C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie problem shifting into first after rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:55 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Muncie problem shifting into first after rebuild.

Just had my M21 rebuilt by a well-known rebuilder while sorting through my clutch issues. Have it all back together and about 250 miles on the car, and thankfully all the clutch problems and vibrations are resolved. Unfortunately, I have now introduced a problem that wasn't present before. Sometimes the Muncie just will not go into first gear at a standstill. It is an intermittent problem. Lever slides about 3/4 of the way into gear and hits a stop. When this happens, you can grab any other gear and engage fully. Move back to first and it still hits a stop. Only way to get into gear is to move it to neutral, release the clutch, and try once more. Then it usually goes in. Also, there is an occasional clash on downshift from 4-3 that was never there.

Some other information:
-Problem can occur with engine running or off
-When I recreated the problem with the engine off and me under the car, I removed the 1-2 linkage and found the trans lever still would not go into gear. So the problem is trans internal, not the shifter.
-Clutch is adjusted perfectly. Friction point is ~ 2" off the floor and there is 1" of free play at the top.
-Shifter is adjusted perfectly. All the correct spring clips on the linkage rods and cotter pin on the 1-2 clevis. No binding in shifter.
-Oil is 85/90 GL4, non-synthetic
-Only parts (aside from all the wear parts) changed during rebuild were hubs and sliders and speedo gear. All else was in good condition.
-Trans is ultra quiet and I never feel any vibrations or unpleasantness through the shifter.

The rebuilder is going to stand behind it and warranty the problem, but I still have to R&R the box. If there is anything to try before pulling the trans, I am ready and willing to give it a shot. Bring all suggestions.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Betty Floyd
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
Just had my M21 rebuilt by a well-known rebuilder while sorting through my clutch issues. Have it all back together and about 250 miles on the car, and thankfully all the clutch problems and vibrations are resolved. Unfortunately, I have now introduced a problem that wasn't present before. Sometimes the Muncie just will not go into first gear at a standstill. It is an intermittent problem. Lever slides about 3/4 of the way into gear and hits a stop. When this happens, you can grab any other gear and engage fully. Move back to first and it still hits a stop. Only way to get into gear is to move it to neutral, release the clutch, and try once more. Then it usually goes in. Also, there is an occasional clash on downshift from 4-3 that was never there.

Some other information:
-Problem can occur with engine running or off
-When I recreated the problem with the engine off and me under the car, I removed the 1-2 linkage and found the trans lever still would not go into gear. So the problem is trans internal, not the shifter.
-Clutch is adjusted perfectly. Friction point is ~ 2" off the floor and there is 1" of free play at the top.
-Shifter is adjusted perfectly. All the correct spring clips on the linkage rods and cotter pin on the 1-2 clevis. No binding in shifter.
-Oil is 85/90 GL4, non-synthetic
-Only parts (aside from all the wear parts) changed during rebuild were hubs and sliders and speedo gear. All else was in good condition.
-Trans is ultra quiet and I never feel any vibrations or unpleasantness through the shifter.

The rebuilder is going to stand behind it and warranty the problem, but I still have to R&R the box. If there is anything to try before pulling the trans, I am ready and willing to give it a shot. Bring all suggestions.
What did the rebuilder have to say about the problem?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:59 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Moving from Cars For Sale to General discussion area.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'd carefully check the clutch adjustment before anything else.

However, what you are doing to get into first sounds like "double clutching" to me -- which is what you did (back in the old days) to synchronize gears in non-synchro trannys.

Meaning - perhaps its a synchro problem...but Lord knows I'm no transmission guru.
I think your rebuilder owes you an explanation.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I think I would take the car to the tranny guy to let him have a look before pulling it out .

Bill
Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Unfortunately, sounds like a bad syncro/slider issue(s). Recheck the linkage set up, but I don't think that will help. A few miles may, but not usually.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,521 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 63split63
I think I would take the car to the tranny guy to let him have a look before pulling it out .

Bill

It's always wise to demonstrate the problem to the guy who's going to fix it.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:24 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The sliders should have a sharp edge on the ends of each of the internal splines. These sharp edges must engage with sharp edges on each of the small synchro teeth on every gear (except reverse). If these teeth on first gear are rounded, there will be times when that gear can not be engaged until they are aligned.

