C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Fun Fest

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Corvette Fun Fest

From what I can see it looks like the amount of Corvette people and cars are not as big as years past. We will see what Sat. brings.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

It was pretty light. The walleye sandwich was good, though.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:34 PM
revupL78
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

My dad has been going to funfest from the beginning. Hasn't missed a year, 17-20 years now?
Stop by say hi if you see this
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
From what I can see it looks like the amount of Corvette people and cars are not as big as years past. We will see what Sat. brings.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

The cars started rolling in Sat. morning about 9:00 am and did so for several hours. Turned out to be a nice group of people and cars. Dinner was the same as last year but you did not have to leave and come back for the concert. Seeking of the concert it was 38 special and I for one was not impressed so by the end of the second song I was out of there, and so were a lot of other people. I know you can note please all the people all the time but when your crowd leaves 2 or 3 years in a row early you would think they would change the type f music they hire for these events. I pretty much think this wll be my last Fun Fest for me.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

When it was free it was huge. Even the concerts were great.

I think you're talking about a totally different event from the ones I used to attend. Things change.

I 'm also hearing from vendors that Carlisle is shrinking Vendors keep track of stuff like that much better than we do.

Shows are getting smaller and classic Corvette prices very flat. Hmmmm.

Richard Newton
Old 09-21-2014, 12:21 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

All the shows, especially Bloomington and Carlisle, are feeling the ebay effect. Most of us in the old days would pool our pennies and look forward to the next major swap meet and bring home a bunch of stuff. Now, any time you want anything... rare... original... repro... whatever, you go online to a catalog or ebay and have it at your door in 3 days. Same for selling... how many people want to drag a pile of parts to a swap, stand there for 3 days, and pay the fees these days? Most people sell on ebay or something, no muss no fuss.

I believe this has gutted the swaps in every show.

As far as Mid America, there is no swap to speak of. This year I saw about 5 small swap spaces plus the couple where Mid America was selling their seconds. There were a couple rows of people with cars for sale, half by one local dealer.

This show has always been a way for MAM to promote their business... absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I like the shows for swaps, older cars, auctions, and car sales. MA was a parking lot full of C4-C7s and evening events that do not interest me in the least. I'm not sure what people think of the seminars.

I wander in most years because its close, and a way to spend a couple hours (at the most) on a pretty September day, but I dont understand the idea of spending a weekend there.

This event is great for certain Corvette owners, but I think the appeal can be limited for early car owners or people that arent interested in 38 Special.

My opinion is if MA wants to jumpstart this show, they should find a way to involve more parts and car vendors (tough, I know) and try to draw some more of the early car enthusiasts. Add a small auction? Clarify a daily admission rather than push $35 for a weekend? Seems like the biggest interest are people hoping for a Celebrity pick award. I dunno, it's tough these days.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
When it was free it was huge. Even the concerts were great.

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Most people sell on ebay or something, no muss no fuss.

This show has always been a way for MAM to promote their business...

Clarify a daily admission rather than push $35 for a weekend? Seems like the biggest interest are people hoping for a Celebrity pick award. I dunno, it's tough these days.
Free versus $35 to walk around a few hours is a bit tough. I understand it, though. Back through the years, this was Mike saying thanks to all who bought his products and kept him in business. But it got larger and a lot showed up who never bought a single MA part ever.

It is tough to swallow thanking someone by spending a lot of money on them and they have never bought anything from you.

But at the same time, there isn't enough to draw you there for $35. Or is there?

There used to be a free lunch, and I think a dinner. Figure $7 for lunch most places and $10 for dinner, you hit $17.

Yes, .38 Special isn't that big of a draw today, but you'd still get hit with a $10 cover at most bars at least and you'd pay $30 or more at almost any concert venue, whether state park or actual concert house.

So we are at either $27 or $47, depending.

Then figure there is a second day, with another lunch. So $35 isn't that outrageous.

Of course, I haven't been in years and have no idea what you are getting for your $35. But the old days of caravans that were miles long going to Bloomington, hotels and motels booked a year in advance for 30 to 50 miles away, and a real weekend long party are unfortunately long gone.

The owners have changed, both by aging and by not being the typical partying blue collar Mid America late '20s to '30s guy anymore.

Still, I hope they continue it. maybe I'll get a chance to go again.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK, I'll bite, when and where is fun fest. I've never heard of it (maybe that's why fewer people attend-------------they don't know about it!).
Old 09-22-2014, 01:16 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK, I'll bite, when and where is fun fest. I've never heard of it (maybe that's why fewer people attend-------------they don't know about it!).
Tom,

It's in Effingham, IL (southern ILL). Mike Yager's Mid America Motorworks is about 5min north of town. I had my reservations to fly out and drive a friend's '66 convertible down to the fest but I had to cancel due to too many other things on my plate now. It sounds like I didn't miss much.
I did want to meet Mike face to face though.

Verne
Old 09-22-2014, 02:15 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Verne,
I know exactly what you mean about other priorities.
Since Feb, I've been trying to get the new building started-------------FINALLY, it's on the move. The new building will be bricked to match the house with a breezeway between the little door on the side of the garage and the new building.
Since our house was built, the back has gone from this

To this

And finally, MOST of the concrete work is done. The rest should be done by Wed.

