C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fumes Update (Hello Gary's66 and vet65te!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fumes Update (Hello Gary's66 and vet65te!)

Many of you helped me try to figure out the source of the "fumes" in my 1965 Coupe (327/365 L76). The gentlemen named in the title of this post have directed me to the replacement of the gasket between the filler neck and the tank. I ordered -- and have just received -- the replacement parts and am ready to do this tomorrow.
Gary's66 and vet65te had a lot of good tips about this procedure. Anybody got some others?
Here's what I have: I have a new vented gas cap, I have a new rubber tank boot, I have the correct gasket, I have tools, and I have the desire to do this correctly. Anybody want to weigh in? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:53 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

To keep the bolts/screws in the socket, put some putty in the socket...

When you go to stretch the boot on the neck...make sure the boot is warm so it don't tear..

Don't use silicone on gasket...

Take your time when cleaning off old gasket material, use duct tape... and put on edge of opening vertical so stuff don't fall in tank OR you can put duct tape on from inside with sticky side up except last piece which will go sticky side down to catch material....use duct tape to pick off/up old material....make sure all the clean up is done and then remove tape...CAREFULLY....DON'T DROP IN TANK...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I had difficulty getting a good seal between my original filler and my new tank with one gasket. I ended up with two gaskets for more compressability and I used a little permatex #2 for good measure to seal every thing up. Maybe 2 gaskets won't be necessary on yours, but I would use a little gas resistant sealer for good measure.

The putty or bit of 3M strip caulk in the socket to hold the screws is a good tip. Don't want to drop one of those little buggers.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 AM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

with all above and would also mark the tank and neck holes to mate them back together.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Good timing. I just filled the car yesterday and smelled fumes after. Checked under the boot and the neck was wet. Guess my gasket is gone too. Any recommended source for the gasket? Can I do this from the top?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

BC - Any of our supporting vendors will be able to provide the cork gasket.. You might want to try to snug up the small machine screws first before you pull the filler neck. They may be a bit loose due to the cork shrinking with age. Try to tighten them up first, if the fume smell persists, then time for the new gasket. And to answer your other question, installing the new gasket with the filler neck will be done from 'on top'.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 09-12-2014, 03:05 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Hi Kerouac,

All of the above are good suggestions. All I would add is to flatten any holes in the neck that have been pulled down (kinda like you do for valve covers) and as for any pieces of the old gasket falling into the tank, l filled it pretty full so I could skim out the few pieces that did fall in with a small fish tank net. My net was a little bigger than the neck hole so I formed it to fit prior to removal. Be sure to remove the door AND bezel before pulling off the old boot. That'll give you a bit more room plus the boot won't get snagged on the bezel lip. Lastly, like I said before, it was easiest for me to start all the screws into the cork gasket a few turns then carefully put the neck in place and use a nut driver with an extension, instead of trying to put each screw in one at a time. It's an easy repair just take your time and don't have too many beers until AFTER you're done! Good luck

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Fumes Update (Hello Gary's66 and vet65te!)

Quick Reply: Fumes Update (Hello Gary's66 and vet65te!)