C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Press Molded vs. Hand Laid Nose

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:49 PM
copterman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Press Molded vs. Hand Laid Nose

Now that I am finished funding 2 college educations, ready to get started on my 62 restomod. I purchased GTS hand laid flared rear quarter panels, and need to make a decision about the nose. I had the body soda blasted and after the paint and filler was removed, there is a lot of damage to the nose that warrants replacement. My dilemma is to go with Sermersheims press molded front end or purchase a hand laid nose. I plan to go with C4 suspension, corvette corrections chassis, LS motor. 5 speed etc. Anyone have an opinion, what would look better, easy of installation, etc?
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

When I was building my '61 ..similar to your build. Also a Corvette Correction chassis. After soda blasting (and seeing the exposed damage )......everyone, well almost everyone,..suggested Sermersheims as the first choice. Reasons were that the time saved in fitment will make up for the difference in cost.

I doubt that you could tell that my front end was replacement...which wouldn't be the case with a hand laid.

...and I would guess that the car would have a little more value when it appears to have stock panels.

The quality of the Sermersheims front end was very nice...and knowing that I bought absolutely the best of everything including a Dana 44 differential, Al Knoch interior, etc., and had a professional (Mike Coletta) do the assembly, should make a difference when I get rid of it.

I didn't want that nagging feeling that I could have done something better when it was finished...which would eventually eat on me enough to dislike the car. These cars are just too expensive for a poor boy like me to not protect its value without attempting to get the best workmanship and components available.

Mileage may vary of course...

Good luck...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 09-19-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo..
Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

IMO press molded panels are the only way to go because at the end of the day a hand laid panel will require more labor to fit and fill.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 AM
KMS396
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front end had been lopped off over the wheels and replaced with a hand laid one piece nose before I got it. It fit terrible, and I have spent the last few months getting it right. The contours are all wrong, it's wavy, etc., etc. It's been a real pain.

I toyed with the idea of replacing the whole thing with a Sermersheims but didn't want to pay the money or wait three + months. When it comes down to it, it would have been easier replacing the whole front end then messing with this, but it would have cost more.

At this point, my car would have been painted had I just replaced the whole thing, and I would never have to think about it again. Now, when I fully restore this car I have to rip the front off and do it right. I feel silly now.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Sermersheims, even if you have to save/wait a bit longer, and never worry about it again.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

One thing...I made the mistake of buying the Sermersheims front end which included the dash cap. That was a mistake...it is MUCH harder to fit.

I would suggest that you buy the front end that begins at the front windshield channel...that way you don't disturb the windshield alignment which affects the hard and soft top alignment, door glass alignment, etc. etc.. And maybe the birdcage if it's a little warped...(but fits).

Stan...
Old 09-21-2014, 03:07 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I just purchased a C1 front clip from Corvette Image ... to replace the hand laid front end which looked like it was attached by a 10 year old on crack cocaine. It should just about be ready for the long trip by ship to Aus. Bruce Uggilton from Corvette America negotiated a better price than I could buy it for directly from Corvette Image because he is a large purchaser of their parts and only took 4 weeks and with his commission I still got it cheaper. Sermersheims is a long wait. I'm at work now but will check contact details and names when I get home from work.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Rick WI
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went through the same process on a 66. New SRIII frame, GTS quarters and Sermersheim front clip. Now that's it's all back together without a doubt, the right way to go.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I purchase a one piece hand laid for my resto mod. Required a lot of labor, but then I'm retired and don't have a Life! I also don't care about future resale values because I will be driving the hell out on my car and have no plan to sell it, but if you care about future value and don't have the time to spend fitting and finishing a one piece then go with the pm jigged front clip. When I priced a pm front clip. they were running around $5500 plus boxing and shipping. Another grand in my case plus a 5 month waiting period. Some guys have wait longer than that for one. Also the pm also required some time for fitting so don't think it's a plugs and play.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:22 AM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you think you can buy a hand laid and then grind it smooth. Forget it and get a PM.
Grinding down all the ugly hand laid glass is an Ungodly Ugly Ugly job.
I have done it and never again.
Now, if you don't care about the underside look, then go Hand laid. Hand laid are stronger, but Much heavier and thicker which can give fitment issues.
Keep in mind, if you think you can grind the hand laid smooth, remember your grinder cannot get to every corner and crevis you need to grind.
Just my opinion.
Good Luck
Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnut
If you think you can buy a hand laid and then grind it smooth. Forget it and get a PM.
Grinding down all the ugly hand laid glass is an Ungodly Ugly Ugly job.
I have done it and never again.
Now, if you don't care about the underside look, then go Hand laid. Hand laid are stronger, but Much heavier and thicker which can give fitment issues.
Keep in mind, if you think you can grind the hand laid smooth, remember your grinder cannot get to every corner and crevis you need to grind.
Just my opinion.
Good Luck
I have skimmed coated it with very light body filler, lightly sanded it then lizard skinned it. Very difficult to tell and it looked great.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:19 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
IMO press molded panels are the only way to go because at the end of the day a hand laid panel will require more labor to fit and fill.
I spent alot time on my 1969 getting my press molded fender panels to line up with the door. I had to add fiberglass to the door as they made the fenders wayy too thick. I measured the oem panels vs. the new pm panels, called the manufacturer (not Sermersheims) who said he "would check the molds used" . I'm sure I wasn't the only one effected. So don't just assume that pm panels are going to line right up. YMMV

Get notified of new replies

To Press Molded vs. Hand Laid Nose

Quick Reply: Press Molded vs. Hand Laid Nose