C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery drain

Would there be any advice where to start ? Battery drained to the point engine wouldn't turn over after two weeks. New battery. Looks like my battery tender broke down as well.
My emergency brake when on the light flashes ? Only other is a quartz clock. The left turn signal light seems brighter than the others maybe a ground issue? Thanks for any starting point wiring isn't my strong point but willing to learn.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The parking light flasher should only work with the key on.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe bad diode in alternator?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You could have a weak battery that won't hold a charge. I'd have it load tested at an auto parts store.

If you have a 64 as your name implies:

Here are some things that get power with the ignition off.
Clock (properly working quartz shouldn't run battery down)
Cig lighter
Glove box light
Brake lights
Headlight switch
Courtesy lights
Power Windows
Alternator

I would go about it in this way. Look at your car in the dark. Verify that the courtesy lights are going off with the door closed. Verify that the glove box light isn't staying on.

Disconnect the negative battery cable and connect an ammeter between the cable and the battery post. If you don't have access to an ammeter, you can buy one at Harbor Freight for 10 bucks, or they have a coupon for a free one right now. You can also connect a test light instead, but you'll have to judge current draw by the brightness of the light. The clock will draw a little Then, I'd disconnect the alternator and see if the draw goes away. If so, you could have a leaky diode in the bridge circuit of the alternator (fairly common). If you still have too much draw, I'd start pulling fuses and see when it goes away. Most of the fuses work through the ignition, so unless you're leaving the ignition on or in acc those circuits won't cause what you have. The bottom fuse is for the brake lights and courtesy lights and has power all the time.

The three most likely cause in your case of taking 2 weeks:

1. Weak battery
2. Light staying on (glove box, courtesy, etc)
3. Defective diode in alternator
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I found that an after market radio memory plus the original clock would run the battery down in a few weeks on my '64. I now keep battery disconnected.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You could have a weak battery that won't hold a charge. I'd have it load tested at an auto parts store.

If you have a 64 as your name implies:

Here are some things that get power with the ignition off.
Clock (properly working quartz shouldn't run battery down)
Cig lighter
Glove box light
Brake lights
Headlight switchgh
Courtesy lights
Power Windows
Alternator

I would go about it in this way. Look at your car in the dark. Verify that the courtesy lights are going off with the door closed. Verify that the glove box light isn't staying on.

Disconnect the negative battery cable and connect an ammeter between the cable and the battery post. If you don't have access to an ammeter, you can buy one at Harbor Freight for 10 bucks, or they have a coupon for a free one right now. You can also connect a test light instead, but you'll have to judge current draw by the brightness of the light. The clock will draw a little Then, I'd disconnect the alternator and see if the draw goes away. If so, you could have a leaky diode in the bridge circuit of the alternator (fairly common). If you still have too much draw, I'd start pulling fuses and see when it goes away. Most of the fuses work through the ignition, so unless you're leaving the ignition on or in acc those circuits won't cause what you have. The bottom fuse is for the brake lights and courtesy lights and has power all the time.

The three most likely cause in your case of taking 2 weeks:

1. Weak battery
2. Light staying on (glove box, courtesy, etc)
3. Defective diode in alternator
Thanks will start with what you suggest. Alternator 6 months old.
Will check position of key as it moves . Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 09:43 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wayne1964
Thanks will start with what you suggest. Alternator 6 months old.
Will check position of key as it moves . Thanks
Did the battery drain start with the new alternator? Did you change the alternator because the battery wasn't charging? Have you load tested the battery?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Did the battery drain start with the new alternator? Did you change the alternator because the battery wasn't charging? Have you load tested the battery?
Alt. replaced because of worn bushing. Wanted to go with one wire.
Large electric fan.
Charges great battery was load tested ok. This has been an on going problem. I did change the frame when I did a body off 3 years ago.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Well the glove box light was on. Thanks will look to see if there are any adjustments to light
Old 09-02-2014, 02:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wayne1964
Well the glove box light was on. Thanks will look to see if there are any adjustments to light
Loosen the two Phillips screws in the catch at the top of the glove box liner and move it slightly toward the front of the car. If you move too far, the lid won't stay up, or will fall when you hit a bump.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain

Quick Reply: Battery drain