the passengers sw. fwd. would make the drivers window go down. As stated in an earlier post, the PW's should work with the key off.
That's not the situation here. Only the driver's window is reversed in direction. The passenger side works correctly.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-28-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Bill88 - Have you lifted the console and looked underneath? The PW wiring harness has a single connector that presses onto the posts of the PW switch in the console. That's the normal situation. But, if 'Bubba' has been into your midyear like mine, it will look something similar to this where they actually soldered each wire onto each post. In my case, they put the right wire on the right post and it functioned correctly (but since corrected), in your case, unless the switch is the culprit, someone might have gotten the wires crossed up. A long shot but a possibility.

Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 08-28-2014, 12:20 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Bill88 - Have you lifted the console and looked underneath? The PW wiring harness has a single connector that presses onto the posts of the PW switch in the console. That's the normal situation. But, if 'Bubba' has been into your midyear like mine, it will look something similar to this where they actually soldered each wire onto each post. In my case, they put the right wire on the right post and it functioned correctly (but since corrected), in your case, unless the switch is the culprit, someone might have gotten the wires crossed up. A long shot but a possibility.

Mike T - Prescott AZ
Does the motor end of things also use a connector that should similarly prevent miswiring?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Nora T Bisignano
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drivers window ok pass window only occasionally found plug had come apart plug wires loose nothing holding wires in plug piece of black tape laying under plug possible fire hazard venders sell mini harness to splice in
Old 08-28-2014, 04:29 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nora T Bisignano
drivers window ok pass window only occasionally found plug had come apart plug wires loose nothing holding wires in plug piece of black tape laying under plug possible fire hazard venders sell mini harness to splice in
There is a small tab in the center of the individual flat brass terminals that go into the connector that plugs into the motor. This provides the locking function. If it is not fatigued from prior bending, you can carefully bend this small tab out approx. 20 deg. from flat so it will again lock into its socket. The wire must have terminals crimped on the end. If there are just bare stripped wires the terminals may be still in the harness connector plugged into the motor and the wires were pulled out of the terminals. then you will need new pins.

Last edited by oldgold49er; 08-28-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

SI67 - Yes, the motor end of the PW wiring harness has what I'd call 'barrel-shaped' connectors. There are two terminals in each connector and they are placed in a 'T' configuration. They can only be attached one way.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 p/w switch

Quick Reply: 1966 p/w switch