C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone to do a PPI in the Oakland/San Leandro area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM
JLSmith
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Anyone to do a PPI in the Oakland/San Leandro area?

I may have a line on a '65 convertible that, if it lives up to its description, I would be interested in buying. Is there anyone in the Oakland/San Leandro area that could do an inspection for me?
Thanks,
- Jeff
Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.precisionmotive.com/

My car had extensive work there before I bought the car, so my inspection was quite easy.

You could call corvette clinic and ask them for a referral.

http://corvetteclinicparts.com/

Also, it makes a difference where your go if your looking at resto-mod or matching numbers car.

Last edited by irwiny; 08-28-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,029 Likes on 669 Posts

Pat Hendrix did a lot of work on a friends Bigblock 66 Roadster when I lived in the Bay Area and that friend was quite fussy and was quite satisfied.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Inspection

I will track down the number of a guy I trust in SF and email you tomorrow.
Boyan
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 AM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Pat Hendrix did a lot of work on a friends Bigblock 66 Roadster when I lived in the Bay Area and that friend was quite fussy and was quite satisfied.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
My car had about 25K of work with Pat before I bought the car, let's just say he knows Corvette's and is an expert, but he may not be the person working on your car today. I had the AC recharged and checked and got the car back and noticed the driver's duct hose had fallen off and they left the thermometer still on the passenger duct.

When Pat did my inspection, he was really good in showing me the work that was done before on the lift and took me for a test drive.

I hear good things about this two corvette shops also:

http://www.corvetterepair.org/
http://garyswestcoastcorvette.com/
Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 AM
JLSmith
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the tips. According to the description, this is a numbers matching '65 that had restoration work done on it in 2006. It's currently in storage somewhere in the East Bay/San Leandro area. I've asked for more detailed photos to try and determine if it is worth someone's time to go see it but from the description and photos I have seen, it sounds promising.
- Jeff
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Jeff - Just remembered that another Forum Member asked for mechanic recommendations in the San Francisco South Bay Peninsula. The feedback I got from my friends at the Sears Point Track (locals still prefer to call it that instead of Sonoma Raceway :-) includes Gary's which was already mentioned. The one to call is located in Burlingame off Rollins Road called West Coast Corvette, owner Gary Christiansen. (650) 344-6926 http://www.garyswestcoastcorvette.com
He's not in the East Bay but he does come highly recommended and no doubt something could be worked out to get the car to him for an inspection.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 08-29-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM
jacks66
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you may have someone. If you don't, try Robert Helzer. I had a 67 inspected by Robert in South San Francisco a few months back. He was recommended to me by the head of judging at the Northern California chapter of the NCRS. He did a nice job and is familiar with NCRS standards, and his rate was very reasonable. He prepares 63-67 corvettes for NCRS and Bloomington judging.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM
JLSmith
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Hopefully, I'll need to use one.

Mike, I'm still planning to come up for the Prescott show. Hope to meet you there.

- Jeff
Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Jeff - Good luck in the search. Gone are the days when all you had to do was just drive 'across town' to see one or more early Vettes for sale. Travel seems to be part of the ritual now. When I bought my 61, I was fortunate enough to get Forum Member John McGraw down in Austin to drive a 100 mile round trip to check it out before I bought the airline ticket. Definitely see you at the Prescott Vette Sette Annual Corvette Show on September 28th. If you're coming up early, there is a get-together the Friday night before, for those registered for the show, at St Michels Hotel right on the Courthouse square and I'll be there too.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 08-29-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone to do a PPI in the Oakland/San Leandro area?

Quick Reply: Anyone to do a PPI in the Oakland/San Leandro area?