C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help no oil pressure !

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:02 AM
FRChutch
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Help no oil pressure !

A little background, I just added the correct intake so the manifold was off and the distributor was out and reinstalled after the intake was in place, car was started and timing set with no issues, I can't say I am 100% sure I checked the oil pressure at that point but believe if it was low I would have noticed it as it is a usual check after any motor work. So while I was working on the car I replaced the oil pan and used a 1 pc. gasket to stop a front seal leak, the pan was from Summit and I used the gasket they recommended for it. It seemed a little snug at the rear, meaning it did not just slide into place but it was not something that had to be forced, I believe it was the blue pins from fel pro that were a bit too snug going thru the pan bolt holes ( they were left over from another gasket kit from past work as there were none with the new gasket. It definitely did not seem like it was hitting a hard stop. I got all of the hardware in with no issues and completed the reassembly. I added a new filter after verifying that the groove for the canister gasket was clear, there was one stuck in the groove that I removed, I assume that there should be no other o ring or gasket in the grove other than the new one that is installed with the new filter. Added 5 quarts of oil and verified the level on the dipstick started the car and no oil pressure shows on the gauge, it normally carries 30# to 35# at idle and 55# to 60# at cruise rpms. I show 0# nothing at all, so just looking for suggestions, my plan is to remove the line from the gauge and make sure it is not plugged by blowing air through it, if that does not do it I will add a new gauge at the fitting on the motor to verify that the gauge is good ( it never showed any issues before ). If none of that works my next concern is if there is a chance that the oil pick up is against a surface that is not letting it pull in the oil, remember I said it did not fall into place... I did verify the depth of both pans and they are the same and the internal baffling looks similar in placement so I don't think it's an interference with the pick up but worth a mention. I did not let it run for long when I saw there was no pressure so maybe I did not let it run long enough ? it had been sitting unstarted for at least a week. Sorry for the long post but I want to take the right steps as this is the correct engine for the car so I don't want to hurt it by doing something stupid.. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Jim
Old 09-18-2014, 08:18 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Could be the pickup clearance as mentioned. Also could be that somehow the distributor didn't engage the oil pump when reinstalled. Not sure how that could happen without being apparent. I have Fords, Mopars and my Corvette and I get some of the distrbutor details confused from memory but I think a nylon collar is used that can fail. My 427 has an aftermarket steel one as I remember. I think you are going to have to pull the pan again to investigate but first I would check the distributor drive as it's easier.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Oil

Is it possible that the oil pickup fell off? It takes some time to fill the filter to get a reading on the gauge. Since you are using a canister type filter, it is difficult to fully prime the oil filter before you install. You could also remove the distributer and directly prime the oil pump. Remove a valve cover to see if oil is coming up through the push rods. Sounds like the pickup fell off or is blocked by a baffle. Jerry
Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 AM
FRChutch
Instructor

The distributor is something I thought about that's why I mentioned it the post but I don't think you can install it and not have it engage, I know I did have to walk it around a bit as described by Lars to get the pump to engage with the shaft so I think it is good but will verify it. As far as priming the filter canister, I did not do it, I did not even think to do it,,,, could it be that I have not let it run enough ? Would that still not show any pressure at all ? As far as the baffles are concerned I don't see anyway that it could block the entire pick up, if there was an interference it would be on the end of the pick up that is already blocked not the open end.
Thanks for the ideas so far !
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

How are you checking the pressure? With the guage in the car or hand held?

Im thinking line may have a clog.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Use a shaft to prime the oil, pump that way you will not damage the engine if the pickup fell off and you have no oil pressure.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Betty Floyd
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
How are you checking the pressure? With the guage in the car or hand held?

Im thinking line may have a clog.
Make sure the shaft between the oil pump and distributor hasn't come off.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,521 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Before you bolted the new oil filter on, did you fill it with oil? If you did not, it will take an unnerving amount of time for the oil pressure to come up. The problem could be as simple as this.

