C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 carb idle question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:52 AM
mgistock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 62 carb idle question

I just installed an Edlebrock 1406 on my 327. The 327 has an aftermarket cam that closely resembles the specs for a stock 350hp, I can get the engine to idle at any rpm between 450 & up. If it is idling at 550 for instance, when i put it in gear (yes I have a Powerglide with stock converter) the rpm drops to bewteen 400 & 450. I have to set the idle at around 700 so that it will not stall when it is in gear. The timing is correct. Is this a carb problem? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm not sure there is a problem.

You have a third party carb on an engine with an aftermarket cam accommodating an automatic transmission. Sometimes you just have to have a compromise.

A 700 RPM idle wouldn't bother me unless it was stressing the transmission when shifting into Drive.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Make sure the emulsion A/F screws are adjusted with the car in gear and engine at operating temperature. That may allow you to richen it up a bit as that will help.

Hot rod cams with valve overlap pull spent exhaust back into the cylinder at low RPM's with the vacuum they produce so idle mixture needs to be richer to compensate. Combine that with a torque converter without much slippage and problems can occur. You could try to open the idle jet and change the A/F ratio but if you are not familiar with these types of changes it's better left alone.

Get notified of new replies

To 62 carb idle question

Quick Reply: 62 carb idle question