C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:56 AM
donmccarty
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 Steering

I have a 1958 Corvette and am seriously considering replacing the old original steering with the "Steeroids" rack and pinion assembly. Has anyone with a C1 done this swap?? I am looking for opinion or ideas before I undertake this project. Cost of kit is $2000.00.Thanks for any feedback.

O
Old 09-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Don - Welcome to the Corvette Forum. There's been quite a few threads on the subject of Steeroids and other front suspension/steering mods for solid axle Vettes. Click on the red Search box on the right upper side of the screen and check out the archived posts on the subject.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Don,

Echoing Mike, welcome to CF. Good info here.

While I don't own a C1 with the Steeroids conversion, I've driven one. I found the steering to be overly sensitive. It took near total concentration just to stay in my lane at hiway speeds. The experience was not relaxing.

Admittedly, it's possible the owner did not re-adjust toe-in after the conversion and that the tires were actually toed-out slightly. I don't know. I did share my observations and recommended he have it checked.

Based on this one experience, though, I'd rather have the original steering box in good condition than the Steeroids conversion.

BTW, decades ago I lived in West Columbia. Every time I'm back there I make it a point to go to Maurice's Piggy Park .... best bar-b-que in the nation.

Jim
Old 09-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Don,

While I don't own a C1 with the Steeroids conversion, I've driven one. I found the steering to be overly sensitive. It took near total concentration just to stay in my lane at hiway speeds. The experience was not relaxing.

Admittedly, it's possible the owner did not re-adjust toe-in after the conversion and that the tires were actually toed-out slightly. I don't know. I did share my observations and recommended he have it checked.

Based on this one experience, though, I'd rather have the original steering box in good condition than the Steeroids conversion.

BTW, decades ago I lived in West Columbia. Every time I'm back there I make it a point to go to Maurice's Piggy Park .... best bar-b-que in the nation.

Jim
Jim,

Was that C1 with power steering or manual?

The PS rack & pinion (TCI front end) that WMF62 put in his 62 was very sensitive, until he dialed back the pump output.

If I was to put in a R&P, it would be manual. But my biggest issue with the Steeroids (and similar systems using the Ford R&P) is the need for 3 U-joints to connect the steering column if you have headers (and the column shaft snakes through the headers, not around).

Thanks,
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 09-01-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by donmccarty
I have a 1958 Corvette and am seriously considering replacing the old original steering with the "Steeroids" rack and pinion assembly. Has anyone with a C1 done this swap?? I am looking for opinion or ideas before I undertake this project. Cost of kit is $2000.00.Thanks for any feedback.
O
I built my own ps set up, there are links posted here, I really like it.
for me it really improved my enjoyment of the car. I have had my 1961 car for nearly 36 years.
Very quick and precise steering, you can drive it like a rental car. The old system probably seems like a crappy 49 chevy because it is! These days we just arent used to driving and parking non ps cars.

America is not the wide open place it once was, we were used to not trying to move the wheel unless the car was rolling, parking was more like docking. Just a preference but in todays modern cities, small spaces, small cars, congested streets, I just like it. The steeroids deal looks well done. Search around a little and tell us what you think.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Jim,

Was that C1 with power steering or manual?

The PS rack & pinion (TCI front end) that WMF62 put in his 62 was very sensitive, until he dialed back the pump output.

If I was to put in a R&P, it would be manual. But my biggest issue with the Steeroids (and similar systems using the Ford R&P) is the need for 3 U-joints to connect the steering column if you have headers (and the column shaft snakes through the headers, not around).

Thanks,
Plasticman

John,

The car had power steering. As I drove, I tried to separate out the sensitivity of the PS servo from just a general twitchy nature. I'm pretty convinced it wasn't PS sensitivity. The car simply would NOT go straight.

Regarding Bill's PS sensitivity, I'm curious.... why not replace the spring in the servo with a stronger spring to reduce sensitivity? Restricting pump output strikes me as the wrong way to go.

You are a EE, aren't you? Let me make an analogy: That pump, being a positive displacement pump, is a "current source", the instantaneous current flow is a function of engine speed. Add flow "resistance" and the "current source" output "Voltage" is going to rise to whatever value is necessary to maintain "current" flow. I'd expect that it's possible for the "Voltage" to rise high enough to break down the "insulation".

In English, if pump flow is restricted, internal pump pressure could rise and burst the pump (or whatever is upstream of the restriction).

Or I could be all wet.....

Jim
Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

John,

The car had power steering. As I drove, I tried to separate out the sensitivity of the PS servo from just a general twitchy nature. I'm pretty convinced it wasn't PS sensitivity. The car simply would NOT go straight.

Regarding Bill's PS sensitivity, I'm curious.... why not replace the spring in the servo with a stronger spring to reduce sensitivity? Restricting pump output strikes me as the wrong way to go.

You are a EE, aren't you? Let me make an analogy: That pump, being a positive displacement pump, is a "current source", the instantaneous current flow is a function of engine speed. Add flow "resistance" and the "current source" output "Voltage" is going to rise to whatever value is necessary to maintain "current" flow. I'd expect that it's possible for the "Voltage" to rise high enough to break down the "insulation".

In English, if pump flow is restricted, internal pump pressure could rise and burst the pump (or whatever is upstream of the restriction).

Or I could be all wet.....

Jim
Jim,

I agree with what you are saying, but it was a question at the time of "What did other guys do?", and try that.

Bill is off on another of his trips, and I cannot remember exactly what he finally did to the pump.....but I know he did use some restrictors and perhaps a spring in the pump output at one point.

Sounds to me like you nailed it with being an alignment issue on that C1.......

Thanks,
John
Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

Don,

Jim
I admittedly don't know anything about the Steeroids conversion, but I want to echo Jim's comment about toe-in/toe-out and twitchy steering. I road race a Honda Civic, and to improve turn-in, a small amount of front toe-out is set up (3mm). This tiny adjustment dramatically makes turn-in wicked fast, but also makes an otherwise nose heavy FWD car VERY twitchy to steering response at speed (but hey, we're supposed to be paying attention while wheel-to-wheel racing, right?!). The take-home message is that if you have issues with a nose heavy car like a Vette at speed, no matter stock or aftermarket steering, a seeming tiny alignment change can make a huge difference.

Marc in Indy

Last edited by 128racecar; 09-03-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Steering

Quick Reply: C1 Steering