C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lower pivot shaft bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Lower pivot shaft bushings

I'm trying to remove the lower pivot shaft and bushings from the control arm and having trouble. I've soaked these for days in penetrating oil but won't budge. I'm using a 1 1/4 inch socket and assume they are threaded into the control arm but I am not sure. Are they press fitted?

I appreciate your help.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 05:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktholin
I'm trying to remove the lower pivot shaft and bushings from the control arm and having trouble. I've soaked these for days in penetrating oil but won't budge. I'm using a 1 1/4 inch socket and assume they are threaded into the control arm but I am not sure. Are they press fitted?

I appreciate your help.
Everything on a C1 front suspension is threaded; the shafts have male machine threads, and the bushings have female machine threads to accept the shafts, and special convoluted male threads where they enter the holes in the control arms. Do you have the ST-12 manual? It goes through the rebuild in great detail.
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi John,

Thanks. That's what I thought and I do have the ST-12 manual. However I am unable to budge the bushing from the control arm. The control arm shaft moves freely along the female/male threads. I'm using a 1 1/2 socket and breaker bar. I'll keep working it and maybe try heat unless you have a suggestion

Thanks again
Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Six point deep socket and a long breaker bar. Would have been easier to loosen with the arm still attached to the car for support. Check around the outside of the bushing in case someone put a tack weld there to hold it. Pilot Dan
Old 09-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I finally was able to remove the bushings. I had to use a 30 inch pipe over my breaker bar, but the extra persuasion worked!

Get notified of new replies

To Lower pivot shaft bushings

Quick Reply: Lower pivot shaft bushings