C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spot Touching Up Painted Area Around Shifter on my 65' Red Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spot Touching Up Painted Area Around Shifter on my 65' Red Corvette

I tried looking at old posts on this subject but most were early '70's cars. The red area around the shifter on my 65' Corvette has some spots where the silver is showing through. Seems to be a little more showing than when I purchased the car. I know it won't match perfect unless I totally strip and repaint the whole area. It's the area around where the shift pattern in labeled. Thinking if I don't use a spray and a tiny brush, I can spot touch it up. Problem is, where to find this paint. Not shown on Ecklers…they have spray and exterior paint and not sure if that exterior would be a close enough match. Or, my other thought is to just leave it alone and realize that it's a 50 year old car and it's not a big deal
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by bondguy
I tried looking at old posts on this subject but most were early '70's cars. The red area around the shifter on my 65' Corvette has some spots where the silver is showing through. Seems to be a little more showing than when I purchased the car. I know it won't match perfect unless I totally strip and repaint the whole area. It's the area around where the shift pattern in labeled. Thinking if I don't use a spray and a tiny brush, I can spot touch it up. Problem is, where to find this paint. Not shown on Ecklers…they have spray and exterior paint and not sure if that exterior would be a close enough match. Or, my other thought is to just leave it alone and realize that it's a 50 year old car and it's not a big deal
It's 50 years old. That said, if you want to do it right, remove the console trim plate and strip/mask/prime/paint it off the car.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default paint

I had my console re done and also they supplied 12oz spray can of their color...mine was blk.... so a search for console restoration and then get some and try the touch up or....mask and paint the colored areas....when I re did mine i took 20 min to mask and was easy project

Originally Posted by JohnZ
It's 50 years old. That said, if you want to do it right, remove the console trim plate and strip/mask/prime/paint it off the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Spot Touching Up Painted Area Around Shifter on my 65' Red Corvette

Quick Reply: Spot Touching Up Painted Area Around Shifter on my 65' Red Corvette