C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Por15 chassis coat black

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:32 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Por15 chassis coat black

Just recently purchased a can of chassis coat black (aerosol) by por 15.
Painted a few small parts and was very impressed. The paint is very durable and has a very nice satin finish.

I'm almost ready to start painting the engine compartment on my 58, Im using SEM for the firewall and inner fender and Por 15 for the frame with a top coat of the chassis coat black but I started thinking do I really need the Por15 as a base? I have no rust issues and the chassis coat black is very durable?

Last edited by wilbur; 08-31-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If the POR15 is any thing like I used I would throw it away
Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

POR15 is a rust converter, so if you don't have any to convert I wouldn't bother. You should use a primer of some sort though.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Sorry guys but have a lot of experience with POR-15 and it is not a rust converter. It is a neutralized rust encapsulater. The key being that you need to remove as much rust as you can and then phosphate wash the metal to neutralize it first and then apply the POR-15. Now to the OP's question I would not use POR-15 as a base for further painting as that is not what it is for. A self etching primer is the correct coating if you do not have rust issues once the metal is exposed. POR-15 will encapsulate old paint pretty well but the surface needs to be sanded well to make it look good.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:33 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default phosphate wash

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Sorry guys but have a lot of experience with POR-15 and it is not a rust converter. It is a neutralized rust encapsulater. The key being that you need to remove as much rust as you can and then phosphate wash the metal to neutralize it first and then apply the POR-15. Now to the OP's question I would not use POR-15 as a base for further painting as that is not what it is for. A self etching primer is the correct coating if you do not have rust issues once the metal is exposed. POR-15 will encapsulate old paint pretty well but the surface needs to be sanded well to make it look good.
I agree with racer. I inquired before buying POR15, because this discussion has come up before. It was recommended to use a phosphate wash as soon after exposing bare metal like sandblasting. After cleaning the frame with reducer and waiting for an hour in the 90deg. sunlight, I sprayed the phosphate on the frame, I could see the chemical reaction in the metal it turned whitish very thin as it dried. Let it cook for another hour in the sun. I then covered the frame with the POR15, there are lots of nooks and crannies in the frame. Best to have good light and 2 coats is better than 1(also recommended). The next day I applied a 2nd coat after letting it heat up. Being black, this time it got hotter. I then sprayed the frame with Eastwood extreme chassis black. I had heard that POR15 fades in sunlight. Happy to report still looks like the day I did it. Has some dust.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:57 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

The part I painted yesterday with the aerosol por 15 chassis coat dried rock hard.
I tried to scratch it off with my finger, no way! Perrsonally I think this paint is great.
I'll pick up some por15 self etching primer for my frame.
Thanks !
Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
The part I painted yesterday with the aerosol por 15 chassis coat dried rock hard.
I tried to scratch it off with my finger, no way! Perrsonally I think this paint is great.
I'll pick up some por15 self etching primer for my frame.
Thanks !
I'm not familar wih POR15 chassis black - is this differernt from their standard gloss and semi-flat black? Their standard black products do fade and weather over time if not top-coated. I wonder what they say about the chassis black?

But - all things being equal I think I would use the Eastwood Chassis Black instead.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Their chassis coat black is a top coat and says it will not fade with exposure to the sun.

Get notified of new replies

To Por15 chassis coat black

Quick Reply: Por15 chassis coat black