C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

US Vintage Grand Prix from Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:51 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
There WAS a list on the VRRF , but I just looked and it has been taken down. I feel the list should have remained public, but that's not up to me.. The list is still maintained and shared between sanctions (I think). I will check with Ray S. at my next event. Who do you race with?
I now run primarily with HMSA and formerly General Racing.I run a 1964 Corvette with Rochester Fuel injection. 331 CI motor with stamped steel rockers and wet sump. Car has history back to 1960s and log books back to 1972. Ed Lowther, factory Chevy driver, drove it.
One of the requirement of being part of the vintage Motorsport Council, which SVRA was and probably still is , is that you report all incidents. It helps keep someone from getting put on probation and then just racing with other groups. The clubs got their insurance through VMC. SVRA was not publishing or sharing incident information in the last 7 or 8 years. I guess if you don't record an incident in your own records as SVRA no one can say your not sharing. When I look at so many crash photos from this race I do not think this is in the long term interest of getting out nice cars and having a good time competing. This isn't even a complete list from Group 6. I personally know of additional incidents that took out a Porsche and a Camaro.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

gbvette62,

THANK YOU!!

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:01 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I think what Howard is saying is that if the officials know you and know you are a good safe driver they MAY let a small incident slide, especially if it was a one car incident.

actually thats not what I was saying, from 1997-2006 I only raced at Road America and for a lot of years I watched the same guys cheat with big (sometimes all aluminum motors) funny brakes and dog ring transmissions, some of these same guys crashed over and over but because of who they were friendly with or because of whose trailer their car came out of they always got away with it, and just so no one thinks I`m a choir boy I ultimately bought the dog ring trans (used of course but now legal) and the the slightly bigger that legal 635hp motor (built from used parts), of course I could have built a legal motor but I`m not sure I could have paid for two college educations and law school for my pit crew, see I went racing with my wife and my two young (now 29 & 24) daughters, we upset a lot of people winning six group 6 races overall at Road America and turning a fast lap of 2:25.0, you can count on one hand (with a finger or two missing) the number of guys who have gone faster at Road America in a vintage Corvette, my car has been in the trailer since I won my last race Sept of `06 coming out only once to take a measurement. If anyone knows anyone looking to go fast in a vintage car with the sister car to the one Rick Hendrick paid $1,100,000.00 for have them call me...collect, and I`m more than willing you pay a commission. the pic below is from the il-fated 2005 crashfest at Road America, I qualified third in a 58 car field.

Last edited by redvetracr; 09-17-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:52 AM
jimLill
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I note that the thread mentions Warren Agor driving a DeKon Monza. That is a commonly made misconception. His Monzas were built by Warren and his team. There was AM1 and AM2. He was driving AM2 during his unfortunate accident which left he hospitalized with spinal issues.

http://www.scharch.org/Cars/Monza_Ra...MonzaAgor1.htm
http://www.scharch.org/Cars/Monza_Ra...MonzaAgor2.htm

Last edited by jimLill; 10-26-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 AM
jimLill
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a DeKon

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Also on Friday, Warren Agor crashed his old Dekon Monza, and was unable to compete the rest of the weekend.
See my recent post
Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Jerry, it's a small world. I used to race with Ed Lowther at Nelson Ledges and Pocono. I had a 76 Vette at the time.
SVRA just put out a slick new mag called Vintage Racing Quarterly, Tony clarifies a few things in it.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Enjoying the race chat!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Jerry, it's a small world. I used to race with Ed Lowther at Nelson Ledges and Pocono. I had a 76 Vette at the time.
SVRA just put out a slick new mag called Vintage Racing Quarterly, Tony clarifies a few things in it.
I remember Ed well. Here's a couple pictures of him and his 84 Lumber Corvette, "back in the day". The first one was from The Glen, in 79 or 80, and the other is from Pocono a couple years later.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Default Ed Lowther

Do either of you emember seeing Ed running my old car. I have several photos and documentation from early 70's of his running this car. I'd like to see any information you might have. Jerry

Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
Do either of you emember seeing Ed running my old car. I have several photos and documentation from early 70's of his running this car. I'd like to see any information you might have. Jerry]
I'm sorry, but my experience with SCCA, didn't really start until 78. My first trip to Watkins Glen was for the 69 Trans-Am, but because of school, jobs, money, etc, the years between 69 and 78, were spent mainly at the local ovals and drag strips.

Do you know if the car stayed in the northeast, after Ed stopped racing it, and if so who raced it? There were plenty of mid-years still racing in the northeast, well into the 80's. Do you have the names of any subsequent owners, where it was raced, or car numbers it raced with?

