C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How did the 1953-1954 Passenger car steering differ from the 56-62?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default How did the 1953-1954 Passenger car steering differ from the 56-62?

I have a couple of questions..

1. What is the difference between the 1956-57 steering column and box from that of a 58-62? I see that the dealers sell 56-57 as one item and 58-62 as another.

2. Is the steering column and steering box that was used on the 1953 and 1954 passenger also used on the corvettes from 56-62?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
I have a couple of questions..

1. What is the difference between the 1956-57 steering column and box from that of a 58-62? I see that the dealers sell 56-57 as one item and 58-62 as another.

2. Is the steering column and steering box that was used on the 1953 and 1954 passenger also used on the corvettes from 56-62?
The 53-57 (NOT 56-57) steering shaft/tube is about 2in LONGER than the 58-62 steering shaft. The shaft was shortened for the 58 models to improve arm reach. Otherwise, EVERYTHING in the 53-62 steering box, pitman shaft, bearings, etc is the same.
The pass car and Vette steering boxes had different turning ratios. This means the WORM on the end of the steering shaft, and the ROLLER ANGLE on the pitman shaft were different.
UNFORTUNATELY, I've never had the guts from a pass car and Vette steering boxes side by side so that I can take comparrison pictures to show the difference.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Think some passenger car boxes also used a plain bearing for the outboard side of the sector shaft (adjustment end), whereas the Corvette had a needle bearing assembly.

The side cover was different (cannot put a needle bearing assembly into the passenger car cover).

Additional difference, however this does not affect what Dennis is trying to do...

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:17 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I think you guys answered my question. I was hoping that perhaps I could perhaps obtain the worm/shaft from a chevy dealer as all the corvette dealers are out of stock.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I think you guys answered my question. I was hoping that perhaps I could perhaps obtain the worm/shaft from a chevy dealer as all the corvette dealers are out of stock.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that ain't happnin', these parts were last used in pass cars 60 yrs ago and 52yrs ago in Vettes.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, you COULD use the worm and sector/roller from a 53-54 pass car ---------------------------- if you could find one in EXCELLENT condition. It would require pulling the worm off of the end of the Vette and pass car steering shaft and pressing the pass car worm onto the Vette steering shaft, and then installing the pass car sector shaft into the Vette steering box.
ALL three (the 53-57 Vette, 58-62 Vette and the 53-54 pass car) steering shafts are different lengths. Thus, you would need to retain the steering shaft from your Vette.
The 53-54 pass car and 53-62 Vettes USE THE SAME BEARINGS in the steering box. They also use the same seal on the sector shaft.
The 49-54 pass car steering boxes and columns are 100% interchangeable, EXCEPT, the 49-52 steering boxes used BUSHINGS for the sector shaft and the 53-4 pass cars AND Vettes used caged roller bearings for the sector shaft.
Yes, I'm quite familiar with BOTH pass car and Vette steering, front cross members/suspensions because I've been working on them and rebuilding them for almost 50yrs.
By the way, if anyone here has a 49-52 pass car, swapping in a 53-4 steering column/box is an EXCELLENT upgrade because of the caged roller bearings in the 53-4 box.
Also, installing the Vette steering parts on a 49-54 pass car is an excellent additional upgrade for the pass cars (in case anyone here has one).
Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that ain't happnin', these parts were last used in pass cars 60 yrs ago and 52yrs ago in Vettes.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, you COULD use the worm and sector/roller from a 53-54 pass car ---------------------------- if you could find one in EXCELLENT condition.
Thanks for all this info...sounds like you know what you are talking about.

I think you misunderstood me...perhaps I should have been clearer.

I wasn't referring to calling up a "Chevrolet Dealer" and ordering one of these parts, I was referring to finding a company that sells reproduction Chevy Parts that might have the worm gear for a passenger car in stock that I could use on my corvette. My shaft (no pun intended) is in good shape. The problem is....nobody has the worm in stock, much less the shaft.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Thanks for all this info...sounds like you know what you are talking about.

I think you misunderstood me...perhaps I should have been clearer.

I wasn't referring to calling up a "Chevrolet Dealer" and ordering one of these parts, I was referring to finding a company that sells reproduction Chevy Parts that might have the worm gear for a passenger car in stock that I could use on my corvette. My shaft (no pun intended) is in good shape. The problem is....nobody has the worm in stock, much less the shaft.
I haven't looked lately, but at one time, there were complete rebuild kits available for 53-57 and 58-62 steering gear boxes. EVERYTHING from the steering shaft (with a worm pressed onto the shaft) to the pitman shaft and everything in between to do a complete rebuild. As I recall, the worm and roller could NOT be purchased separately, BUT, all the bearings and seals are/were available separately. So, if all you need is a worm, you gotta buy it all.
Therefore, If you can locate a used 53-62 box/column that has good parts for a decent price, that would be the way to go.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:51 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I'm dealing with a 58 corvette in particular and there are complete rebuild kits are available...the problem is, everyone is out of stock. As Rich indicated he thinks they come from one source, and if they are out...everyone is out.

Ergo...the reason for this POST..."to determine if the passenger cars had the same components and perhaps they are NOT out of stock". If I could find a shaft with a worm on it at a chevy repo parts store, I'd be good to go.

What about the steering lengths compared t
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I'm dealing with a 58 corvette in particular and there are complete rebuild kits are available...the problem is, everyone is out of stock. As Rich indicated he thinks they come from one source, and if they are out...everyone is out.

Ergo...the reason for this POST..."to determine if the passenger cars had the same components and perhaps they are NOT out of stock". If I could find a shaft with a worm on it at a chevy repo parts store, I'd be good to go.

What about the steering lengths compared t
ALL THREE STEERING SHAFTS OF 53-57 VETTES, 58-62 VETTES, 49-54 PASS CARS ARE DIFFERENT LENGTHS!!!!
The worm gear from ANY 53-62 Vette will interchange on your steering shaft if you have a way to pull/press the worm.

IF YOU USE A PASS CAR WORM----------------------YOU MUST ALSO USE THE PASS CAR SECTOR SHAFT AND ROLLER, BECAUSE THE TURNING RATIOS BETWEEN PASS CAR AND VETTE ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!
THUS, THE NUMBER OF TURNS ON THE WORMS ARE DIFFERENT AND THE ANGLE OF THE ROLLER ON THE SHAFTS ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Guess that answers that!

Get notified of new replies

To How did the 1953-1954 Passenger car steering differ from the 56-62?

Quick Reply: How did the 1953-1954 Passenger car steering differ from the 56-62?