C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

maxjax question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:17 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default maxjax question

how do you like, do you wish you had been able to get regular lift and last, what is max height you can get car up in air, i.e. how many feet from floor to bottom of car....thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
how do you like, do you wish you had been able to get regular lift and last, what is max height you can get car up in air, i.e. how many feet from floor to bottom of car....thanks
I had 9 foot ceiling. Maxjax would lift to about 4 feet(design) which is plenty of room to sit on a chair and work. They work great. Whether you want a regular lift would depend on ceiling height. With 12+ foot ceiling regular lift would work. 8 foot would not. I moved and now have 12 foot ceiling. I have two 4 post bendpaks and the maxjax. 2 post like maxjax is to working on car. 4 post is for working on or storing. Probably will sell the maxjax.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Like mrtexas said, if you have the ceiling clearance for a "full" 2 post lift, that would be the first choice. But if you're in a "normal" home garage with 9 or 10 foot clearance, I think the Max Jax is awesome.
Especially if you're doing an engine install (like putting an LS motor with a Tremec) where you need to raise the car up and down all day long to work out "issues".
I've had the 'vette on the lift for days at a time, my Chevelle convertible, a Chevelle wagon (3950 lbs), a BMW, my truck, you get the idea.
The biggest drawback is that if you live in a track home I can almost guarantee that your garage floor will not be thick enough to use safely, and will need to be modified. The flush mount inserts require at least 5" thick concrete to hold safely. My garage floor was BARELY 3" thick. So I cut out two 4'x4' squares, dug down and poured concrete 9 inches deep and rebarred those chunks into the existing concrete. I used over 3,500 lbs of concrete.
If you're going to laying under a car the last think you want is doubt about whether it's safe or not.
But having done that, I could not be happier with the lift. It will not lift the car high enough to stand under, but it's enormously helpful and WAY quicker that using floor jacks and jack stands.
Good luck,
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To maxjax question

Quick Reply: maxjax question