C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A/C oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Default A/C oil

I've replaced most of the components of my a/c system but not the compressor. I about to refill the system with R12. Do I need to add oil? If so, how much? Do I just let it suck in the same as the R12?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Compressors don't like it when you introduce an incompressible (like oil or liquid R12) the suction side when they're running.

Drain your compressor to see how many ounces of oil you get. Your system needs about 11 oz total of 525 viscosity mineral oil for R12.

My books recommend putting 6 oz. in the compressor, 1 in the drier, 2 in the condenser and 2 in the evaporator. How? I use plastic syringes to just inject the oil via the metal input lines.

It's a good idea to rotate the compressor manually first to ensure you don't have liquid in the piston bores.

The '65 Supplement has all the info you need. Get it, read it, and then hit it.

Mike
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Compressors don't like it when you introduce an incompressible (like oil or liquid R12) the suction side when they're running.

Drain your compressor to see how many ounces of oil you get. Your system needs about 11 oz total of 525 viscosity mineral oil for R12.

My books recommend putting 6 oz. in the compressor, 1 in the drier, 2 in the condenser and 2 in the evaporator. How? I use plastic syringes to just inject the oil via the metal input lines.

It's a good idea to rotate the compressor manually first to ensure you don't have liquid in the piston bores.

The '65 Supplement has all the info you need. Get it, read it, and then hit it.

Mike
Mike

Thanks for the help. You saved me from doing something stupid.

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To A/C oil

Quick Reply: A/C oil