C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Better pump for Borgeson install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Nitrous 74
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Better pump for Borgeson install?

I just got done installing the burgeon steering only to find my original pump leaks. I'm about to order a replacement 66 corvette pump, but was wondering if anyone has found a pump housing that works better for this install?

It would be much better if the return line pointed up and not down.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:30 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous 74
I just got done installing the burgeon steering only to find my original pump leaks. I'm about to order a replacement 66 corvette pump, but was wondering if anyone has found a pump housing that works better for this install?

It would be much better if the return line pointed up and not down.
I just went through this recently.
There are several pump housings with the return line pointing the right way for your steering box.
Mid 60s Pontiac, 3rd gen Camaro and some 60s-70s mopar, which all use the same Saginaw pump.
You can also ask your local plumber to re position the nipple or use an AN fitting.
There are 3 O rings behind two mounting studs and the high pressure fitting, which holds the reservoir to the pump and a large O ring around the pump body, which can leek.
A basic rebuild kit contains all the necessary O rings to repair this, unless your reservoir is cracked or bent.
"Tuff Stuff" is another remanufacturer, which has some other options as well.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Nitrous 74
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks anyChevy!

You know I hand't thought of trying to re-build it. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Might look at converting to a fitting while I have it apart. If not I'll look into the other pumps.

What did you end up going with?

Last edited by Nitrous 74; 08-31-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous 74
What did you end up going with?
I used a Borgeson supplied pump and brackets and because I'm useless with an oxy, I got a plumber friend of mine to re braise the fitting in the right direction, a much cleaner result.

Get notified of new replies

To Better pump for Borgeson install?

Quick Reply: Better pump for Borgeson install?