C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Painting over Chrome Plating

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Painting over Chrome Plating

Some knucklehead previous owner chrome plated the interior window trim in my SWC. Besides being incorrect, some of the chrome is flaking off so I want to re-paint it this winter and wondering if I need to get the chrome "stripped" before painting. Anyone have experience painting over chrome plating?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

John,
I've painted over chrome pieces on my kids car and I just scuffed the entire surface with about an 80 grit sand paper until dull then shot it with self etching primer. After the self etching primer dried I shot a couple coat of regular auto primer. I then wet sanded with 800 grit being careful not to remove all the primer and then shot 3 or 4 coats of paint. Make sure you degrease the area in the beginning! It seem to stand up fine.
Don
Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Pretty common mod - IIRC 62Jeff and others had similar things done to those parts. I would think you would have to remove, or at least roughen up, any slick chrome parts. You could certainly do a test spray out on those upper rear small corner pieces around the top rear of the doors as an experiment.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:17 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Special 1963 Option!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Pretty common mod - IIRC 62Jeff and others had similar things done to those parts. I would think you would have to remove, or at least roughen up, any slick chrome parts. You could certainly do a test spray out on those upper rear small corner pieces around the top rear of the doors as an experiment.
Hi Frankie,

I was really hoping this was special, early '63 option but that's not my luck. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get the chrome stripped, it's the same process but in reverse. Regardless of how I do it I'll try a small piece first - I've learned my lesson just jumping to paint projects.

John
Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
Hi Frankie,

I was really hoping this was special, early '63 option but that's not my luck. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get the chrome stripped, it's the same process but in reverse. Regardless of how I do it I'll try a small piece first - I've learned my lesson just jumping to paint projects.

John
We've all been there John...you just have to hitch up your drawers and get 'er done. The worst part is re-installing the freshly painted parts without dinging them up. They have to hit those clips around the door opening perimter just right while mating to the adjoining metal trim piece - takes some fiddling...

And watch those screw lengths on the front A-pillar vertical trim pieces IIRC there were some that were longer than others - don't mix 'em up !
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-18-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:50 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

With some of the chrome flaking off you might be best off just stripping it. Probably not too terribly expensive as there would be no prep work.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Every 63 I have ever restored or helped to work on, the upper windshield piece and the two upper side pieces were chrome plated and painted over. Including my 63 that I am finishing now, which I am positive has never been monkeyed with. It was a one owner that had not been driven since 1966. And my red car that I was the first person to do any restoration, it looked exactly like that. Chrome plated with black paint over the top. Maybe John Z can shed some light on this.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting over Chrome Plating

Quick Reply: Painting over Chrome Plating