C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 side pipe cover will not stay on??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:01 AM
bulldog90
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 67 side pipe cover will not stay on??

I am sure others have dealt with this. I have a 67 that has aftermarket headers and original pipes and covers. Pipes were modified to connect into headers and work great. Issue is side pipe cover on passenger side. Anytime I hit a good bump it slides right off the c clips are simply not enough to hold in place. I hope others have encountered the same problem.

Help
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

C clips on side pipe covers? The covers are bolted at the rear via a bracket and screwed onto the front inner fender, then screws all along the length of the body under the door. I don't understand sir.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterDave
C clips on side pipe covers? The covers are bolted at the rear via a bracket and screwed onto the front inner fender, then screws all along the length of the body under the door. I don't understand sir.
You beat me to a response unless he is talking about the insulators which are "glued" on.
Rick
Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

No c clips, brackets front and rear with machine screws.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:31 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

maybe the holes where the clips attach are broken out and slide down and out of postion??? send a picture without cover on and also of what you call a C clip, better help suggestions that way.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:37 PM
bulldog90
Instructor

Default Update

Thanks for the notes. I will take a picture this evening but the side cover attaches in front wheel well and rear through the mount that holds the side pipe so two contacts. Those two contacts do not provide enough support to hold it in place. Along the rail just below the door there are six Vs to which there are C clamps or nuts that hold the cover screws into. Any type of heavy bump and the cover and clamps slide right off. I think a picture is worth a thousand words on this so I will get one
Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Bulldog,

There should be a series of holes in the body below the doors not 'V' shaped openings. We had to repair the same issue on our '65.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldog90
Thanks for the notes. I will take a picture this evening but the side cover attaches in front wheel well and rear through the mount that holds the side pipe so two contacts. Those two contacts do not provide enough support to hold it in place. Along the rail just below the door there are six Vs to which there are C clamps or nuts that hold the cover screws into. Any type of heavy bump and the cover and clamps slide right off. I think a picture is worth a thousand words on this so I will get one
Each of those six locations on both sides should have a hole drilled in the fiberglass sill panel and a special machine-thread U-nut that accepts the machine-thread cover screws.
Attached Images    
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Here's a photo of one of the birdcage notches with side cover installed showing the U-nut and machine screw installed, easy to see with side pipe removed

Name:  Notches 6.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  32.9 KB
Old 09-05-2014, 02:26 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default No problem

Glad to help!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 AM
bulldog90
Instructor

Default Thank you - Thank you

Exactly the picture I was looking for. Makes sense as to why the c clips that were being used will not hold. I just could not figure out why and now I really cant figure out why somebody cut the Vs in the fiberglass. Clearly they used a template because they are all the same size.

Thanks again - I ordered the correct parts last night and will be doing a little fiberglass work this weekend to fill the holes.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 side pipe cover will not stay on??

Quick Reply: 67 side pipe cover will not stay on??