C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 parking light question.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 101 Posts

Default 1966 parking light question.....

My front parking lights go off when I turn my headlights on. Is that normal? (seems odd to me if it is) I also did my first night drive tonight and saw that I have no dash lights. Of course, my first choice will be to look at the fuse. (but, I do wonder if it's somehow related to that parking light situation)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The parking lights are working normal. But if you have no dash lights that also means no tail lights Check the fuses. Then check the bulbs
Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Parking lights go off when headlights come on is normal operating proceedure on a '66. They can be modified to stay on with the headlights however. Remember this was 1966.

Dennis
Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,045 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Parking lights do go off with head lights on.

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
My front parking lights go off when I turn my headlights on. Is that normal? (seems odd to me if it is) I also did my first night drive tonight and saw that I have no dash lights. Of course, my first choice will be to look at the fuse. (but, I do wonder if it's somehow related to that parking light situation)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Check the rotation of the headlight switch. If it's turned down, you won't have any dash lights. If EITHER of the two fuses, inst lamps or tailights (second and third from bottom) blow, you'll lose dash lights. If the tail lamp fuse blows, you'll lose tail lights also. As said, your park lights are operating normally. Check first the rotation of the headlight switch to be sure it isn't rotated to the fully dim position, and secondly, check your two fuses mentioned.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The parking lights are working normal. But if you have no dash lights that also means no tail lights Check the fuses. Then check the bulbs
I have no dash lights, but I DO have tail lights. I can't imagine that all of the dash bulbs are out....I will, of course, check the fuse asap.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Check the rotation of the headlight switch. If it's turned down, you won't have any dash lights. If EITHER of the two fuses, inst lamps or tailights (second and third from bottom) blow, you'll lose dash lights. If the tail lamp fuse blows, you'll lose tail lights also. As said, your park lights are operating normally. Check first the rotation of the headlight switch to be sure it isn't rotated to the fully dim position, and secondly, check your two fuses mentioned.
The first thing I checked was the headlight switch. It is rotated just shy of turning on the interior lights, so that should be max brightness on the dash lights. I'll check the fuses, of course, asap.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
The first thing I checked was the headlight switch. It is rotated just shy of turning on the interior lights, so that should be max brightness on the dash lights. I'll check the fuses, of course, asap.
Then if your tail lights are ok, the only fuse to affect it would be the 4a inst fuse, third from bottom. Several have had to increase it to a 5a fuse because from the factory, 4a is very close to the normal draw of the dash lamps. You could also have a defective wiper in the dash dimmer on the headlight switch, or a broken or disconnected wire.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default 66

As others have said, it is normal for the parking lights to go out when the headlights go on. I changed mine to stay on when the headlights are on. I removed the switch and moved one wire to feed power to both the parking and main lights at the same time. Do a search for the wiring switch. Once the switch is out, the change takes a few minutes and is reversible. If you can't find it, I will look for it in my records. Regarding your dash lights, if all of the above checks out, see if you have a good ground to the dash. Test by bringing a clean ground wire from the battery to the dash. If the lights work, you have a poor or dirty ground connection. Jerry
Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 AM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Thanks for all the good info. This is what I love about the forum!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Concept Cars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 66 Parking lights on with headlights

hi Jerry,
My 66 Corvette parking lights stay on while the headlights are on. I imagine some prior owner made the hopefully reversible modification you describe. I'm planning to have my car judged at an NCRS meeting and I know the parking lights should turn off when the headlights are on. Could you please share your diagram.
Thank you, Jeff

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
As others have said, it is normal for the parking lights to go out when the headlights go on. I changed mine to stay on when the headlights are on. I removed the switch and moved one wire to feed power to both the parking and main lights at the same time. Do a search for the wiring switch. Once the switch is out, the change takes a few minutes and is reversible. If you can't find it, I will look for it in my records. Regarding your dash lights, if all of the above checks out, see if you have a good ground to the dash. Test by bringing a clean ground wire from the battery to the dash. If the lights work, you have a poor or dirty ground connection. Jerry
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Lights

Jeff: I have to check my notes. I do remember that I relocated the purple wire in the light switch to another position. You have to take the switch out. If you don't get a response today, I will check my records and get back to you. I know I read the posting here about the change a few years ago. Jerry
Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Vipervetteguy. What finally came of this. Did you figure it out?

I had the exact same question and found this thread.

Now I know the parking lights should go out when headlights are turned on but I got no dash lights. Also if I rotate the switch all the way to turn on interior lights they do not come on. Interior lights do however come on when door is opened.

Any indeas on that?

Last edited by donbayers; 06-22-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, BUT, running lights do NOT turn off when head lights are on. At least back to 63 and no before that!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 6D2148; 06-22-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 6D2148
If I'm wrong I'm wrong, BUT, running lights do NOT turn off when head lights are on. At least back to 63 and no before that!!!!!!!!!!
I have the 66 judging guide in my lap. It specifically states that the front parking lights go out when headlights are turned on. It does state that the rear red tail lights stay on.

No logical reason to set it up that way IMHO but guess they had some reasoning for it
Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Sorry but you are wrong... The parking lights turn off when the headlights are on unless some one changed the factory wiring setup... It only requires moving one wire to do it...

Hitch
Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by donbayers
I have the 66 judging guide in my lap. It specifically states that the front parking lights go out when headlights are turned on. It does state that the rear red tail lights stay on.

No logical reason to set it up that way IMHO but guess they had some reasoning for it
If the corvette was that way,so be it . But the rest of the car world was not. In September of 62, I could tell the new 63's at night by the new amber FRONT running lights! Chip

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 parking light question.....

Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

If the corvette was that way,so be it . But the rest of the car world was not. In September of 62, I could tell the new 63's at night by the new amber FRONT running lights! Chip
Yep all the way at least until 67 they were this way...

Hitch
Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

the most logical reason for them to go out when headlights are on is because they are parking lights. Not driving lights.
As said in much earlier post, we are talking the 60s. Thinking was different back then about lots of things, including lighting on cars.
Today cars need to look like fully trimmed out Christmas trees when driving. Back in the 60s, people didn't see any need for that, and cars were not built that way. If I recall, your owners manual describes it.

As John Z likes to say, check your owners manual. Page 17 of the 65 guide says pull switch to first stop for parking and brake lights, and all out to substitute headlights for parking lights. I would guess the 66 guide says the same.

Last edited by 65hihp; 06-22-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 AM
skip57
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As sean over the last 4 decades DOT has loaded cars down with FREDS (F--- Ridicules Electrical Devices) When the parking lights are off the turn signal is quite prominent so on coming drivers can see your intensions. (IE. third brake light to get stupids attention that your stopping)

[QUOTE=65hihp;1589896399]the most logical reason for them to go out when headlights are on is because they are parking lights. Not driving lights.

Quick Reply: 1966 parking light question.....