C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

They are going to fill up the Sinkhole...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Default They are going to fill up the Sinkhole...

I guess once you've seen one hole, you've seen them all...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GV01420140831
Old 08-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

IMO, it needs to be filled and then put the cars back in the spots where they were when they fell in and show the videos of them falling in and the retrieval process.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default No!

I want the Corvettes from hell display to go there! Some cars with flame paint jobs and maybe a few that should just be sent to hell with their bad taste Owners!

Hey other museums have basement collections!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Thank goodness. A hole in the middle of a museum just ain't right, unless it's a spelunking museum.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:19 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
Thank goodness. A hole in the middle of a museum just ain't right, unless it's a spelunking museum.
Or a doughnut museum.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:01 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 66jack
I guess once you've seen one hole, you've seen them all...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GV01420140831
I agree. We were at the NCM last month. It really is just a hole now that the cars are out of it. But, I'm from FL where cars and houses are swallowed up on a regular basis and where people are swallowed up by sinkholes and never recovered so it's hard to impress me with this sinkhole.

I think it would be a lot more interesting if the cars were still in the hole but I'm glad they didn't do that.

Filling the hole, restoring the cars that can be restored, and displaying all 8 with photos and videos is a good way to go, I think.

-- Steve
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I feel that, overall, they made the correct decision. While it certainly won't please everyone, that was never going to happen anyway no matter what decision was reached. The Board's primary concern had to be the long-term financial well being of the NCM, while weighing the historical significance of the sinkhole event. I think that a display of some of the more badly damaged cars commemorates the event and demonstrates the power and destructive force it wielded, while restoring the cars that can be realistically restored fulfills the museum's desire to return to normalcy and maintain the integrity of the collection as much as is practical. The building itself must take precedence in any future plans as well, and the safety and stability of the main structure are paramount. A "display sinkhole" never made a lot of sense to me, and the description of what such a display would end up looking like only confirms my beliefs.

So, good job by the NCM Board, and let's move forward.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
I feel that, overall, they made the correct decision. While it certainly won't please everyone, that was never going to happen anyway no matter what decision was reached. The Board's primary concern had to be the long-term financial well being of the NCM, while weighing the historical significance of the sinkhole event. I think that a display of some of the more badly damaged cars commemorates the event and demonstrates the power and destructive force it wielded, while restoring the cars that can be realistically restored fulfills the museum's desire to return to normalcy and maintain the integrity of the collection as much as is practical. The building itself must take precedence in any future plans as well, and the safety and stability of the main structure are paramount. A "display sinkhole" never made a lot of sense to me, and the description of what such a display would end up looking like only confirms my beliefs.

So, good job by the NCM Board, and let's move forward.

Very well said.

Mike
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

They have made the right decision. Spending money on the hole takes away from other elements of the museum and puts an increased financial burden on it also. Dennis
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Good call by the Board - people come to the museum to see historic Corvettes, not a big hole in the floor; from my spot on the dome wall, I got tired of looking at the sinkhole anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Good call by the Board - people come to the museum to see historic Corvettes, not a big hole in the floor; from my spot on the dome wall, I got tired of looking at the sinkhole anyway.
Hey John, after all the advice and help you've been kind enough to give me over the last few years, I always thought it would be nice to one day meet you, and now, after seeing your big picture posted here, I feel I sort of have.....

That's a nice and well deserved honor you have there...congratulations....

But, you know how you kind of get a picture in your mind of how someone might look?.....I have to say you look nothing like I imagined..(that's not a critique in any way.....ha ha) just one of life's silly observations....

So anyway, Nice to have finally, sort of met you....

Regards,
Mark
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Yup, that be John Z... The tie kinda threw me for a second, but that grin brough me right back to reality.

Thanks for posting that John, it made my day.

tc
Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

What's the "Z" for? It's always made me think of John (Zachary) DeLorean and the many GOOD things he accomplished at GM before his midlife crisis tumbled out of control.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by project63
Yup, that be John Z... The tie kinda threw me for a second, but that grin brough me right back to reality.

Thanks for posting that John, it made my day.

tc
The tie threw most of us Hall-Of-Famers too - someone at the museum decided at the last minute in 2009 to add a dress shirt and tie to every dome portrait photo that didn't have one, and most of us hadn't worn a tie for 20 years . Photo below is the one they added the shirt and tie to.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sub006
What's the "Z" for? It's always made me think of John (Zachary) DeLorean and the many GOOD things he accomplished at GM before his midlife crisis tumbled out of control.
When I was picking a username, the first few initials I tried after "John" were already taken, so I just went to the end of the alphabet and tried "Z", and it worked.

Oddly enough, I knew John DeLorean when he was the Chevrolet Division General Manager, and his younger brother George about ten years earlier when he showed up every Friday night on Woodward with a lightweight Pontiac Catalina 2-door post with an all-aluminum front end and bumpers and a 421 Super Duty with McKellar's latest "cam of the week".
Old 09-01-2014, 04:07 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Looking Good John!

Thank you for all of your technical help with our beloved "Mid-Year" Vettes.

They are truly "time machines" that keep us young.

Get notified of new replies

To They are going to fill up the Sinkhole...

Quick Reply: They are going to fill up the Sinkhole...