However....... if it was my engine, I'd pull the distributor and spin the pump with a drill motor and a priming tool to ensure that it is possible to develop pressure. I'd do this before I even thought about starting the engine again.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Before you bolted the new oil filter on, did you fill it with oil? If you did not, it will take an unnerving amount of time for the oil pressure to come up. The problem could be as simple as this.

However....... if it was my engine, I'd pull the distributor and spin the pump with a drill motor and a priming tool to ensure that it is possible to develop pressure. I'd do this before I even thought about starting the engine again.

Good luck,
Jim
If you didn't pre-fill the canister/filter then there are those few gut-wrenching seconds before you see the oil pressure climb...it can even be long enough to hear a slight knock before the oil gets everywhere.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 AM
FRChutch
Instructor

I think at this point I will pull the distributor and prime the pump, that will let me verify the gauge, fill the canister and make sure the oil pump and rod are still good to go.
Thanks guys !
Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Just for future reference. The distributor cannot seat in the block without it mating to the pump drive (male/female union) intermediate shaft. That shaft is held to the pump shaft (male/female union) by a collar, some plastic, some metal, the metal one is preferred. I agree about filling the oil filter canister first. Dennis
Old 09-18-2014, 10:37 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Jim, do you have hydraulic lifters? If you do and you really do have NO oil pressure, the engine will definitely let you know. The valves will be clattering like bolts in an old tin can.

If you do have hydraulic lifters and they are not clattering, the problem is very likely in the gauge. A problem that many owners of older C3's have encountered. Flush the line to the gauge and the gauge itself with a can of "brake-clean" and it will very likely free up the goop that is not allowing the gauge to respond to the pressure from the oil pump.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-18-2014, 11:51 AM
FRChutch
Instructor

I did not let it run for long as it was late and I did not have time to trouble shoot it but the lifters were still pumped up and not clattering. I do believe the distributor / pump connection is good, it has to be or it won't go together, the gauge was fine before the work was done so it seems that I just did not give it time to work up pressure. I will pull the distributor and prime the pump with a V/C off and go from there. From now on I know to fill the canister, looking back that should have been a no brainer, but here I am.....
Old 09-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I use a speed handle to prime the oil pump, I like being able to feel the oil start to circulate, it is easy to hit 40 psi with a speed handle rotated by hand. Once you have pressure in the system give it 30 seconds of turning and your good to go.
I tape the extension and socket to the speed handle so there is no chance of dropping it in the engine. ( That would make for a bad day )
Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you didn't pre-fill the canister/filter then there are those few gut-wrenching seconds before you see the oil pressure climb...it can even be long enough to hear a slight knock before the oil gets everywhere.
Yeah, mine will take as long as 20 seconds or so, as Jim said "an unnerving amount of time" before I get ANY pressure and, like Frankie says, will start to get a slight knock before oil gets everywhere.
Probably should fill the filter first, as I've often wondered if damage could occur, but it's kind of a PITA when you're laying on your back and don't have a lift.

Last edited by Gary's '66; 09-18-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I never pre-filled an oil filter until I got my split window coupe - no good reason just never did it. I do it now but again, not for any good reason as I'm not convinced its absolutely needed.

And you can't on some cars as the filters are upside down; even on Ferrari's...
Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Good point. The filters on my riding mower and Harley are horizontal.

Get notified of new replies

To Help no oil pressure !

Old 09-18-2014, 02:16 PM
FRChutch
Instructor

Only difference is the mower and Harley filters are much smaller !
Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I never pre-filled an oil filter until I got my split window coupe - no good reason just never did it. I do it now but again, not for any good reason as I'm not convinced its absolutely needed.
I do it as well, but it has been ever since we bought a 3406 Cat in one of our trucks. That filter takes a full gallon to fill!!!

Imagine the racket that would make waiting for pressure!!!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by DIP51
I do it as well, but it has been ever since we bought a 3406 Cat in one of our trucks. That filter takes a full gallon to fill!!!

Imagine the racket that would make waiting for pressure!!!!!
It's a diesel for heavens sake... How would you know???

GUSTO

Quick Reply: Help no oil pressure !