C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Restomods: Ricks Tanks Venting??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default C1 Restomods: Ricks Tanks Venting??

If you have a C1 Corvette Restomod with an in tank pump.
If you are using one Of Ricks SS Tanks.

I am using an LS2 engine with the regulated fuel filter and an in-tank fuel pump.

How are you venting these tanks?
What gas cap are you using?

I am having issues with the normal vent hose, running the hose out and hanging down below the frame.
An occasional drip and the telltale gas odor.

Could this venting also be causing the engine to suddenly shut off with. No codes? The LS2 will start right up again.

I went to Ricks website and they must be aware of this problem, cause they are now partering with someone called ventworx.
Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 07:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I seriously doubt that having an open vent hose to atmosphere is causing your engine to shut off. More like air getting in the fuel or getting hot if your fuel line up at the engine is near a heat source. With the engine starting right up again..I doubt that this is an issue.

Not that it is the same ..but quite similar. I just completed installing a C5 charcoal canister, purge solenoid and vent solenoid in a 1967 resto-mod due to fuel smell. And it had a hose that vented out with nothing on it and a very little fuel would get out. The tank that was in it is from another manufacturer and has the 'roll-over' valve in it. When I got done...the engine...when running and off of idle would open the purge solenoid and allow vapors to be burned and not effect the fuel trim at idle...and when shut off...NO fuel smells are present. I had to run a new vapor line on the frame so the body was lifted....along with many other 'things' I had to do to get it working.

The fuel cap allows air to be drawn into the fuel tank....but NOT allow air to vent out the cap.

When is the engine shutting off??? While idling??? under acceleration??? or coming to a panic stop? Or all of the above.

DUB
Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 PM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 65, I can blow air through from the inside of the original cap outward.
My LS2 in my 1960, at running temp, when idling, it will begin to run down and shut off, but start right up with no codes. The other day I took it for a short drive and I felt like it wanted to shut down again while I was driving it. I simply put my foot into it the accelerator, and that stopped it.
I bought one of those locking gas caps from CC. Recently, when opening this cap, I heard air escape. Why was there air movement. The tank is vented and so is this cap suppose to be vented.
Ricks Tanks for this car has the vent in a recessed pocket with the pump and sender. If one was to overfill the tank, then it would be possible to flood the vent.
Thanks
Originally Posted by DUB
I seriously doubt that having an open vent hose to atmosphere is causing your engine to shut off. More like air getting in the fuel or getting hot if your fuel line up at the engine is near a heat source. With the engine starting right up again..I doubt that this is an issue.

Not that it is the same ..but quite similar. I just completed installing a C5 charcoal canister, purge solenoid and vent solenoid in a 1967 resto-mod due to fuel smell. And it had a hose that vented out with nothing on it and a very little fuel would get out. The tank that was in it is from another manufacturer and has the 'roll-over' valve in it. When I got done...the engine...when running and off of idle would open the purge solenoid and allow vapors to be burned and not effect the fuel trim at idle...and when shut off...NO fuel smells are present. I had to run a new vapor line on the frame so the body was lifted....along with many other 'things' I had to do to get it working.

The fuel cap allows air to be drawn into the fuel tank....but NOT allow air to vent out the cap.

When is the engine shutting off??? While idling??? under acceleration??? or coming to a panic stop? Or all of the above.

DUB
Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I prefer to have fuel caps that allow air to be sucked into the tank....but NOT blow out the cap.

AS for your vent hose. It has EVERYTHING to do with how it is mounted/positioned. When I did the EVAP system on that 67...I bent a 1/4" stainless steel hard line and made it so that IF any fuel got sucked up into this line...that the fuel would go back into the tank due to gravity and how I installed this line.

When you pulled the locking gas cap and heard air...I do not know what to say about that. If the vent hose is free and NOT CLOGGED..this should not have done that...especially if you are not full with fuel.

You might need to have the parameters checked out...fuel trim, O2 sensors, etc...and also fuel pressure. Reason being...just because you have no codes does not mean that you do not have a problem.

DUB
Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I use a vented cap, and the normal tank top vent line.

Do you have a a fuel recirc loop through the engine compartment?

bad idea if you do, it really heats up the gasoline in the tank.

Doug
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

last year i burnt up my intake pump. a couple of times there was pressure behind the
cap when i opened it up to refill. my fault. jim

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Restomods: Ricks Tanks Venting??

Quick Reply: C1 Restomods: Ricks Tanks Venting??