This will be the drive off the side of the front driveway coming into the front of the new building with one overhead door, and two overhead doors on the rear. Thus, both the existing garage and the new building will be drive through. At this rate, if I keep it up, I can get rid of my lawn mowers!!!
By the way, the little metal building goes away, but I'm retaining the slab that it is on for parking.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 09-22-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Verne,
I know exactly what you mean about other priorities.
Since Feb, I've been trying to get the new building started-------------FINALLY, it's on the move. The new building will be bricked to match the house with a breezeway between the little door on the side of the garage and the new building.
Since our house was built, the back has gone from this

To this

And finally, MOST of the concrete work is done. The rest should be done by Wed.

This will be the drive off the side of the front driveway coming into the front of the new building with one overhead door, and two overhead doors on the rear. Thus, both the existing garage and the new building will be drive through. At this rate, if I keep it up, I can get rid of my lawn mowers!!!
By the way, the little metal building goes away, but I'm retaining the slab that it is on for parking.
That should be nice when done. Plus the poor little metal building has been with you for years now, & you just letting it go.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:40 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by robert miller
That should be nice when done. Plus the poor little metal building has been with you for years now, & you just letting it go.
The metal building is assembled with hundreds of Phillips head sheetmetal screws. I'm going to take it apart and haul it and lots of other scrap metal parts to the recycler for $$$$$. So I'll get a little of my money back. I have lots of Muncie brass syncro rings, gears, pistons, blocks, heads, etc, so I hope to make a few hundred $$$$.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 PM
W Guy
Drifting

The metal building is assembled with hundreds of Phillips head sheetmetal screws. I'm going to take it apart and haul it and lots of other scrap metal parts to the recycler for $$$$$. So I'll get a little of my money back. I have lots of Muncie brass syncro rings, gears, pistons, blocks, heads, etc, so I hope to make a few hundred $$$$.
I'm sure your neighbors love you! I guess you won't be making a trip to Tulsa anytime soon.............

Anyway, I'm glad to see you making so much progress. Who says 70 is too late to expand???

Verne
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 PM
histoy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

We arrived at Fun Fest Thursday afternoon and left Sunday morning. I have no problem paying $35 for the weekend. It's cheaper than Bloomington Gold. We go to meet with our Corvette friends from another state, and to look at other mid-year Vettes and talk to the owners. Back in '98 we bought carpet, seat covers, and door panels from Mike, but now we get all our parts from other vendors. At this year's FF we did have the chance to buy some C7 stuff for our son's Christmas gifts. Overall, we feel that the venue is the same year after year, and only the entertainment changes. We probably will skip next year's event.

My biggest gripe is the high prices for the motels. We got a reduced "block rate" that was $200 a night after taxes. It would have been at least $50 cheaper had this not been a Corvette weekend. Also they charge your credit card as soon as you book the block rate, and there isn't a refund if you cancel. BTW... I was also upset that the motels for Bloomington Gold jacked up their room rates as well. I guess if the Corvettes are coming to town, their thinking is let's soak them for all we can get.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:19 PM
W Guy
Drifting

All the motels everywhere do that when there is a big event in town. The best you can do is find a Mom & Pop place well head of time and book it.

Verne
Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
All the motels everywhere do that when there is a big event in town. The best you can do is find a Mom & Pop place well head of time and book it.

Verne
Or stay with friends who are only a hour away and commute to the event every day. Better yet, use their Corvette for the commute! Sorry you couldn't make it Verne, I was really looking forward to seeing you.

I still say we need to support these large type of national events or they will just go away. I use them as an excuse for some down time and to visit with fellow Corvette enthusiasts. Being part of a large assemblage of Corvettes has its own special vibe that I just find very cool.

Thomas

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Fun Fest

Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BB767
Or stay with friends who are only a hour away and commute to the event every day. Better yet, use their Corvette for the commute! Sorry you couldn't make it Verne, I was really looking forward to seeing you.

I still say we need to support these large type of national events or they will just go away. I use them as an excuse for some down time and to visit with fellow Corvette enthusiasts. Being part of a large assemblage of Corvettes has its own special vibe that I just find very cool.

Thomas
The camaraderie of the old days of Bloomington was incredible. Thousands of Corvettes from all over coming to the event. The 50th Anniversary celebration in Nashville was much the same way. It is too bad it conflicted with Bloomington, since it split the draw, but in the Nashville and Bowling Green area, which was around 65 miles away, there were Corvettes everywhere. It was a lot like the old days, except most people were old.

But they brought their Corvettes by the tens of thousands. Nothing like seeing C1s and C2 driven from a 1000 miles away.

And yet, if you look in here about the NCRS Winter Regional and the venue change from Old Town, Kissimmee to the airport at Lakeland, you'd think they were asked to drive a thousand miles away or something.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

We always stay at what was the old Hampton Inn just on the south side of I ( 70-57) and the main exit at Effingham. I think our room was $129.00 per night and we got breakfast so it was not to bad. I have been going to FF from the start but I think this may have been my last one. My friend and I stayed for one song and that was all I could take of that and the same for last year, only we left at 1/2 way thru the first song. I guess Mike or his staff thinks we are all 25 again and like that kind of music. For me it just don't rock my boat or light up my tires. So for that I think this was my last Fun fest unless they change the entertainment line up. It is good seeing friends that you may not get to see but 1 or 2 times a year but if I want to talk to them that bad I will just call them on the cell.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:32 PM
histoy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Could you share with us the current name of that motel?

Quick Reply: Corvette Fun Fest