C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default 63 power brakes

Toying with the idea of converting my '63 original non-power, all-drum brakes over to power, all-drum brakes using original parts (if the price tag doesn't approach the national debt).

I would need everything but looking at the AIM I need some insight:

1) Nobody (not even LICS) seems to have the vacuum fitting on the back of the carb to take the PCV and P/B hoses. No repros around.
Sources ? Or cobble something together ?

2) Is there a different M/C push rod for '63 power brakes? Again, I can't seem to find a repro around specifically for '63 P/B setup.

3) Are the brake lines (particularly the M/C line) different for P/B (there ARE repros for these items) ?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 AM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

http://www.mpbrakes.com/booster-mast...mbo-kit-bm1780
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,047 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You do need to use an original type booster or you will have hood clearance issues in a 63, the hood frame is notched 64 - 67. The original booster keeps the M/C more level. The brake lines are the same as non power if you are using a single M/C. The fitting on the carb can be made up of a 64 set up with very few mods. It is an easy install. The only thing is with power brakes you will not stop much better you will just lock up the wheels easy and send your passenger into the dash with just a touch of the peddle.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Frankie,

The 1963 Brake Booster is one of a kind, very rare, and very expensive. You probably could find the fitting at a plumbing supplier, believe it or not, should be same fittings, that go into the manifold where it derives its vacuum. The booster is cadmium and the vacuum hose fitting on the booster is on the passenger side not the driver side of the booster. It also has a different plastic fitting that connects the hose into the booster. You can try Dr. Rebuild, he did have some at one time.

Heck, for the price you will pay to refit with power ASSIST, not power brakes, you can put on disks all way around....

The booster itself goes for thousands of dollars, and you will need to change the top of the master cylinder to a hex bold not thumbscrew.

Tedious process... I know rebuilt mine and it took several months for just rebuild....

For all the work, you will find little difference as it really is not power brakes but power assist brakes.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Kinda what I figured. Looks like the benefit-to-cost ratio is not even close to what a disc conversion would work out to (which I did on my '61).
Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 AM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I used a 64 booster with no issues, but I have a later hood with the notch. I have not tried to fit the 63 hood back on the car yet.
I was able to source the correct PCV power brake carb fitting from LICS two years ago.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I looked in the LICS downloadable recent catalog and do not see a '63 vacuum fitting for non-F/I cars. Maybe I'm missing it or they no longer carry it. Priced out the power brake drum conversion and to go all original is about $1,700 including M/C and booster and sundry bits and pieces.

Pretty steep unless it makes a real difference. I can drive with the brakes like they are (EVERYthing on them is new) but it sure adds an extra dimension of driving excitement when stopping hard!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:37 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I looked in the LICS downloadable recent catalog and do not see a '63 vacuum fitting for non-F/I cars. Maybe I'm missing it or they no longer carry it. Priced out the power brake drum conversion and to go all original is about $1,700 including M/C and booster and sundry bits and pieces.

Pretty steep unless it makes a real difference. I can drive with the brakes like they are (EVERYthing on them is new) but it sure adds an extra dimension of driving excitement when stopping hard!
Frankie,

I am going to put them on my 67, I think with power disc you will notice more difference.

If I ever found a correct set up I would install them on my 63, it's a easier installation.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I agree.
Of course, no disc brakes (power or otherwise) originally in '63...so it'll be a non-original setup -- like my '73 Camaro front discs on the '61.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Huge difference with the booster...no real need for discs..IMHO

LIC. Part number 22-13k

Last edited by DucatiDon; 09-05-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 PM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Frankie I have been researching to do the same to my 63. I plan on going with the cadium plated repop which is very similar to original booster. The only difference is the mounting bracket. They have 4 mounting holes..2 that have to be drilled into wiper cavity and 2 that go thru original master cyclinder holes. They say to drive out the 2 studs thru firewall and insert new flange studs thru and bolt from inside firewall. Since the studs and original bolts thru firewall they should be on the same centers. I plan on cutting the bracket studs off and drill holes thru so i can leave original master cylinder studs intack and just bolt to bracket. I have read that the hood clearance is not a factor when using a single master cylinder since it is not as long as a single master. Also you can shim the top bracket a smooch if you want more clearance. I also plan to run vacuum from rear of manifold with a regular brass plumbing fitting...Should work out nice and a lot cheaper
Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I don't think that will work as the studs are on the back of the booster.....

