C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Has Anyone Painted Their Valve Covers?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckaroo
Since you guys are restoring valve covers... I have a standard steel 327/300 pair with some rust pits. What could be used to fill these in and hold up to the heat?? Any ideas ???? Thanks.

Polyester glazing compound such as Euro Soft. Skim in on and sand it flush, then prime/paint.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Painted valve covers

You NCRS guys need to look the other way. I painted my covers.

I masked off the sides of the covers that I did not want paint on, then I used a greasy lipstick (what you do have that in your tool box) and covered the tops of the fins and the Corvette name. After the paint dried I wiped off the lipstick off.

if I had to do it again I wouldn't of waited so long to wipe off the lipstick. The paint on the lipstick wanted to dry along with the paint in between the fins and it became hard to wipe off.
Attached Images  

Last edited by stratplus; 09-23-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by stratplus
You NCRS guys need to look the other way. I painted my covers.

I masked off the sides of the covers that I did not want paint on, then I used a greasy lipstick (what you do have that in your tool box) and covered the tops of the fins. After the paint dried I wiped off the lipstick on the top of the fins.

if I had to do it again I wouldn't of waited so long to wipe off the lipstick. The paint on the lipstick wanted to dry along with the paint in between the fins and it became hard to wipe off.
AT one time, years ago, it was VERY common to see valve covers painted as above. Also, on early FI cars with the finned top plenum, it was common to paint between the fins to match the paint on the valve covers. I once had the covers and FI on the 56 painted in the same manner. In time, that fad faded away, but now it seems to be coming back. Personally, I like the paint between the fins/script, but I've decided to leave them unpainted.
LOOKS GOOD!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Stratplus, did you do it in situ or did you remove the covers?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I didn't use Chapstick but many years ago (actually I think I was about 18) I came up with the idea to use Vaseline and a Q-tip to cover the parts I didn't want the paint to stick to. It sure beat pin striping tape or cut out masking tape templates. I've had the need in a few instances in the not-so-past to use that technique again.

Verne
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Jeff
Stratplus, did you do it in situ or did you remove the covers?
I removed the covers to paint them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has Anyone Painted Their Valve Covers?