C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil Pan Drip

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Oil Pan Drip

Hello All: Last night, when I pulled my car out, I noticed a small pool of fluid on the garage floor (not sure how long it's been accumulating). Tonight, when I got home from work, I crawled underneath to have a look. There was a drip clinging to the drain plug of the oil pan. Okay, it's oil. Drain plug seems tight enough. Checked the dip stick and it showed (cold engine) a level slightly above "Full." So Kerouac's idiotic newbie question of the day is -- can the drips be originating from the top of the pan (due to it being over-filled) and just running down to the drain plug? Below are two pictures. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerouac
Hello All: Last night, when I pulled my car out, I noticed a small pool of fluid on the garage floor (not sure how long it's been accumulating). Tonight, when I got home from work, I crawled underneath to have a look. There was a drip clinging to the drain plug of the oil pan. Okay, it's oil. Drain plug seems tight enough. Checked the dip stick and it showed (cold engine) a level slightly above "Full." So Kerouac's idiotic newbie question of the day is -- can the drips be originating from the top of the pan (due to it being over-filled) and just running down to the drain plug? Below are two pictures. Thanks.

NO...

Tighten/check all pan bolts...

Next time you change the oil put on a new plastic washer on the drain plug...
Old 08-29-2014, 02:46 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Give that drain plug a good pull with a 9/16 wrench.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

That's a interesting oilpan. Very deep, and the drainplug is on the bottom of the pan for Corvette, not like that. Not sure what year you have but based on your avatar a 3 or 4?

I see a line of oil above the drainplug, so it may be the rear pan seal or gaskets, or .........I hate to say it, possibly the rear main seal on the crank.

Wipe the rear of the pan and around the plug. Run the engine to temp for a while and try to see where it's coming from. Also check the block sides at the rear, as it may be coming from rear intake manifold to block seal or valve cover gaskets.

BTW, that pic of the oil on the floor looks like the floor under the wife's Jag V12 E-Type. On those, if it doesn't drip oil like that, it means there's no oil in it.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

The Oil filter looks brand new, might check to be sure there is only one gasket on the filter. Sometimes the old gasket sticks to the engine and does not come off with the filter. They usually blow out and lose all the oil not long after install. You have quite a bit of oil on the floor. Over filling does not normally cause a leak.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Thanks, Guys

It's been madness at work, so I haven't been able to respond individually. So here's the update: Tried to tighten the plug, but it wasn't having any of that. I had wiped down the area where the drip appeared, and tonight there was no additional oil evident. I guess I'll just keep an eye on things and see what develops. Thanks again -- I appreciate the help.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:54 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
That's a interesting oilpan. Very deep, and the drainplug is on the bottom of the pan for Corvette, not like that. Not sure what year you have but based on your avatar a 3 or 4?
FYI That's the same oil pan my 64 365hp car has or at least the back end of it is. 5 quart no room for power steering pan.

Steve
Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
FYI That's the same oil pan my 64 365hp car has or at least the back end of it is. 5 quart no room for power steering pan.

Steve
Thanks for clarifying that. Good info to know.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Drip

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Drip