C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Aluminum intake manifold gaskets: RTV or Not RTV? That is the question.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum intake manifold gaskets: RTV or Not RTV? That is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous vacuum leaks, should I use RTV on the intake manifold gaskets when I replace them?

Any tips on replacing them would be very much appreciated!

To die, to leak....
Old 09-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would use a bead around the water jackets and that's it
Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

No, not everywhere on the side gaskets; however do use RTV on the coolant ports and at each end on the "Chinese walls" instead of those cheesy rubber strips IF the car is not being judged. Here is JohnZ's article on the job...

If you want to block off those intake exhaust runners to squelch fuel percolation using fuel injection gaskets to blank off the runners -- then now is the time to do that too. See picture.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Intake_Swap.pdf (1.43 MB, 113 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I never use the rubber pieces in the front and back. I use a bead of RTV instead and I believe it works better and prevents leaks.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:51 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

with all the above..

Plus have a shop put a straight edge on the intake to make sure its straight/flat....not warped/wavy...ask me how I know...better yet don't...its a sore subject...
Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Right stuff works great on intake manifolds.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Right stuff works great on intake manifolds.
It's the only thing to use. RTV sucks.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
No, not everywhere on the side gaskets; however do use RTV on the coolant ports and at each end on the "Chinese walls" instead of those cheesy rubber strips IF the car is not being judged. Here is JohnZ's article on the job...

If you want to block off those intake exhaust runners to squelch fuel percolation using fuel injection gaskets to blank off the runners -- then now is the time to do that too. See picture.
In order to block off the circled ports in the picture do I use these "63-67 FI Intake Manifold Heat Riser Block-Off Plates"?
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/5919/
Old 09-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't see why you couldn't use those plates....I just used the F/I gaskets. If you do that then you'll HAVE to wire open or remove your passenger side heat riser valve in the exhaust manifold. It also changes the exhaust tone some....doesn't bother some folks..others hate it...which is why F/I cars had a crossover pipe under the oil pan (which I added to my '61).

You can use Right Stuff but RTV works fine too...been on my '61 for 1/2 decade now..no issues.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

I don't see why you couldn't use those plates....I just used the F/I gaskets. If you do that then you'll HAVE to wire open or remove your passenger side heat riser valve in the exhaust manifold. It also changes the exhaust tone some....doesn't bother some folks..others hate it...which is why F/I cars had a crossover pipe under the oil pan (which I added to my '61).

You can use Right Stuff but RTV works fine too...been on my '61 for 1/2 decade now..no issues.
Can you point me to those block-off gaskets? I've searched and can't find anything that looks like them. Or maybe you're suggesting that I use FI intake manifold gaskets?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66jack
with all the above..

Plus have a shop put a straight edge on the intake to make sure its straight/flat....not warped/wavy...ask me how I know...better yet don't...its a sore subject...
Assume for a moment that the intake manifold is itself not perfectly flat and that it's warped or wavy. What do I do then? Are there any consequences to having them planed?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Robert Lewis
Can you point me to those block-off gaskets? I've searched and can't find anything that looks like them. Or maybe you're suggesting that I use FI intake manifold gaskets?
Yes. F/I intake manifold gaskets -- all the vendors have them
Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Typical FelPro small block intake gasket sets have the metal heat crossover blockoff plates.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Typical FelPro small block intake gasket sets have the metal heat crossover blockoff plates.
And some simply don't cut out for the crossover. No need to pay "Corvette" prices when it's cheaper elsewhere.

I use the Felpro with the cork gaskets. Clean all the surfaces. One side has a peel off adhesive strip on the other side I use a light coating of Permatex 2. Never have any leaks.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

Originally Posted by GCD1962
And some simply don't cut out for the crossover. No need to pay "Corvette" prices when it's cheaper elsewhere.

I use the Felpro with the cork gaskets. Clean all the surfaces. One side has a peel off adhesive strip on the other side I use a light coating of Permatex 2. Never have any leaks.
Could you be a bit more specific? There are dozens of variations: .030/.065/.125 thickness; pintoseal/composite/steel materials; and so on : http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...gaskets&page=2

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Take the advice of somebody, "...who's done it and run it". Buy these at Zip or equivalents elsewhere and avoid a bunch of confusion:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...skets-correct/

In stock and ships today if you order in the next few hours.
Forget about the thickness or separate block off plates or what phase the moon is in...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-03-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

Take the advice of somebody, "...who's done it and run it". Buy these at Zip or equivalents elsewhere and avoid a bunch of confusion:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...skets-correct/

In stock and ships today if you order in the next few hours.
Forget about the thickness or separate block off plates or what phase the moon is in...
That's what I wanted to know. THANK YOU!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Assume for a moment that the intake manifold is itself not perfectly flat and that it's warped or wavy. What do I do then? Are there any consequences to having them planed?
If the flatness is out of specification (don't know it for these surfaces, but it's not too many thousands), you can have them machined flat; however, if you take very much off at all, you'll have watch the intake lineups on the bolt holes and runners, but it would be odd, IMO, to see that much taken off. However, it is an aluminum manifold on iron heads, so you've got a little room for error.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

I had 8 thousandths taken off of both sides was burning "a lot of oil", after that was done problem fixed...most of it was between the bolt holes....

They wont/shouldn't charge you to check it for you, but, if they do it would be worth it....

With what Easy Rhino said....

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum intake manifold gaskets: RTV or Not RTV? That is the question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum intake manifold gaskets: RTV or Not RTV? That is the question.