C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Gauge cluster install 63 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Gauge cluster install 63 question

I'm expecting my rebuilt gauge cluster being returned in the next couple of weeks. I'll give my opinion of the service after that. However, does the ignition switch, light switch, wiper switch need to be installed to get them to work? Can I let them just hang down below the dash and test lights, motors, etc. or do they need to be grounded thru the attachment to the cluster assembly? I don't want to get everything re-installed then test to see what doesn't work and have to pull it apart again-lib
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Pulled the cluster out of my 64 about 3 years ago and did the same thing. Hope that you are using John Hinckley's detailed instructions on cluster removal/reinstall as your Bible for this project.

As I remember, most of the switches you are talking about are the last to reinstall, after all of the lights bulbs, and gauges are installed. And, these gauges are installed from the front of the cluster, rather than from the back. So, I would recommend putting the gauge cluster back together, install the switches, etc, and then test everything.

If a wiper switch is faulty, for example, easy to replace without touching the cluster.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster install 63 question