Originally Posted by lonzoo
Frankie I have been researching to do the same to my 63. I plan on going with the cadium plated repop which is very similar to original booster. The only difference is the mounting bracket. They have 4 mounting holes..2 that have to be drilled into wiper cavity and 2 that go thru original master cyclinder holes. They say to drive out the 2 studs thru firewall and insert new flange studs thru and bolt from inside firewall. Since the studs and original bolts thru firewall they should be on the same centers. I plan on cutting the bracket studs off and drill holes thru so i can leave original master cylinder studs intack and just bolt to bracket. I have read that the hood clearance is not a factor when using a single master cylinder since it is not as long as a single master. Also you can shim the top bracket a smooch if you want more clearance. I also plan to run vacuum from rear of manifold with a regular brass plumbing fitting...Should work out nice and a lot cheaper
Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lonzoo
Frankie I have been researching to do the same to my 63. I plan on going with the cadium plated repop which is very similar to original booster. The only difference is the mounting bracket. They have 4 mounting holes..2 that have to be drilled into wiper cavity and 2 that go thru original master cylinder holes. They say to drive out the 2 studs thru firewall and insert new flange studs thru and bolt from inside firewall. Since the studs and original bolts thru firewall they should be on the same centers. I plan on cutting the bracket studs off and drill holes thru so i can leave original master cylinder studs intack and just bolt to bracket. I have read that the hood clearance is not a factor when using a single master cylinder since it is not as long as a single master. Also you can shim the top bracket a smooch if you want more clearance. I also plan to run vacuum from rear of manifold with a regular brass plumbing fitting...Should work out nice and a lot cheaper
I purchased my 63 Booster from Dr. Rebuild back in the 80's. He used to make a bracket for the booster. Don't know if he still does it. Years back, I picked up several power brake boosters from 62-63 GM passenger cars, the boosters were the same like on the 63 corvettes but the brackets were different.

Last edited by wonderful; 09-06-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:16 AM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
I don't think that will work as the studs are on the back of the booster.....
The boosters that I see have pressed in bolts in the brackets which are at least 1 inch or so from the booster .
Old 09-06-2014, 12:19 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to rain your parade, but that setup is for a 67 Corvette. It will work on a 63, if a person is not too fussy about accuracy.

Last edited by wonderful; 09-06-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
Huge difference with the booster...no real need for discs..IMHO

LIC. Part number 22-13k
That would be it!
Now - is the pedal power brake push rod the same or a different item?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That would be it!
Now - is the pedal power brake push rod the same or a different item?
Frank I'm not in the shop yet but the AIM should point that out, no? I'm thinkin' it's just a small extension bracket for the brakelight switch. ?

I have a box of those special brass fittings I collected when I(correction.... Cathie!) found a very nice dated original AFB at the Kissimmee Regional). When I go out I'll shoot a few pics of the fittings. AND.....I have a line on a original '63 booster, if he'll want to part with it......but probably $$$$.

If you recall Cathie's '63 had already been converted to '67 dual MC front disc/rear drum. It had to have non-'63 wheels for discs, and came with 4 Rallys which were covered okay with stock wheel covers, but I never liked those wheels on it. Just didn't feel right as you could see the slots through the covers. That MC jusssst made it under the hood but had a little scar there when we got the car.

Gimme a few and I'll checkout the stash for those brass fittings.

Sounds like a nice upgrade for that beauty!

Rich

PG vac hose clamp obiously not original type.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 power brakes

Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yup. I remember the power brakes on that car from previous pics. I bet you wish you'd kept it....but keeping wifey happy is priceless and she wanted the Jaguar.

I do know about the power brake pedal shaft bracket to trip the brake light too (its available in repro).

If your buddy wants to part with his '63 booster I'm up for it if the price won't require a mortgage loan. I have a line on another one but its crazy money.

They actually make a fiberglass hood 'patch' for the larger non-'63 boosters that you can glass in but I'm not dinkin up my original hood.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:16 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Actually the '63 funded the addition on the house for her sewing room! She already had the 2nd Jag.

Here's the pics. They've been just sittin' around so whatever you need is yours fair price.

Rich

Old 09-06-2014, 08:19 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

BTW, I'm heading to the guys house later to test my new C2 tool on his '66 project, so I'll take some pics and ask his price for the booster, and i think he has the mc too.

Quick Reply: 63 power brakes