C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'63 brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Default '63 brake lights

Well I've tinkered with my brake lights and still not working. Checked the brake switch and it is working, changed the turn signal switch, all new bulbs, and still no brake lights. If I manually jump the hot from the brake pedal switch to the pink or purple leads at the turn signal switch, tester lights up. That should mean the circuit is complete right? But brakes still don't come on. I've checked everything I can think of, right down to changing the fuse, but still no brake lights. Any ideas? Starting to lose patience!

Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael A Riley
Well I've tinkered with my brake lights and still not working. Checked the brake switch and it is working, changed the turn signal switch, all new bulbs, and still no brake lights. If I manually jump the hot from the brake pedal switch to the pink or purple leads at the turn signal switch, tester lights up. That should mean the circuit is complete right? But brakes still don't come on. I've checked everything I can think of, right down to changing the fuse, but still no brake lights. Any ideas? Starting to lose patience!

Thanks

Update: I read another post about the prongs in the fuse box being too rusty and the circuit passing test with a tester, but not actually to make the lights come on. So, I disconnected the battery, used a flathead screwdriver to scratch around the prongs, popped the fuse back in, and still nothing. However, now when I jump a wire from the fuse to the pink or purple prong on the brake light connector, they work
Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:14 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

That's confusing to me, power has to run through the fuse box before it gets to the brake light switch and the turn signal switch. Have you verified the grounds on the bulb sockets.

Try running a remote ground from a known good ground to the light housing and see if one lights up.

Have you taken a test light to the socket to see if power is going back.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Check your 'rear harness' plug under the dash, should be just above the hood release attached to horizontal frame of dash....see if power is making it that far first...
Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Paladin62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same issue with my 62. I have two problem solutions. First the turn indicator has to be in the center position (not turning left or right) sometime it does not cancel to the center position and that will defeat the stop lights. Second there is a black four wire electrical connector just to the left of the steering column (on my 62). Check for continuity there. I got my lights to work by giggling the wires at that connector. (couldn't figure out how to get the wires out)
Old 10-10-2014, 03:40 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I have also had my goofy turn signal interfere with the operation of my brake lights on my '63. You might look there.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Paladin62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I cut that four wire connector out, does anyone have the secret to getting the wires out?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

I really don't know if I just lucked out, or if this is what fixed my brake lights, but I had tried everything I could thing of: checking for loose connectors, checking grounds, jiggling connectors and wires, all new bulbs, dismantling and reassembling steering wheel, new turn signal switch (which is under the dash on '63, not in steering column so I discovered)....but none of that worked. Finally one day for kicks I pulled the connectors at the back of the fuse box, inside the engine bay on firewall. Cleaned the connectors (really just kinda scraped at them with a flat screwdriver and wire brush), plugged back in, and everything worked. Again I'm not sure if there was just a bad connection or if that even had anything to do with it...but for now my '63 brake lights and turn signals are working just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To '63 brake lights

Quick Reply: '63 brake lights