Old race cars often passed through many racers. It amazes me, how many old cars pop up, that I knew years ago, and how many different names were associated with some of them.

A friend of mine had a 68 Camaro, that he raced in the 70's. He had a fair amount of success with it, including 2 Northeast Division A Sedan Championships, and 4 trips to the Runoffs. A couple years ago, I found out that one of the guys that we're friends with, and race quite regularly, is racing that same Camaro today! It turns out that he actually sold the car to my friend in 75, and bought it back from him years later.

That old Camaro has a fantastic history. It was even entered in 5 Trans-Am's, including the 1968 Bryar Trans-Am, were Skip Barber drove it to a 7th place finish!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Finally, here are a few pictures from Friday night's Grand Prix Festival, held downtown in Watkins Glen.

Some kind of optical illusion in this picture? Across the street there appears to be a white Porsche 914 with an ENORMOUS hood hump on the (front end) trunk lid. Could it be a V8, maybe from a 928?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry Jerry, can't help there. Who did he sell it to ? I started racing in late 74 (SCCA drivers school) with a 66 Vette (that car had a great history). By then he had the newer car, that I think started as a 69. Looks like your car is a 64 ?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Great pictures!
I also really enjoyed reading through the thread great job thanks!

Originally Posted by sub006
Some kind of optical illusion in this picture? Across the street there appears to be a white Porsche 914 with an ENORMOUS hood hump on the (front end) trunk lid. Could it be a V8, maybe from a 928?
I think it' just a wrap around windscreen.

Paul
Old 10-31-2014, 02:49 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Sorry Jerry, can't help there. Who did he sell it to ? I started racing in late 74 (SCCA drivers school) with a 66 Vette (that car had a great history). By then he had the newer car, that I think started as a 69. Looks like your car is a 64 ?

This is a part of history that i think answers some of your questions. There is much more. My car was used by Ed and his son in the early 70s at races like Great Pumpkin and regional races for pittsburg area.

Last edited by jerry gollnick; 10-31-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:32 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Nelsons Ledges was my home track, I ran the Great Pumpkin a few times too. I'll have to dig up my old results sheets and pics, if I can find em! I know I have pics of Ed and I coming to the flag, but am sure it was with the newer car. I have a pic of the start of a Trans Am race with my car in it, I'll look at it also. Does your log book show a TA race ?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I think it' just a wrap around windscreen.

Paul
That makes sense, thanks!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:22 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Do either of you emember seeing Ed running my old car. I have several photos and documentation from early 70's of his running this car. I'd like to see any information you might have. Jerry

Jerry Here is a picture of Ed Lowther racing his 1962 260cid Cobra at Mansfield, Louisiana. It had a riveted on hood scoop, and lost a right front wheel while leading the A-Prod race. I would love to know where that car is now.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

I remember both "Babe" Headley and Sam Feinstein.

I can't say that I ever saw him race, but I knew of Headley, because he was from Paoli PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. He had an auto repair shop, Babe's of Paoli, which still may be in business. I've seen a number of pictures of Headley's 69 L-88, but never any of him in a mid-year.

I saw Feinstein race a few times, but that was in the late 70's, and he was co-driving Mike Oleyar's 73 Corvette. I think Sam was much better known for his green AC Cobra, than Corvettes. He was racing the Cobra in the early 70's, winning the SCCA AP Championship around 73-74. Al Joniec, a well known east coast drag racer, was building his engines. Joniec was sponsored by Rice & Holman Ford, and raced an assortment of Ford drag cars, including a altered wheelbase 65 FX Mustang, a Pro Stock Boss 429, a 427 SOHC Match Race Mustang and one of the first 68 Cobra Jets, which he won the Winternationals with. His shop, "Mr Speed" in Pennsauken NJ, was about 3 blocks from my house. Even though they were primarily a Ford shop, and I was a Chevy guy, I visited his store quite often.

I'm pretty sure that Feinstein is still in the Philly area. The Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC), had their National Convention at NJ Motorsports Park in 08, and I know Feinstein was there. SAAC has a couple chapters in the Eastern PA/NJ area. You may want to reach out to SAAC, and see if someone there can put you in touch with him? SAAC will be having their 2015 convention at Pocono, in conjunction with the August SVRA race there. Sam Feinstein may attend it?

This is a part of history that i think answers some of your questions. There is much more. My car was used by Ed and his son in the early 70s at races like Great Pumpkin and regional races for pittsburg area.

Quick Reply: US Vintage Grand Prix from Watkins Glen