It might be time to inspect these small synchro teeth on each of the shifting gears. This inspection can be done by removing the side cover and using a mirror and flashlight, but it isn't fun.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Nick call Davids 4speed and ask him at 262.513.8331
Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Unfortunately, taking the car to the rebuilder is not a possibility due to distance. I'll make a video to capture the issues as best I can before I pull the trans.

Gearset is all OEM and he found all to be in excellent shape on teardown. The trans is smoother on upshifts than it ever was. The hubs and sliders are new replacements, not torque lock type. The blockers are forged, not the cast versions.

Feels to me like the first gear issue is a blocking ring too tight on the cone, and not sure about the 4-3 roughness on downshift.

I am going to request the old hubs and sliders go back in. I looked at them this morning and I think they are good enough to reuse.

Sucks to have to pull the trans again, but I am so pleased the clutch and vibration issues are gone that it isn't all bad. A trans is easy to fix. I drove the car at very high speeds this weekend and the driveline feels as smooth as my 2013, so overall I am happy. I was starting to worry the vibration was in the engine itself, so it's glad to find out that isn't the case.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Larrywalk explains it well. If you had no internal problems, why were the sliders changed? Worn sliders usually show up as "jumping" out of gear or difficult or impossible high rpm shift. Worn blocking rings can cause gear clash.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately, taking the car to the rebuilder is not a possibility due to distance. I'll make a video to capture the issues as best I can before I pull the trans.

Gearset is all OEM and he found all to be in excellent shape on teardown. The trans is smoother on upshifts than it ever was. The hubs and sliders are new replacements, not torque lock type. The blockers are forged, not the cast versions.

Feels to me like the first gear issue is a blocking ring too tight on the cone, and not sure about the 4-3 roughness on downshift.

I am going to request the old hubs and sliders go back in. I looked at them this morning and I think they are good enough to reuse.

Sucks to have to pull the trans again, but I am so pleased the clutch and vibration issues are gone that it isn't all bad. A trans is easy to fix. I drove the car at very high speeds this weekend and the driveline feels as smooth as my 2013, so overall I am happy. I was starting to worry the vibration was in the engine itself, so it's glad to find out that isn't the case.
Man do I feel your pain

My tranny out three times to get things right. Very frustrating for sure.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The forks were also changed (the old ones were heavily worn). When I recreate the Neutral to First hangup, the shift mechanism is bound up inside the trans somehow, pushing the lever and fork out against the cover. It cannot walk in/out if you push on it. Even when I pull back and engage second fully, then slide it back to first, the end play never opens up. It feels like the fork is not pushing on the slider at diametrically opposed points, instead that its pushing on one side of the slider and causing it to get cocked on the hub and bind up the whole mechanism. This is supported by the fact that releasing the clutch and re-engaging corrects the problem and allows it to shift into First (fork acting on another location of the slider to un-jam it). I will take the cover off and look.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:37 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by donbayers
Man do I feel your pain

My tranny out three times to get things right. Very frustrating for sure.

Best of luck to you.
What turned out to be your transmission issue? I didn't see the resolution in your original post. Thanks
Old 09-09-2014, 09:47 AM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
What turned out to be your transmission issue? I didn't see the resolution in your original post. Thanks
An extra shim in there that wasn't supposed to be.

I posted an update here
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hp-help-5.html
Old 09-09-2014, 12:48 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

The forks were also changed (the old ones were heavily worn). When I recreate the Neutral to First hangup, the shift mechanism is bound up inside the trans somehow, pushing the lever and fork out against the cover. It cannot walk in/out if you push on it. Even when I pull back and engage second fully, then slide it back to first, the end play never opens up. It feels like the fork is not pushing on the slider at diametrically opposed points, instead that its pushing on one side of the slider and causing it to get cocked on the hub and bind up the whole mechanism. This is supported by the fact that releasing the clutch and re-engaging corrects the problem and allows it to shift into First (fork acting on another location of the slider to un-jam it). I will take the cover off and look.
I'd definitely get the side cover off and make sure the forks are properly engaged. If only one side of the fork is right, the slider will not receive force equally and can hang. Never have seen one installed this way, but I do learn something new every day.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:23 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It is definitely something in the 1-2 hub and slider assy causing it to hang. I was able to watch the slider move through the fill hole while my wife shifted it between 1-2. Trans has to come out, no way around it.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie problem shifting into first after rebuild.

Quick Reply: Muncie problem shifting into first after rebuild.