C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stamping Frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:02 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Default Stamping Frame

I expect there has been much discussion on this, but I will ask (because I did a search and didnt get a solid response)....my frame is off and has been repaired in places. Didnt have to repair the top of the kick-up or the frame rails where the VIN was, but could not make out the VIN due to surface rust. I am going to have it blasted and powdered coated (the frame) but was interested in stamping the VIN back in the frame. Anyone know were I can get the tool(s) to stamp the approrpriate size and font VIN in the frame?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
I expect there has been much discussion on this, but I will ask (because I did a search and didnt get a solid response)....my frame is off and has been repaired in places. Didnt have to repair the top of the kick-up or the frame rails where the VIN was, but could not make out the VIN due to surface rust. I am going to have it blasted and powdered coated (the frame) but was interested in stamping the VIN back in the frame. Anyone know were I can get the tool(s) to stamp the approrpriate size and font VIN in the frame?
The George T. Schmidt Co. in Chicago (still in business today) made the original frame VIN stamper and all of the individual character dies.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Nice machine, wonder what it'll cost ya vjjack04?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I expect there has been much discussion on this,
Actually, no. Can't remember more than one or two mentions of frame stamping. No idea why a person would want to do it.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The George T. Schmidt Co. in Chicago (still in business today) made the original frame VIN stamper and all of the individual character dies.
Very nice. I thought there might be a way to do this based on using individual metal number "punches" (not sure what this would be called). I guess it doesnt really matter, but thought as long as my frame is seperated from the car, it would be neat to restamp the VIN number on it.

Last edited by vjjack04; 08-28-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Against the law in most states. I would NEVER stamp a frame...period. You can't see the numbers with the body in place anyway.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I agree with VD... its neat when you can document the frame VIN matching your car for your records (as below) but stamping a frame sounds like a bad idea. Depending on your particular state, it may be clearly listed as illegal per statute... check with your DMV site.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
I agree with VD... its neat when you can document the frame VIN matching your car for your records (as below) but stamping a frame sounds like a bad idea. Depending on your particular state, it may be clearly listed as illegal per statute... check with your DMV site.
I get it. And I have pictures of the frame before and after; am just curious about re-stamping it. Admittedly, I don't know what AZ state law says....but I can tell you here near Mexico, we dont have a periodic vehicle inspection requirement (just an example of how loosly things can be done). When I was considering buying another frame (before having this one repaired) the guy from corvetteUSA in CA said he would stamp the VIN on the frame (he intended to sell me) as long as I ground the number off of the bad frame...but, as mentioned, I understand the concerns some have.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

So, here's a question.....

If the frame is repaired in the area of the VIN (either one), do you cut out the original VIN stamp and tack it to the repaired area, or stamp the repaired area?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Subfixer
So, here's a question.....

If the frame is repaired in the area of the VIN (either one), do you cut out the original VIN stamp and tack it to the repaired area, or stamp the repaired area?
Neither.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

If you sandblast the VIN, use fine sand or the numbers will disapear. Mask off the numbers when you re paint the frame and then spray a few coats of clear over the numbers.

A thick coat of primmer and two coats of black will fill in the numbers and make them unreadable.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

This issue has come up 8 bazillion times-----------------AND I'VE NEVER HAD AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER!!!!!!!!

And here is my question.
If a car is badly wrecked, and the frame is bent, twisted, buckled, whatever (for example, the car is rearended and the rear part of the frame is buckled), and the rear of the frame is cut off and a new rear frame section is welded on, JUST HOW MUCH OF THE FRAME CAN BE REPLACED AND STILL RETAIN THE VIN???????????????????
So, now, one step further. If MOST of the frame is badly bent-------------BUT THE CENTER PORTION OF THE LEFT FRAME RAIL IS STILL STRAIGHT, WHY CAN'T THAT PART OF THE FRAME RAIL WITH THE VIN BE SPLICED INTO ANOTHER FRAME????????
Again, HOW MUCH OF A FRAME CAN BE CUT OFF AND REPLACED BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL????????
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
This issue has come up 8 bazillion times-----------------AND I'VE NEVER HAD AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER!!!!!!!!

And here is my question.
If a car is badly wrecked, and the frame is bent, twisted, buckled, whatever (for example, the car is rearended and the rear part of the frame is buckled), and the rear of the frame is cut off and a new rear frame section is welded on, JUST HOW MUCH OF THE FRAME CAN BE REPLACED AND STILL RETAIN THE VIN???????????????????
So, now, one step further. If MOST of the frame is badly bent-------------BUT THE CENTER PORTION OF THE LEFT FRAME RAIL IS STILL STRAIGHT, WHY CAN'T THAT PART OF THE FRAME RAIL WITH THE VIN BE SPLICED INTO ANOTHER FRAME????????
Again, HOW MUCH OF A FRAME CAN BE CUT OFF AND REPLACED BEFORE IT BECOMES ILLEGAL????????

ok. I have no answers, and I did originally inquire...If I am keeping 80 percent of the original frame. And it matches my original motor, trans and rear diff....I think one could re-do the vin in the original location(s)...nothing crooked about it.....I do appreciate the comments......but....
Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

ok. I have no answers, and I did originally inquire...If I am keeping 80 percent of the original frame. And it matches my original motor, trans and rear diff....I think one could re-do the vin in the original location(s)...nothing crooked about it.....I do appreciate the comments......but....
"Crooked" is not the issue. Just make sure you don't get yourself into trouble.........You've already hung yourself out there by posting this thread.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure it matches your pink....

You don't want to stamp it wrong...

Could make for some interesting legal/lawyer issues if you sell it out of state..
Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

For what it's worth the very same type of machine was used well in to the 1980's when I went to work for GM. Unibody cars were stamped on the front fender side rail.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
"Crooked" is not the issue. Just make sure you don't get yourself into trouble.........You've already hung yourself out there by posting this thread.

Interesting; sort of. I expect that whatever I do, I am the responsible party....I'll be cautious.....

My original question wasn't really about the legality, but rather, could I do it and what is required. If done, I will accept whatever legal repercussions....

Last edited by vjjack04; 08-28-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stamping Frame

Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 66jack
Whatever you decide to do, just make sure it matches your pink....

You don't want to stamp it wrong...

Could make for some interesting legal/lawyer issues if you sell it out of state..

This is solid advice...I could just stamp my name in the frame...that would be interesting in so many years...
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I don't of any place where replacing a frame is illegal.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

And here is my question.
One reason why you cant get an acceptable answer is there's probably 50 of them. Questions that affect the VIN, or possibly doing so much structural repair to a car/frame that a car is now a "handbuilt" or some designation, is up to the state you are registered in. I know for a fact some states are very lax. Those states' DMVs are so loose people wash titles through there routinely. However, in other states, the DMV or the local LE (in IL, its the Secretary of State Police) is so nasty they will take a frame off your truck if you dont have a matching title with it.

The short answer is, check with your state.

Quick Reply: Stamping Frame