C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

VBP Rear Sway Bar Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Gangle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VBP Rear Sway Bar Info

All,

Does anybody have directions on install. I would like to know if there are any measurements I would also like to know if it is best with the body on or off. Does the car have to be on the wheels sitting flat?

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

It's been years but I put one on mine. Car was jacked up to install brackets on trailing arms and mounting the sway bar to the frame but lowered before connecting links. BTW, I took it off after a few years along with the matching front bar because I found no improvement in handling but a definite added harshness to the ride. To be fair, I had also gone to poly control arm bushings and on the ends of the leaf spring. I drive aggressively, pushing it hard any chance I get but I do not race and that's probably the only place the difference would be advantageous. I have added rear sway bars to just about every car and truck I've owned since the mid sixties but this time it wasn't worth it. YMMV
Old 08-30-2014, 08:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Gangle
All,

Does anybody have directions on install. I would like to know if there are any measurements I would also like to know if it is best with the body on or off. Does the car have to be on the wheels sitting flat?

Thanks
Tom
Are you also adding a larger front bar?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:33 AM
Gangle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

John

Larger sway bar installed.

The rear one is connected to the trailing arms just double checking to see what the best application is before I drill and tap into the frame.

seeing light at the end of the tunnel
Old 08-31-2014, 07:09 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About drilling the frame... If your frame is 65 or newer, I'd be real surprised if the bar did not use the factory mounting points already on the frame. If you're 63/64, I have a couple of photos that can help.

Harry
Old 08-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Gangle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66since71
About drilling the frame... If your frame is 65 or newer, I'd be real surprised if the bar did not use the factory mounting points already on the frame. If you're 63/64, I have a couple of photos that can help.

Harry
Harry,

Thanks for responding

I have a 64 coupe . I would appreciate any pics . I am pretty sure it is straight forward , I am just not sure whether there needs to be exact placement that will effect the drive.

Thanks Again
Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gangle
Harry,

Thanks for responding

I have a 64 coupe . I would appreciate any pics . I am pretty sure it is straight forward , I am just not sure whether there needs to be exact placement that will effect the drive.

Thanks Again
Try this link to a previous discussion where I posted the pic and dimensions
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-a-64-a.html

If the bar uses the OEM linkage or similar, placement needs to be right to prevent the linkage from going "over center" at full down suspension travel For linkage that mimics the front, also look out for bind at the limits.

Hope this helps
Harry

Last edited by 66since71; 08-31-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To VBP Rear Sway Bar Info

Quick Reply: VBP Rear Sway Bar Info