C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Coil and Fuel Pump recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 PM
MonkeyClaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil and Fuel Pump recommendations?

Looking for recommendations for a new coil and fuel pump for my '67 C2 w/ 300 HP 327... It was driving fine for the trip to the DMV (for other matters) and after sitting there for 2 hours it was driving fine for most of the way home, maybe 10 miles. Then it was acting fuel starved (run for a second, then dies, etc.) until it died. After sitting for around 15 minutes - actually me alternatively looking at the carb like I had any idea what was going on and cranking the engine - it started up and I got home. There was one more incident a few miles after I got it restarted, but it started almost immediately and ran fine the rest of the time.

The fuel tank is pretty clean, so I don't think there was garbage in the line. The coil and pump are old, so I thought I'd start with replacing those and see if I have the issue again.

I saw a lot of coil and pump options on Amazon. Does anyone have a favorite of either and a reason why?

Any other thoughts?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw
Looking for recommendations for a new coil and fuel pump for my '67 C2 w/ 300 HP 327... It was driving fine for the trip to the DMV (for other matters) and after sitting there for 2 hours it was driving fine for most of the way home, maybe 10 miles. Then it was acting fuel starved (run for a second, then dies, etc.) until it died. After sitting for around 15 minutes - actually me alternatively looking at the carb like I had any idea what was going on and cranking the engine - it started up and I got home. There was one more incident a few miles after I got it restarted, but it started almost immediately and ran fine the rest of the time.

The fuel tank is pretty clean, so I don't think there was garbage in the line. The coil and pump are old, so I thought I'd start with replacing those and see if I have the issue again.

I saw a lot of coil and pump options on Amazon. Does anyone have a favorite of either and a reason why?

Any other thoughts?
Instead of throwing parts at it why not try to find the real problem and repair it.

Get a test light and go for a ride around the house to get it good and warm until it quits then see if there is power on the coil + terminal while cranking as that will give you indication if you have a fuel or electrical problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by tbarb
Instead of throwing parts at it why not try to find the real problem and repair it.

Get a test light and go for a ride around the house to get it good and warm until it quits then see if there is power on the coil + terminal while cranking as that will give you indication if you have a fuel or electrical problem.
What fun is that ?

Check your fuel filter/air filter first I would think.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Sounds like the coil going bad. If you've got a spare to change it out with, you'll know right away if that was the problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 PM
MonkeyClaw
Intermediate

The coil and pump are both ancient and cheap to buy so I figured I start with those. I'm thinking coil too. The air filter is brand new, but I'll check the fuel filter. If anything, it felt like a temporary blockage of fuel (like a big chunk blocking the line, then moving out of the way). Or no spark... The rest of the ignition system is new.

Any thoughts on which coil though? Amazon has several options for my engine.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

The coil and pump are both ancient and cheap to buy so I figured I start with those. I'm thinking coil too. The air filter is brand new, but I'll check the fuel filter. If anything, it felt like a temporary blockage of fuel (like a big chunk blocking the line, then moving out of the way). Or no spark... The rest of the ignition system is new.

If running with points the Standard brand coil is a good one, IMO. Also, NAPA. .. For electronic ignition, MSD coils seems to get the nod. .. For fuel pump AC or Airtex brand.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:36 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

If you have the original 1967 40433 fuel pump it's a one year only part so don't be in such a big hurry to get rid of it.

The Napa IC-12 or is it IC-14 is a great coil, that's what I put on my 63 corvette. Don't buy the reproduction stuff, it's junk and don't throw your hard earned $$ at parts that are not bad.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:29 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by tbarb
If you have the original 1967 40433 fuel pump it's a one year only part so don't be in such a big hurry to get rid of it.

The Napa IC-12 or is it IC-14 is a great coil, that's what I put on my 63 corvette. Don't buy the reproduction stuff, it's junk and don't throw your hard earned $$ at parts that are not bad.
The IC12 is the one I use on several of my cars. Not familiar with the IC14.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The IC12 is the one I use on several of my cars. Not familiar with the IC14.
I've kept a UC-12 as my "known good coil" in the shop for many years.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I've kept a UC-12 as my "known good coil" in the shop for many years.
That must be Standard's version of the NAPA/Echlin coils, John.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 PM
MonkeyClaw
Intermediate

The UC-12 is what I ended up ordering. Thanks for all of the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Coil and Fuel Pump recommendations?

Quick Reply: Coil and Fuel Pump recommendations?