C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help no oil pressure !

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM
FRChutch
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok here is what happened, with the new oil pan from summit the baffling was not the same as the stock pan, it hit the pick up on the pump and rotated it out of the oil leaving it above the baffle. After getting a new pump and pick up I ended up using the stock pan after straitening the rails and all seems good to go. A few things I learned, both from my mistakes and the parts suppliers mistakes were as follows :

As John Z and others have stated no matter what the supplier says measure the oil pan to figure out what gasket to use, Summit insisted that their pan used the thin gasket and it actually uses the thick one as it measures 2 3/8 inches ( if I remember that correctly ) from rail to front seal area, I had used what Summit recommended which was the thin gasket so if I had oil pressure it would have leaked in a short amount of time.

I replaced the pump and pick up as the past installer had attempted to weld the pump and pick up together, with that and the press fit between the two parts was no longer enough to be sure it would not fall off or rotate in the future, so I replaced both parts.

Another thing I had happen was I went to get the pump and asked for a Melling M55 but the box contained an M155, after looking at the Melling info the parts store assured me they were the same, for the most part they are, they look and fit exactly the same the only difference I could find was the port for the pick up was much larger, and it would require a different pick up, so I had to return it for the correct one. There are also at least 2 pick ups that are available, only one will fit the stock pan, the Summit pan required the other pick up.

I am now back together, started with a full filter canister of oil, primed the oil system, hit the key and all is well !
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.
Jim

Last edited by FRChutch; 09-22-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The pickup should be brazed to the pump body. You could probably also use regular 450*F solder paste, but it is not as strong

Trying to weld sheetmetal to cast iron, is not a good idea.

If you do braze the pickup to the body, remove teh pressure relief spring and ball first.

Do not forget to reinstall the spring and ball.

Doug
Old 09-22-2014, 02:01 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Thankfully, brazing the pickup to the pump is no longer necessary. Pioner came up with this mechanical attachment. Easy to install and allows for re-positioning of the pick up.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Good you found the problem.
Just for the record, If you replace the oil pump and the supplier provides the wrong pump, you can install the distributer without engaging the pump. When I installed my distributer it went in so easy, I thought,
I can't be that lucky to hit the slot the first time. I removed and measured the shaft and the distance to the pump. The pump was over 1/2 inch below the shaft. I pulled the pan and returned the pump and the shop told me they had given me a 1957 chevy pump that is different.??????????
Don't really know what it was but it was a recipe for disaster and can happen.
Larry

Last edited by Larry P; 09-22-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Larry P
When I installed my distributer it went in so easy, I thought,
I can't be that lucky to hit the slot the first time. I removed and measured the shaft and the distance to the pump. The pump was over 1/2 inch below the shaft. I pulled the pan and returned the pump and the shop told me they had given me a 1957 chevy pump that is differant.??????????
Yep. Original '57 pumps were different. Lucky you figured it out quickly.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:20 AM
motorwiz
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Westlotorn;1587859446]I use a speed handle to prime the oil pump,

Hi I have SBC intake off and using a drill/primer, oil flows past the primer at the top distributor hole in the block is defective ? anybody tried grooving the distributor and using o-rings to ensure a tight seal between the block and the distributor , as this is how the lifters get oil ?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It sounds like you have the wrong priming tool. It should fit tightly, engage the pump and work without leaking. Dennis
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM
motorwiz
Advanced

[QUOTE=Bluestripe67;1588390015]It sounds like you have the wrong priming tool.
the tool is right , as it was low oil with the distributor too.
has anyone dealt with this ?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:23 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

There is no oil pressure between the top of the distributor housing and the engine block. No need to "O" ring it.

There is pressure around the bottom of the distributor. That's where the lifter oil passes.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:17 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM
There is no oil pressure between the top of the distributor housing and the engine block. No need to "O" ring it.

There is pressure around the bottom of the distributor. That's where the lifter oil passes.
thats the issue, as I have the intake off. I can see oil just gush around the sides of the tool, it measures the same size as dist. I never had good oil at the lifters when it was running.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by motorwiz
thats the issue, as I have the intake off. I can see oil just gush around the sides of the tool, it measures the same size as dist. I never had good oil at the lifters when it was running.
This is what mine looks like. I understand some of those engine primers will spin the pump but won't route oil to the lifter galley via the groove in the lower end of the modified distributor you see here. I don't know what type you have?
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

This is what mine looks like. I understand some of those engine primers will spin the pump but won't route oil to the lifter galley via the groove in the lower end of the modified distributor you see here. I don't know what type you have?
Can it hurt to cut groves or notches in the bottom for o-rings, just seems like a good place to have o-rings to ensure proper flow. ya know
Old 12-02-2014, 01:03 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

GM never used o rings on distributor housing.
It has worked for many millions of distributors.
Figure out what your problem is and don't do unnecessary modifications in my humble opinion.
Bruce B
Old 12-02-2014, 02:59 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Can it hurt to cut groves or notches in the bottom for o-rings, just seems like a good place to have o-rings to ensure proper flow. ya know
I would hurt if you couldn't get the distributor to drop all the way down due to interference from the "O" ring.

Don't try to re-invent the wheel here.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The proper tool mimics the annulus near the bottom of the distributor housing to provide for oil flow to the lifter galleries, and it doesn't need O-rings.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 PM
motorwiz
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The proper tool mimics the annulus near the bottom of the distributor housing to provide for oil flow to the lifter galleries, and it doesn't need O-rings.
the blue tool is the one I have, just cuz gm didn't use orings doesn't mean it was smart, they did use orings on the valves, and that was
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

the blue tool is the one I have, just cuz gm didn't use orings doesn't mean it was smart, they did use orings on the valves, and that was
Knock yerself out!

Get notified of new replies

To Help no oil pressure !

Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 AM
motorwiz
Advanced

Knock yerself out!
Big help thanks MikeM wtf over.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Adding o-rings to a priming tool is a great solution to a problem which doesn't exist. The priming tool, when used properly, works just fine without o-rings.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:22 AM
motorwiz
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Adding o-rings to a priming tool is a great solution to a problem which doesn't exist. The priming tool, when used properly, works just fine without o-rings.
this is why I ask, the block hole must be deformed, I have have intake off , so I can see whats going on! it gushing oil around the tool GUSHING. I know it's seated right and the tool is the same diameter as the distributor. I had weak oil pressure from the get go, when I tried to set the lifters when it was running they didn't squirt like they normally do, just a trickle, if that.
I'm asking if anyone else has had this issue, and how they FIXED it ?
And replacing the block is not a option ! hence I say o-rings
I'm going to see if I have a caliper at my shop that I can get in there to check the ID of the block hole.

Quick Reply: Help no oil pressure !